Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Does .zip compressing song folders affect audio quality?

Getting conflicting info, and would like to know more.

The only reason I even consider .zip compressing song folders is because it seems to facilitate internet transfer. It is difficult to upload folders without making a .zip of them, and transferring hundreds of audio files separately is not practical.

I read that the Apple OSX Finder's built in compress function creates a bit for bit copy of the files within the folder, but that under Windows, zipping has options for data compression, including no data compression.

Tried to search for answers, but didn't come up with much. Any info is appreciated.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Does .zip compressing song folders affect audio quality?

Zip compression absolutely, definitely, full-stop has no effect on audio quality. It is a totaly lossless data compression system used for programs and data (so would be useless if it wasn't lossless). Zip in OSX and Windows is no different.

Pete
Old 01-27-2010, 01:04 PM

.zip (or apple 'compress this file' ) does not do anything to audio files -- it's a great way to group a small session into a single file.

another way to do this: make a .dmg - use disk utility -- but then the .dmg file can only be mounted on a mac. But it works great and is faster than making a zip.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:01 PM

...i recommend zipping even single audio files before you send them via internet; it's a way to ensure they do not get corrupt.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM

Just a side note:
If you export all tracks as singles tracks and have a lot of silence on some tracks, the zip-file will have a reduced file size. This is a useful side effect for transfers via internet.

Kind regards

Mark
Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 AM

Oh my... How many times do I have to explain this to our clients! At some point I just give up and send them the wavs.
Once a client complained about bad quality and insisted on blaming it on the zip compression. After sending the wavs, obviously he was hearing the same problems. Turns out he somehow managed to adjust his software gain way above 0db while the volume on the speakers was at minimum.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 AM

I had a producer once complain that the mix didn't sound as good after unzipping. Turns out he was only listening to the left channel.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
Just a side note:
If you export all tracks as singles tracks and have a lot of silence on some tracks, the zip-file will have a reduced file size.
Thanks everyone for the info.

I was wondering how the compressed song folder could be 1/3 the size of the unzipped folder and still have all the info, but this part makes perfect sense, since the files were flattened and there was a lot of silence in the files.