Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-19-2017, 03:43 AM

Default Re: LtRt AAX plugin

I have Dolby Surround Tools as a TDM for sale in the classifieds which I believe does 4-2-4 encode-decode. Open for offers...

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 AM

I got to our local Dolby consultant and he told me, that it is possible with the Dolby Atmos Production Suite. I have to check out the workflow to see if it's feasible.
If it works, it's the cheapest LtRt and other formats encoder/decoder on the planet

Cheers
Maik
Old 09-20-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsian View Post
I got to our local Dolby consultant and he told me, that it is possible with the Dolby Atmos Production Suite. I have to check out the workflow to see if it's feasible.
If it works, it's the cheapest LtRt and other formats encoder/decoder on the planet
Hello,
If it's feasible and it works, hope you will explain how to.
I am very interested!
Thanks
Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 AM

I will definetly try it out. But don't know yet, when I'm able to.
You can get a 30 days demo on the Dolby page.

Cheers
Maik
Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 AM

Yes, the Dolby Atmos Production Suite will output LTRT. You can feed it anything up to Atmos, 7.1, 5.1 and it will downmix to various formats. The workflow is a bit klunky, but it can be done.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeHD View Post
In the Wavetools are no a directly preset, but I thought you can build this with the options?

Encoding manually

Decoding is difficult, if you want to listen the downmix in Dolbymode, you need a external reciever or a dolby decoder plugin.

Encoding here:

-----
Creating an LtRt signal is very similar to creating LoRo--at first. The LFE channel is discarded, then left channel and center channel (at -3 dB) are added, and then the right channel and the center channel (at -3 dB) are added. Handling the surround channels marks the point of departure from similarity. Left surround and right surround are added together to create a single "S" signal. This S signal is added out of phase (180 degrees) to the left and center signal to create Lt, and added in phase (zero degrees) to right and center signal to create Rt.
----
http://www.tvtechnology.com/audio/00...nd-ltrt/185096
This is not entirely correct, the surround channel is added +90 and -90 degrees, which is not the same as +0 and -180. In the latter, imagine something being panned from front to surround. Halfway the pan the right channel of the matrixed stereo signal would cancel out due to the original right channel and the -180 degrees surround channel. The sound pan now goes from front > to left > to surround instead of front > to surround.
The proper way is +90 and -90 (you can do a 90degree phase shift using an 'all pass' filter).

This phase shift is also the reason the LoRo can sound better, but it depends a lot on your own mixing/panning style. For example, when you pan a stereo ambience in 5.1 halfway to the back for more envelopment, the LtRt contains the original stereo ambience plus a copy +90 -90 degrees. A LoRo would only contain the original stereo ambience.

Last edited by Farhoof; 09-23-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I will definetly try it out. But don't know yet, when I'm able to.
You can get a 30 days demo on the Dolby page.
You're right, I'll try as soon as possible.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:39 AM

I tried Dolby Atmos Production Suite Demo today. It semmed to work without any problem to get a downmixed LtRt back into Pro Tools.

Cheers
Maik
Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I tried Dolby Atmos Production Suite Demo today. It semmed to work without any problem to get a downmixed LtRt back into Pro Tools.

Cheers
Maik
That is brilliant news! I will be installing 12.8 in a machine and give it a try.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:23 AM

Update...

I managed to create a session to encode Fullmix/ DX-Stem/ SFX-Stem and MX-Stem at the same time to LtRt (you have to do it in realtime).
All you have to do is configure inputs (5.1) and outputs (stereo) in the Dolby Renderer application as needed and the send- and return-plugins in the ProTools session.
I recorded on new tracks and LtRt are in sync witch the 5.1 tracks!

Cheers
Maik