Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Digi 002 As Control Surface Only. Why Not?

at least then this thing would be worth SOMETHING. cant use it, cant sell it. its a great surface, but the IO sucks. what is so hard about porting the command 8 driver for the 002?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 As Control Surface Only. Why Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by therecordinghouse View Post
...cant use it, cant sell it...
...and now you know how Avid feels.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-30-2012, 01:33 PM

I feel the same frustration with my 003. Its a great controller, but I want better IO and more inputs.............................waaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaa

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Why I will never buy an AVID hardware interface ever again...

AVID forcing 002/003 and command 8 users to upgrade. Their solution is an mbox and an artists command surface. AVID will state that you can expand the I/O of your 003 by using ADAT but you are limited to 8 channels @ 48K.

What I as a customer want:

Allow the 002/003 to be used as a control suface so that I can choose any interface I want to record with at any sample rate.

-AND/OR-

Allow the 002/003 to be used as an aggregate in PT9/10 so that I can use any interface I want to record with at any sample rate while still being able to use my 003 control surface.

I'm not angry with AVID or the decisions they are making moving their company forward, I am actually very happy that they removed their Interface dependency starting in PT 9. As a small project studio customer I now have more options available to me while still being able to use PT 9. These benefits do outweigh my future loss of a boat anchor AKA 003.

But still I've lost trust with the company and do not wish to purchase anymore future boat anchors....
Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 PM

both are undo-able do to the baked in communications protocols used in the 002/003 that were based in the TDM protocols

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick View Post
Why I will never buy an AVID hardware interface ever again...

AVID forcing 002/003 and command 8 users to upgrade. Their solution is an mbox and an artists command surface. AVID will state that you can expand the I/O of your 003 by using ADAT but you are limited to 8 channels @ 48K.

What I as a customer want:

Allow the 002/003 to be used as a control suface so that I can choose any interface I want to record with at any sample rate.

-AND/OR-

Allow the 002/003 to be used as an aggregate in PT9/10 so that I can use any interface I want to record with at any sample rate while still being able to use my 003 control surface.
But you can't be a consumer of a product that has been discontinued.

How is it at all in Avid's interest to change the way an interface works if they can't make any money from it?

I would go out TOMORROW and buy an 002 or 003 console if they suddently could work as an aggregate device or standalone control surface... but how does that profit for Avid in any way? Neither interface will be compatible with PT11, and Avid already has control surfaces to sell.

Avid needs to put out a successor to the 003 like, yesterday, but there's a whole lot less profit in putting extra resources towards products they don't make anymore, especially in the wake of a restructuring.

D

Old 05-31-2012, 12:38 PM

So I will also not be buying any undo-able do to the baked in communications protocol future boat anchors either
Old 05-31-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
But you can't be a consumer of a product that has been discontinued.

How is it at all in Avid's interest to change the way an interface works if they can't make any money from it?

I would go out TOMORROW and buy an 002 or 003 console if they suddently could work as an aggregate device or standalone control surface... but how does that profit for Avid in any way? Neither interface will be compatible with PT11, and Avid already has control surfaces to sell.

Avid needs to put out a successor to the 003 like, yesterday, but there's a whole lot less profit in putting extra resources towards products they don't make anymore, especially in the wake of a restructuring.
Which is why I stated I'm not angry with AVID, I understand profit as a business point from their perspective. I know they are attempting to get their stock above $7.00 a share. Maybe AVID feels that in the grand scheme of things 002 and 003 users are collateral damage, an accepted body count, in making of that profit. I as a customer have chosen to use their Software but not invest in any of their Hardware offerings at this time...

AVID already put out a successor to the 003. Their stance (it's on you-tube) for 003 customers that want to use PT11 - move to an Mbox(pro) and an Artist control surface.

Quote:
Not all Profit is made up-front, investing in your customer yeilds future profits as well. Happy customers are customers for life, even if they only tell one person how happy they are. Famous saying in business... "treat your customers right or someone else will..." There are a lot of companies out there treating ProTools customers very well...
Old 05-31-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamrick View Post
AVID already put out a successor to the 003. Their stance (it's on you-tube) for 003 customers that want to use PT11 - move to an Mbox(pro) and an Artist control surface.
If that's the case... it's highly disappointing, and far more expensive for less I/O.

I still have a feeling we're going to see something pop up before the PT11 release.

D

Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
If that's the case... it's highly disappointing, and far more expensive for less I/O.
Highly... And since this is their stance, why have we not seen a hardware upgrade path to an artist controll surface/mbox from 002/003 hardware?