Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

Here is my story: I bought Mac Pro & PT in may 2008. I waited months for the leopard suport. And instability of the system killed me more than my ex-system (Cubase&Yamaha mLan).
I tried and I kindda manage to work up a system good enough to have an acceptable workflow, but there's far from good for exemple to have other musicians in my studio, and get paid for.
Now we are on PT8.0.3 , waiting for Snow. It came with a lot troubles, I have the SN DVD but I just don't dare to install it.
And now we're supouse to wait for whatever big news at NAMM?
I am so tired of all this. I hope that Digi will really close up with Apple.

There is no way I will go to HD. I spent a lot of money, I need to see that DIgi works for me as a homestudio owner first. From 2008 until now, that is not proved.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMusic View Post
So I take it we all agree PT 8.0.3 is a bit of a disaster?
So far, (qualified), 8.0.3 seems to be holding it's own now in XP.. but I had to go into the bios and go through the RAM timings and voltage..

I would suggest anyone having problems to check with their RAM manufacturer and get the exact specs for their RAM and set the bios manually.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Mmmm, doesn't sound like a nice way to make music. 8.0.3 LE is working pretty well for me, though I'm doing most things in Logic now.
Given that this is the Mac section, how would one 'tweak' the BIOS?

Anyway, to get back on the topic at hand... I too am another who would feel somewhat nervous about upgrading to a system (LE to HD upgrade offer) which looks to be knocked down a couple of steps on the ProTools ladder once new hardware is announced.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick View Post
My bottom line is that a home project studio doesn't require HD. For $5,000.00 I would use the money for outboard gear or acoustically treating my listening room.
Here! Here! I couldn't have said it better myself. I don't know where along the line people started to think HD was targeted at the average home studio. It really isn't, unless you have a $1mil+ home studio! That's where all the native versions come in.

I think it's most people's lust to have the biggest, greatest, most expensive version, even if they have no need for it.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Mmmm, doesn't sound like a nice way to make music. 8.0.3 LE is working pretty well for me, though I'm doing most things in Logic now.
Given that this is the Mac section, how would one 'tweak' the BIOS?

Anyway, to get back on the topic at hand... I too am another who would feel somewhat nervous about upgrading to a system (LE to HD upgrade offer) which looks to be knocked down a couple of steps on the ProTools ladder once new hardware is announced.
I was just offering up what worked for me.. ymmv..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!