Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-01-2002, 09:55 AM

Default SSL advices

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying SSL4000 Channelstrips to use before the protools.

But I'm not familiar with SSL consoles, and I know that there are some different modeles and options, especially for EQs (E02, E242, G292), could someone help me, explaining me the differencies ?

Many thanks.
Old 11-01-2002, 08:33 PM

Default Re: SSL advices

I can't help you with the different models but I can give you a bit of advice.

If you're not familiar with the sound of these strips then don't buy them. They're not that good.

Most respectable producers never use the Pre's or EQ in these boards for tracking.

They rent a bunch of old Neve's.

The Mic Pre actually stinks. You can buy a pre for about $400 that sounds better.

The EQ, during mixing, is OK but only because most of us don't have enuff Outboard EQ (Neve, Pultec, API) for every single channel.

Actually the compressor (Not the 2 buss one) sucks also.

Why do people use these consoles.

My experience with these boards is that Old Neve's sound too vintage for most modern mixes. The SSL's have a thin plasticy sound that can't be achieved on a Neve.

Anyway, the Pre is not what you want. IMHO
Old 11-01-2002, 10:06 PM

I most definately agree...

Why would you ever rack those modules?

What the hell made you want those? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 12:17 AM

I don't know. If you want that plasitcy old record sound, you kind of have to reach for the SSL, don't you?
Old 11-02-2002, 12:47 AM

daish,

SSL makes a killer stereo compressor, but they're are not well known for the pre-amps. AMS-Neve makes new 1081 channel modules (pre-amp/eq) for a lot less. Besides, have you see the size of SSL channel strips?! They take up about 12 rack spaces! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2002, 03:01 AM

Thanks for your answers

I'm a bit surprised by what you said about SSL, I was really thought they were a worldwide quality standard.

One of the producer I like very much is Dr DRE, and I had read an interview in EQmag where he said he really likes EQs and compressors of the 4000 series, he said also he usually use a very few outboard gear, except 1073 neeve for mic preamps.

I was looking to the 4000 channelstrips essentially to record synths and drum machines using dynamics and eqs.

To talk about money, my intention was to buy them used, the price is about 1200$ for one channel which is less than half the price of the new 1081 modules or of any 1073 copy.

As you guessed english is not my born language, I hope this answer don't seems agressive, I really appreciate your advices.

Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2002, 01:26 PM

The pres in the 9000 are really nice. Much better than the G+. While I myself am a die hard Neve 1073/1081 user, I know many reputable rock engineers who only use the 9k Mic pres (on purpose) and their stuff sounds really good. Also the E series EQ is really nice (also available in teh 9K series).

SSL gets a bad rap from their earlier sutff so most people wrote them off, but the new stuff is much better. Using it as outboard is a little odd as the idea behind it is that you get everything you need in the console and don't need to use as much outboard gear. Heck, I didn't even know you could use it as outboard (except the Alan smart stuff).
Old 11-02-2002, 01:42 PM

This is why misinformation in the internet age is dangerous!!!

First of all the outboard SSL micpre/EQ has existed for years, its called the SSLFXG383(it retails for around $3500). The stereo buss comp is also available as outboard unit, its called the SSL FXG384(it retails for around $3200). Both of these units sound better outside the console, you'd be surprised, you wouldn't think they are from an SSL.

Second of all, the SSL does not sound "plasticky", people make it sound so. If you believe the whole SSL vs. Pro Tools buss thing, they both sounded identical(according to the test), so does that mean that Pro Tools also sounds "plasticky"? Its the user and the music(production) which contributes to the plastic sound, the SSL is just a tool, a very powerful one at that. It has great routing options and its laid out to make mixing an easier task. I'll go on record in saying that i like the way it sounds, but I like Pro Tools too and Neve's. Whatever gets me there.
Old 11-02-2002, 02:23 PM

If I were to use the words and terms like
compressor
DIY
buss
type 4000
stereo

... all in the same sentence, would I get slapped ?
We talking about the compressor that uses the DBX202c or DBX2150 ?

I seem to recall that one of the SSL's used the SSM2017 chip at the front end. I think if you have the money the Neve approach or even Telefunken (Mike [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] pre) would better serve you at tracking time.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:52 AM

If you check out the LogicFX G383 [which for all intents and purposes is a "G series" mic-pre and EQ], it's actually a seriously good sounding unit.

I guess when you get the mic pre and Equalizer out of that crap sounding console... they're actually rather cool sounding... go figure.