Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2002, 06:08 AM

Default Request for Ptools 6 - region colours

as someone who has been using other software for years and now find myself having to use protools. one of the hardest things to put up with is the lack of visual information in the edit window, I am hoping that in 6 there will be an option to colour the regions individully and that when you add a new track the colours will not all change as the old tracks move down the page.
And it would be great if the midi tracks had a background colour for the regions in the notes view so that you could tell what was what without having to go and select the regions view.

just a thought.

oh and some type of instant split tool that you select and where ever you click it splits the regions

[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Request for Ptools 6 - region colours

Sorry you're having to *suffer* using ProTools. It's been my system of choice for almost 11 years, and quite frankly, most of the people here on this ProTools forum seem to like its ease of use and the simplicity of the interface.

But, maybe you'll get your wish if it doesn't make the program too garish and just like all the others. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 08:38 AM

That was a little harsh, Nexxt. I'm all for simplicity, but it would be nice to have custom colors for tracks. It would make it easier to locate things, especially when dealing with 40+track sessions.
Old 12-14-2002, 08:59 AM

you no what- i have been involved in audio production as a musician and producer for 20+
years and i have been seeking info on many different forums for awhile now -
but i have never witnessed the rudeness and myopia
that i have found on this forum.
thanks for making my decision easier nexxt and all the other a**holes who frequent this board
protools is a tool not a your spoiled only child
it is brought to market by a large profit driven
corporation
it is not the holy grail of salvation in need of
a cadre of fanatical adherents willing to die for it

and to the idiot who calls himself nexxt the piece of crap software and hardware you began using 11 years ago (oh, you are sooooo cool)is not the same that digi sells now, jeesh!
by the way i drive an old nissan truck - and i'm willing to die for NISSAN!! wanna fight!!

crawl back into your cave, give back all your upgrades and use the hardware and software you had 11 years ago, cause it's PERFECT
Old 12-14-2002, 09:42 AM

I'd like to be able to choose to color regions. Mainly for arranging ease.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:07 AM

wow, i seem to have hit a nerve there.

for the record - pro tools is currently very clunky and basic in it visual appearance, i have always thought that it looked like a prototype or beta copy that someone had yet to put the skin on. this is not something that prevents people form making music so no harm there, after using other software (I leave the names out so as not to get any more protools snobs up in arms) I just find that having the ability to colour in parts makes it easier to sequence, copy etc... it also helps the musician who is sitting next to you "Just drop me in at the blue bit". all in all it makes the job of putting the music together quicker and easier, I dont mind if other people prefer not to do it.

to nexxt I say - eleven years, thats great, i hope you are doing ok with the world of midi and soft synths, it must be a real quantum leap for someone who has never used anything but protools.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:08 AM

You can do this now. Manualy assign voices to tracks rather than letting them be auto assinged. If your preferances are for the colors to folow voices (I think this is the default) then the colors will stay with the track, unless you reassign the track to a diferent voice. You can also assign colors to reflect group assignments.

NEXXT if you have been working with PT for 11 years maybe it's time to read the manual so you can be of some help instead just being a horses a**.
Old 12-14-2002, 10:11 AM

Graham,
as long as you choose the specific voice for each track (rather than "autovoice"), the colors won't change.

the rest of you (except Clark),
take it down a notch. what's wrong with you people? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2002, 10:20 AM

How did this topic get so out of hand?????

One of the things that many Pro Tools user really like about the interface is its simplicity and uncluttered look and feel. When I came from some of the other audio apps I found that the PT interface was a very productive and efficient work environment. So I think there is a tendancy to try to safeguard the simplicity on the part of many of us that use it for many hours per day to make a living.

That being said some of the suggestions for improvement should be welcome. If Digi simply made custom region colors an option then that should satisfy both camps. I can easily see how doing this could be useful.

As far as region separation goes you can almost do this already simply by clicking a spot in a region and pressing command (Mac) or control (PC) and "E".

Now somebody will have to explain to me why having a tool produced by a large profitable company is a bad thing if you are hoping to be able to use it for a number of years. (BTW I think digi is really a very small ccompany (including Avid) compared to many system/software design companies).

Its also remarkable which reply was the rudest [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Steve
1-603-867-6843
Old 12-14-2002, 10:21 AM

wow, catfish. maybe Nexxt was a bit harsh but your way over the top, especially for someone with only 4 posts. Hopefully, you actually offered some input on your previous 3 than merely offering a schoolyard fight.

I'm sorry that you find the DUC trying. But, it can be a wonderful place to get tips, troubleshoot (when i was setting up an 001 i had at the time a few years ago, and was having trouble into the wee hours, a guy in belgium answered my post with 20 minutes and was up and running.

Oh, btw, if you want some anti-digi hostility, please visit the ProSoundweb rec-pit. You'll get ample heaps. Just copy your post to that forum and you'll be in for a love fest!

Thanks, for ruining my prejudice that people who live in Hawaii are laid back. Yikes.

Anyway, to add to the original post. I saw the PT6 preview at AES, and the new coloring scheme looked well done, but for those of us used to the monotone mix window it will take a bit getting used to. I also saw a few changes in the midi note dept. but can't remember what part color played in it. Many of us are waiting with bated breath, and hopefully find out in the next couple of weeks.
From my standpoint, the lack of SSC support/DC is more at the forefront. Since i've been using softsamplers, softsynths (koblo,absynth,pro-52,reaktor,stylus,and now Atmosphere) for the past few years anything that interrupts that work flow to me is critical.Digi, don't drop the ball on this. I don't want to end up using crap software like Cubase.

haze