Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2015, 02:15 PM
Avid

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul007 View Post
"We listened to a lot of customers on both the video and audio sides of the house. As a result of that feedback, this new model offers choice"

Marianna,

However much I respect and appreciate your elaborate response, the above quote did make me giggle

Paul
Elaborate.... not really. I was trying to tick off a lot in that one email instead of posting a bunch of reapplies.... glad you giggled. :)

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM

When Avid stabilizes Pro Tools 11, then I *may* consider an upgrade to Pro Tools 12.

However...

Avid's licensing model is extortion.

In other words...

"Pay us an annual subscription and trust us to deliver features you need. Else, too bad. Pay the full price for fixes you need and features you don't need."

No.

I'll stick with my crappy version of Pro Tools 11 until you guys fix your software. Until then, I'm DAW shopping.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:18 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Dave C rides into town and tells the natives that everything will be OK, in fact, it'll be better than before!
And I'm here for ya, you don't know me, but I'm your man, I've got your back .... TRUST ME!
I'll be lounging for a week in the Islands .... but settle down, everything is just fine.

Doesn't that strike you as just a wee bit disingenuous and ripe for criticism?
Would it have been better to wait a week?

Of course, you own no one an apology, but it just doesn't seem like a smart move.

kasper
Dave's personal vacation plans I am not privy too. I do know his 2 kids have vacation break this week like most of massachusetts. NH is next week.

I hired Dave 25 years ago as a support guy when I was at Media 100. He worked hard to learn from the ground up and is an honest and good guy. I hate to see you guys jump on his for what are probably decisions above him and not under his control.

Give us a few days to review the 32 pages and counting here.......

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 02-16-2015, 02:20 PM

Marianna thanks for jumping in here.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post

Lets just all ( not pointing any fingers at anyone - general statement).... try and be a tad more professional and think about how your post comes across before you hit send.

marianna
Fair enough.

kasper
Old 02-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Fair enough.

kasper
Thank you.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 02-16-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
...We had to do what we did..... and Louis took the right path to fix it.

marianna

Well, you'll have to explain that one .... why are there no other options?

You're asking us to essentially rent the software to subsidize the CO.
And pay for a support contract that the vast majority of people don't want and will never use.

Why is this the only option, is it part of your financial requirements?
Do you HAVE to move to the subscription plan per some directive?

kasper
Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM

... and actually knowing what the subscriptions plans will be would quell most of the nervousness and contempt .... no?

kasper
Old 02-16-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
4. If you don't want upgrades for the 2015 year... then you don't have to buy the support/upgrade plan. You can either migrate to a subscription or continue to use the version you have now. Pricing on subscription starts at $25 per month....
Hi Marianna - thanks for putting the record straight regarding Avid's financials, which have recently become the focus again for a few members, as well as expanding on the justification for the upcoming changes.

Regardless of how popular Avid's emphasis e.g. on collaboration is, most of us can accept that this is the direction the company is taking Pro Tools and in my opinion, many will look back in years to come and wonder what all the fuss was about ...

However, do you or your colleagues appreciate the single issue which is the root cause of all of this negativity i.e. the 'unreasonable' penalty for letting a support plan lapse? Many of us may even hope that the rapid pace of upgrades delivered under the new agile model will be incentive enough to continue paying ... but losing the value of our earlier 'investment' in a perpetual licence (e.g. in lieu of a reasonable penalty fee) if a plan lapses is the main problem.

We have heard repeated reminders that we can continue to utilise our last version ... but in a world of yealy Mac OS updates (often forced on users by other applications or hardware), this is unfortunately little consolation and unrealistic for most users.

Could you possibly acknowledge this - others have just ignored the matter and reinforced the 'takeaways' as if reading bullet points off a presentation?

Thanks again! :)
Old 02-16-2015, 03:09 PM

It is Avid's job to convince us as customers to buy their product, yet many posts here, including Avid's act like customers should be thanking Avid for such a great plan. Maybe Avid is too big to be of any benefit to its' customers. It certainly isn't forward thinking with this new model.

Two PT licenses here I won't be upgrading. I will also be moving all of my clients away from using or expecting ProTools. Not hard to do as it is losing ground here already. If you want my business, compete with everything else. You have post, for now, but that's it for a near lockout market. For music, PT is well behind the features and capability curve. Best of luck to everyone here, especially those forced to stay with Avid.