Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM

Default Cant download PT 10 because my Mac needs an "update"

So I made this account because no one else seems to have this problem, but Pro Tools 10 won't download. When the window comes up saying install, uninstall, license, and additional files; I click on install and it tells me i can;t download because i need OSX 10.7 or later, but I'm on OSX 10.11. Anyone have this problem? or know how to fix it?
Old 10-31-2015, 01:34 AM

Default Re: Cant download PT 10 because my Mac needs an "update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.adan View Post
So I made this account because no one else seems to have this problem, but Pro Tools 10 won't download. When the window comes up saying install, uninstall, license, and additional files; I click on install and it tells me i can;t download because i need OSX 10.7 or later, but I'm on OSX 10.11. Anyone have this problem? or know how to fix it?
Hi,

Pro tools 10 is not compatible with OS 10.11

You need to either revert the OS back to a compatible version > 10.7 or 10.8
Or upgrade to pro tools 12.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...10-on-Yosemite

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Pro tools 10 is not compatible with OS 10.11

You need to either revert the OS back to a compatible version > 10.7 or 10.8
Or upgrade to pro tools 12.

Chris
+1

You need to find out first if you even can run 10.7 on your Mac?
Itīs just because you cannot run any OSX on a Mac prior to the one this particular Mac had been delivered with once.
Thatīs a technical fact.
Means if your Mac originally was delivered with Mac OSX Mountain Lion for example, it will not be possible to use this
Mac with Leopard, Snow Leopard or Lion. It will be no problem to use this Mac with any later OSX though. Mountain Lion,
Mavericks, Yosemite or El Capitan as well as future versions of OSX would be no problem with this particluar Mac at all.

Just find out which exact model of Mac you have and check it out on this site.
http://www.everymac.com
Once being on the particular page of your model of Mac you need to scroll down until it reads -PreInstalled MacOS-!
There you will find the version of OSX which will be the earliest which you will be able to run with your particular Mac.

As mentioned before there even will be no work around or something. Itīs just as it is.

By the way...upgrading to the latest version of PT never has been more affordable than today. Itīs only $99.- for a perpetual
license+1 year updates/upgrades. This is really cool. By this upgrade you will own your copy of PT and get 1 year updates/
upgrades for free. After that year you will have to decide if you will want to receive further updates or if you will want to use
your PT without further updates. If you will want to receive further updates you will have to pay another annual fee, if not,
you still will be able to use your Pro Tools further on without any limitations. Except receiving no updates/upgrades then.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:46 PM

I understand you guys wanting me to upgrade, and I'd be cool with doing so, I actually get it free for being a student and it comes up under "Downloadable Content" including as many copies of PT 10, 11, and 12 for Mac and Windows. By my schools audio classes either run off Reason or Pro Tools 10, they would have to spend a lot of money to update 40+ Macs with any later version. I will check out the website, although I will miss some of the features of OSX 10.11
Old 10-31-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I understand you guys wanting me to upgrade, and I'd be cool with doing so, I actually get it free for being a student and it comes up under "Downloadable Content" including as many copies of PT 10, 11, and 12 for Mac and Windows. By my schools audio classes either run off Reason or Pro Tools 10, they would have to spend a lot of money to update 40+ Macs with any later version. I will check out the website, although I will miss some of the features of OSX 10.11
Ah ok I see. If itīs a school thing you are not free to act by yourself and itīs understandable that they canīt upgrade all their computers anyway.
The problem unfortunately stays the same, PT10 will not work on OSX 10.11 El Capitan anymore. Itīs compatible only with OSX 10.7 or 10.8.
But again, you need to check out first (before you are going to change anything on your system) if it even will be possible to run any of the old
versions of OSX on your computer. If itīs a newer Mac this wonīt work either Iīm afraid.
So if this will be the case it will be a Reason ...

Good luck to you, all the best!
Old 11-01-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I understand you guys wanting me to upgrade
Avid wants you to upgrade.. this forum was formerly known as the digidesign user community (hence the duck)