Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-20-2003, 02:19 AM

Default pro tools through computer speakers?

This is probably really basic but, is there a way to play back pro tools sessions through my computer speakers? I have an external amp with yamaha nearfields but would like to be able to hear through my computer speakers for comparison purposes. It seems to me there has to be a way but does it involve a purchase of more hardware? Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-20-2003, 06:16 AM

Default Re: pro tools through computer speakers?

I'm not sure about working the whole session on your computer monitors. But, you can always bounce to disc and play an AIFF, WAV or MP3 file on other platforms like Nero, Media Player, etc.

July

MP3's
Old 07-20-2003, 06:50 AM

dwkick, you can, but how you do it depends on what specific piece of Digi hardware you are using.

001? 002? MBox?
Old 07-20-2003, 07:47 AM

i made a double polarity switch for my second pc to allow the sound to go to the pc-speakers, or to ch1-2 of the DIGI001. works and is cheap.
another solution can be the A and B connections (found on most stereo amps for home use) to switch between speakers.
The DIGI001 is also capable to send mix over two pairs of outputs. (monitor out, with volume controlled and 1-2 out with fixed volume)
greettzz.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:50 AM

Thanks guys, I have the digi 001. I thought there should be some way to do it internally without coming out of the 001 box and going back into the computer since the audio is already in the pc anyway. Like somehow getting the signal to my pc soundcard. Again, thanks for the help..

steve
Old 07-20-2003, 09:43 AM

There's no way to do it internally. The best way is from the main outs of digi to line in on your computer sound card.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:32 AM

or you could do the absolute cheapest way, and just get one of those 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch stereo adapters and just unplug your computer speaker line and plug it into the headphone out of your digi 001 or 002, which ever you are useing.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:04 AM

Thanks again Mr_Seven and Calvin. I couldn't see the forest for the trees on this one. I was convinced that it could be done internally. Either of your suggestions will work. I'll decide which is more convenient and do that. Thanks for opening my eyes. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 11:10 AM

Well I don't mix threw my computer speakers but I always bounce down to disk and then listen to the whole mix threw my computer speakers, that way it is easy to compare to other artists.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:31 AM

Yeah Calvin, I've bounced the mix and listened. I just wanted to be able to do it without going through the step of bouncing.. and that way I could switch back and forth between the two as David Franz mentions in his book. For two reasons: 1) the three or four minutes it takes to bounce and 2) the extra disk space the new file takes. As of this writing I only have one 36 GB hard drive and have anywhere from 4 to 8 takes worth of 8 tracks of drums for 8 songs so until I am through working with those tracks, hard drive real estate is at a premium. The 1/8" to 1/4" adapter to the 001 will work fine. I can rig up something that will enable quick switching between the two..

Thanks again,

Steve