Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-10-2001, 04:33 AM

Default Plugins&Mastering

Hi,

Does anyone use the L1 ultramaximiser. I do alot of bouncing tracks within protools with effects and I generally use the L1 as the final plugin to adjust the tracks gain and use the dither function. Do you reckon this plugin should be used only on the stereo mix. I was thinking whether tracking & using it on the final mix, maybe slight overkill on the sound.
Also, what does everyone use for mastering.
I just use the L1 and eq. I was wondering if anyone has tried the mixmaster rack. I have heard some good reviews on this product. Anyone compared it to plugins.

cheers

wildman
Old 09-10-2001, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Plugins&Mastering

You can use the L1 on anything you like. You may very well have a track that really dynamic- and that's a great way to get it under control. I have had the best results throwing a few compressors in line first though to calm it down. If a track is generally not dynamic- you could use it just to normalize in real time- although that CPU power could be better utilized elsewhere.

Lots of folks like the L1 for mastering. I use it too. I have a friend who won't touch it though and insists on doing his limiting by pushing the "virtual" meter into the red. To each his own. "Maxim" pretty much does the same thing as the L1 and sounds just as good in my opinion.

As for mastering- Getting your self a really good compressor is a necessity. The Bomb Factory Fairchild and LA-2A are my favs. A multiband compressor like the Waves C4 would also come in handy. As for equalizers... the waves stuff is good in that you can fine tune it to do just about anything. The Bomb Factory Pultec sounds killer but it's not very versatile.

That's enough to get you by in PT. I assemble my whole mastering project in PT, do a bounce, import the file into Steinberg's "get it on CD" (only $50 bucks) add the ids and burn.

Any questions- e-mail direct at [email protected]
Mike
Old 09-10-2001, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Plugins&Mastering

I think for the L1 the question is not who uses it, it's who does not!
For commercials it's common to really 'L1' the voice and then the stereo-bus as well, just pushing it to the max.
In the 'real' mastering studios they often use outboard stuff like Weiss or Jünger equipment. You can push it even harder with that, though a mastering guy once told me he would gain loudness 50% EQing the mix with his sadie (multiband like a few hundred bands!) and 50% limiting.

For the L1: check the result carefully, it makes strange noises if you overuse it!