How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Soft Key Programming issue

All,

I am trying to set up a series of softkeys to do some repetitive tasks that I face on a daily basis.

1.) I want to capture the name of a video clip, move 10seconds down the time line (all of my videos have 10 sec of leader) create a marker and paste in the name.

2.) capture the name of a video clip, select bounce to quicktime, tab down to the name field, paste the name, remove the last 16 characters from the name.

3.) Similar to 2, but bounce to file instead of quicktime.

I can program most of this in. I can select the region (CNTR - TAB), rename the region (Shift ALT R) and copy the name. After this point the automating gets inconsistent. It will usually hang at the rename window. Adding pauses seems to help, but it will usually try to add new markers without actually copying the name.

Is there an easier way of doing this? If not, what am i not doing that would enable this to work better?
Denver, CO
Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Soft Key Programming issue

You may need to add a lot more pauses into your macro. Lots of times it is doing everything right but it does them too quickly, before the computer can respond.

I have similar macros to these and tons more. I use Keybord Maestro which is an awesome tool built specifically for this type of stuff. It is much quicker to program macros and debug them to get them working just right. They can easily be backed up or shared with multiple mahines. I would highly suggest looking into that app if you want to dive deeper into macros and keystroke automation.

The eucon ones are great for quickly accessing your favorite functions or for grouping together toggling groups of a few commands, but for extended macros it is difficult to quickly create them get consistent results.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:08 AM

Thank you Dan,

I Will look into keyboard maestro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Smith View Post
You may need to add a lot more pauses into your macro. Lots of times it is doing everything right but it does them too quickly, before the computer can respond.

I have similar macros to these and tons more. I use Keybord Maestro which is an awesome tool built specifically for this type of stuff. It is much quicker to program macros and debug them to get them working just right. They can easily be backed up or shared with multiple mahines. I would highly suggest looking into that app if you want to dive deeper into macros and keystroke automation.

The eucon ones are great for quickly accessing your favorite functions or for grouping together toggling groups of a few commands, but for extended macros it is difficult to quickly create them get consistent results.
Denver, CO
Old 04-07-2017, 08:21 PM

I also use Keyboard Maestro for exactly this purpose. Much better than trying to do it all with Eucon. And it can do incredibly complex tasks if you want. But even if you just want macros it's worth it.