Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 10:05 AM

Default Amp Farm for really convincing amped guitars?

Hi Guys,
Are any of you using just Amp Farm for your rock guitar tracks? I'm plugging a strat into an avalon DI to an apogee converter, and after playing with the plugin settings for hours, I'm just not thrilled with the tone. My studio is in my apartment so my neighbors wouldn't appreciate it if I mic'ed a 4x12. I want the tone to sound something like Creed's. Does anyone think that's possible with just Amp Farm? Is SansAmp better? Maybe someone has some plug settings they want to share or some tips to get that tone? Much appreciated.

Sue
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2002, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Amp Farm for really convincing amped guitars?

I've only used it to add a little bite here and there, it has never done the hole "tone" for me or my clients. Some presets are better than others. I think sansamp is better but still in the same boat.
Old 01-07-2002, 01:10 PM

Suz-eq,

we actually have our second national release comming out that is a rock record completely done with amp farms. Up to 6 on a song! It took some getting used to, and knowing what fx to apply, but we have been doing blind tests with listeners and so far no-one, not even engineers have been able to tell the difference. I will post some song files in a week or so, that you can listen to.

Btw, we use mostly the marshall jcm800, the vox ac 30 and the matchless. All micing and cabinet varations. For guitar solo's we actually use 2 marshall jcm800 farms on one track with slightly different settings and the "big Cab" cabinet. Add some verb and killer tones.

We found a few tricks to using the amp farm:
1. have a great guitar player, amp farm is a little less forgiving with sloppy playing than a true amp.
2. remember, your not trying to get that huge low frequency thump that guitar players love, but that the engineer cuts during the mix to make room for the kick and bass. We always set the tones after we have a good bass and kick blend.
3. We actually plug the guitar directly into the convertor, no pre or direct box. Yea, sounds wack, but gave us the best tone.
(a great di would still be ok though) But don't use the pre, unless your adding tone or color you are sure you like. We didn't like any of our high end pre tones. If your signal isn't loud enough on the track just normalize it up to -18 or so. Remember the idea is that the amp farm is the amp, so we didn't want any more in the path than we had to.
4. Never buss multiple tracks to an aux with an amp farm on it. I keep hearing of ppl doing this, dont. Each guitar track needs it's own farm. But that's cool espically for doubled parts, because you can slightly change the settings on the amp, and maybe delay or track slip one and get a killer thickness.

One thing, the sound of the amp farm is limited in that you can only get a certain number of different sounds or tones. But so far we have been able to get a good variety. The alternative to the amount of different sounds we use is to rent a bunch of amps for your session, or own them if your a large enough studio. We have a couple really nice amps here, and we use those for certain things too. Amp farm is not the answer to every album. But it does have a certain sound, and if it works with the band's sound use it. If not, find the right amp..

anyway, hope that helps.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Turn Me Up!™ – Sign Up Now to Bring Dynamics Back to Music (www.TurnMeUp.org)
Old 01-07-2002, 02:06 PM

Now this is a very interesting post, I've been using Amp Farm for a few months, thought I was happy.

Last week, don't know why, I plugged my Pod in instead, and actually preferred the 'low end thump' that it produced (not for in a track, but just as a player) - I'm not sure why, I always thought AF was better, I'm not convinced but I think I'm feeling more comfortable with the Pod because of the familar knobs interface (better get a procontrol then).

I'd be interested to hear from any Pod/Amp farm owners.

Pete
Old 01-07-2002, 02:19 PM

I like Amp Farm. I also use the JCM800 quite a bit; I like the 1959 Fender Bassman for bass as well. One thing, though, is that even though the cabinet/mic simulations are pretty accurate, I find I frequently choose "none," which means the simulation is like a line-out from the head directly into the recording system. It just seems to have more sparkle when you do it this way. It's a personal preference.

I have also done entire records with only Amp Farm, plugging the guitar directly into the 888. Musicians seem to love it, and the only down side is that they often want to play around with it for hours trying to get that perfect tone they've never been able to get before. But, hey, if they've got the money, I've got the time.

I have found some of the really hard-core rap/metal-type bands don't feel it has a crunchy enough setting for them. They really seem to like distortion pedals; the Boss "Metal Zone" seems to be a big favorite.

But almost everyone else digs it.
Old 01-07-2002, 02:52 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dr. J:
Suz-eq,

not even engineers have been able to tell the difference.

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2002, 03:28 PM

I mixed an album here recently that was tracked at another studio. Live guitar tracks had been recorded with a 421 up close to a modern Fender Twin- played quietly. (They were apparently having 'leakage problems...') Yes, friends, a small, weenie- sounding godawful tone if ever there was one. Good guitar player, too. Amp Farm saved my butt on this one. The AC30 emulation with the 'Big Cab' worked for most of the tunes- it really helped tremendously. Just my experience- YMMV.
Breck
Old 01-07-2002, 03:28 PM

Just curious...how many instances of Amp Farm can you get on one card?
Old 01-07-2002, 04:12 PM

Ant Farm is fine for Clean Guitar but the Fender Trem sux and there is no Fender Reverb tank to use. I always find that Buzz with direct guitars, be it Ant Farm, Pod or anything else. I use it and i use low watt amps through a 4x10. Many guys today like the tone with their rig that they have built over the years and we go with that. If the player wants Ant Farm they get it if they want an Amp they get that. The customer is always right!! If I was the customer I'd want an amp!!! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Has anyone had any luck with pedals in front of Ant Farm? I have guys come over with the dreaded TS808 and want to play through Ant Farm [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Maybe we can share some presets at Pre-Set Co-Op
Old 01-07-2002, 07:40 PM

hi guys,
got used to really liking the amp farm over the last 18 months - and just did an album with a good guitar player, an oahu amp, a "vintage" 4x12 marshall cab, an sm57 - close - and a U 87 for optional room mike - went digital through a Studer D 19 - and found - again - that the acoustic element mixes and punches so much better than any guitar processed through the farm.
In certain situations, the ampfarm has a lot of charm - when it comes to real guitars and real sounds, do just that.
Use real amps and mics.
Does not compare.