How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 AM

Default errors/problems in system clone via CCC

Had a weird one happen yesterday.

Saturdays are system maintenance day for me if I have nothing else that needs to be done. Updates and backups as necessary. I also update the clones I have of both operating system boot partitions (separate clones). I then test the clone to make sure I can boot and run PT off of them. The clone/boot/test on the OSX 10.8.5 partition went smoothly. However the one for the OSX 10.9.5 partition didn't.

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and when I went to do do the first clone update I was informed there was an update for CCC so I did that (actually did it for both boot partitions). Like I said the OSX 10.8.5 deal went smoothly. When I went to do the boot and test for the OSX 10.9.5 boot partition it booted okay but when I started PT11.3.1 by double-clicking on a session it first threw up an error that the current playback engine could support the sample rate of the session and also threw up an assertion error. So I quite PT, trashed databases and held down the 'n' key while starting PT. Was able to select my 11R no problem and no assertion error when opening the session. After I did this I quit PT, rebooted into that now-corrected clone and everything was okay.

After that I quit PT and rebooted into my usual boot partition (OSX 10.9.5) from which the clone was created. Started PT11.3.1 by double-clicking on the session that I tried to use when testing the clone of the OSX10.9.5 boot partition and that started up without any of the issues that it's clone had.

I've not had a clone do this before but then again these were the first set of clone updates I did with the latest version of CCC. Like I said the OSX 10.8.5 clone went okay but not the OSX 10.9.5 one. Has anyone had this happen before with CCC?

QAPLA!
Old 04-05-2015, 10:12 AM

Default Re: errors/problems in system clone via CCC

Are the clones on a USB drive? I've had CCC do some odd things at times. I've also run into problems on clones and even my system drive when opening sessions by double clicking on the session.

Does it do this when you start Pro Tools then open the session within PT?
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-05-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_daw View Post
Are the clones on a USB drive? I've had CCC do some odd things at times. I've also run into problems on clones and even my system drive when opening sessions by double clicking on the session.

Does it do this when you start Pro Tools then open the session within PT?
No USB drives here. The drive the clones are on is a direct connect FW800 to my iMac; wall wart power and no power saving or sleep. As to your last sentence I didn't think to try and start PT first before I fixed things. Poor troubleshooting on my part but if I don't have PT open I have never had an issue by double clicking the session and starting PT11.3.1 that way. And I run everything on an online all-the-time UPS with sine wave output so I have clean power and no lag in switching time if/when the AC mains drop out.

QAPLA!
Old 04-05-2015, 11:21 AM

Bizarre maybe somehow your CCC of the Mav system got corrupted somehow.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-05-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Bizarre maybe somehow your CCC of the Mav system got corrupted somehow.
Yeah. Got me a little worried and also makes me glad I test my clones afterwards so I can catch things like this. I wonder if the latest update of CCC had anything to do with this? Wouldn't be the first time an program update screwed things up

QAPLA!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yeah. Got me a little worried and also makes me glad I test my clones afterwards so I can catch things like this. I wonder if the latest update of CCC had anything to do with this? Wouldn't be the first time an program update screwed things up

Yeah, to be honest the new CCC makes me nervous. Especially in the archiving aspect. So far I've had good luck with my system drive clones. I would chalk it up to an isolated incident if you're not able to repeat it.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, to be honest the new CCC makes me nervous. Especially in the archiving aspect. So far I've had good luck with my system drive clones. I would chalk it up to an isolated incident if you're not able to repeat it.
Hopefully it is indeed just a one-off. The scary thing would be if it's somehow tied in to Mavericks which would explain that the ML clone is/was okay.

QAPLA!
Old 04-06-2015, 04:58 AM

If you're looking to make a change, I can highly recommend Chronosync.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
If you're looking to make a change, I can highly recommend Chronosync.
Thanks - didn't know about this one. I'd like to ask what makes this one better than CCC? Help me to understand before I pull out the old plastic

QAPLA!
Old 04-06-2015, 05:14 AM

It's been so long since I used CCC (they changed something a few years back and lost me-can't really remember what) that I can't say off the top of my head. But I do think they offer a demo you can try.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.