How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 06:22 AM

Default PT8 + rewired Reason 5 + Akai MPD24(or such), about midi controllers

Heya..

Recently I searched ways to use my controller (mpd24) with reason rack stuff via rewire and PT8. I thought there would be more threads about it, spent 2 days finding them. Of course in addition to playing and midi recording reason gear via rewire I specifically wanted to control parameters on the devices in reason with my mpd24 hooked to pro tools midi input devices. This is what I got so far.

Now, if you use rewire as PT(master) - Reason(slave) and some controllers/keyboards I recon the best way to do it is to configure the device(s) in PT's midi studio and not detecting or adding anything into reason's 'keyboads/control surfaces'. If you do you end up having multiple synth's playing at the same time and partial midi functioning all together due to two programs using the same midi ports.

So now you can't use remote override mapping(this is for external gear that is hooked in to solely to reason) which I though would be exactly what I was looking for 'cos it would be darn easy to just map the nobs and sliders on the go while you create. This would be the perfect world.

Instead you need to configure you midi keyb/controller's input in the advanced external control menu you find in reason. Then click the advanced midi in the hardware interface of reason and you'll have an option to patch any desired device on any of the 16 channels of midi that your controller is now sending data to. ok.. so what about the cc numbers that seems to be fixed. I used vysex mpd24 editor(available in akaipro site) to map the nobs and slider on the mpd24 to control what ever I wanted on a device in reason.

I'm kinda hoping that someone tells me "I'm light years behind in everything, just push this and that and you can use the efficient remote override mapping and 'learn from midi function' integrated in reason." It just feels so 80's/90's stuff to open up the MIDI Implementation Chart (that propellerheads has so kindly included in the appendix) and decipher what ever controller code is equivalent to what controller function to get a CC number. For instance Malströms 'Filter B freq.' is CC74 and it's midi controller name is 'Controlsoundcontrol5 (brightness)'.

furthermore...

yes, I have installed the Reason remote codecs/maps that Akai endorses and for the same reason I'm feeling little discouraged hence with rewire and PT I can't have the benefits that Akai originally intented for the use of mpd24+reason.

I did configure the mpd24 also in reason's 'keyboards/c.surfaces' while rewired to PT and tried remote overdrive/learn from midi function on a nob of Malström and it did recognize all the 16 pads of mpd24 but none of the nobs or sliders? so that's what i mean about the partial functioning.

I'm guessing I just need to upload a reason preset for the mpd24 or something but I just wanted to post this in case someone else is struggling with this and maybe some of you can shed a little light on this. Later!

-zen