Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Default Save multiple channel settings?

New to the forum here. I'm using PT9 and currently working on 10 songs for my band. I'm wondering if there is a way to save presets and settings for multiple tracks so that I can import into another song.

Example, I have 10 different project files (one for each song). If I spend a lot of time on one song, say mixing the drums to get them sounding good, can I somehow save all of the inserts and settings so that I can import them into another song and apply to the same tracks?

Hopefully this makes sense, I'm having a hard time putting the question into words. I know I can save presets on the individual plugins, but I'd like to duplicate the inserts as well as their settings for multiple tracks so that I can import and use them in a different session. I used to be able to do this with Cubase, so I'm sure there's a way to do it, but I haven't come across it in any tutorials so far.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Save multiple channel settings?

Here's one way. Get your first song mixed and sounding great. Now go to File>Save as Template, and save this session as your template, but don't check the box for keeping the media(audio files). To make this go easier, start by creating a folder for each song somewhere convenient like the desktop or on your recording drive(this has nothing to do with PT sessions, its just to make the following process easier). Open each old song session, consolidate all the audio(so each track is a single audio file that starts from 00:00:000), highlight all the tracks in the EDIT window(which will highlight them in the regions bin) and export regions as files(sending regions for each song to the folders you made earlier). Remember you can skip the first song you mixed as its already got "the magic"

Now, create a new session for each song, using the template you just made. Then import the audio(from the folders you made) for each song, into its new version(created from the template). When asked to choose between New Track and Regions Bin(Clips bin in 10), select Regions bin. Then drag each audio file to its appropriate track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-18-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks! Very helpful, and I'll be doing that soon so that I can have a good template ready for recording new songs. I also found a good video about importing session data, which hits the nail on the head without having to bounce down the tracks and re-import: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQiKbPWwNgQ
Old 03-18-2012, 07:14 PM

albee is not talking about bouncing, rather exporting - totally different.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction