Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 AM

Default Core card PCI repair, help please

Hi,

I have a dead digidesign core PCI card I was (un)lucky enough to win on ebay. After some repairs, the card is now detected and I can run digitest but it has some errors.

Here's where I need your help... i need somebody with a HD PCI core.. to look at the bottom of their card and see if the black component (R33) in my photo looks the same in yours.. it looks toasted to me.. maybe your R33 isn't black and has 330 written on it like the surrounding resistors, but I just don't know any other way to find out.

Hopefully this part is in fact fried and i can replace it and do some more tests.. to get closer to a solution. Thanks for any help/suggestions/measurements!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:11 AM

Default Re: Core card PCI repair, help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4796 View Post
Hi,

I have a dead digidesign core PCI card I was (un)lucky enough to win on ebay. After some repairs, the card is now detected and I can run digitest but it has some errors.

Here's where I need your help... i need somebody with a HD PCI core.. to look at the bottom of their card and see if the black component (R33) in my photo looks the same in yours.. it looks toasted to me.. maybe your R33 isn't black and has 330 written on it like the surrounding resistors, but I just don't know any other way to find out.

Hopefully this part is in fact fried and i can replace it and do some more tests.. to get closer to a solution. Thanks for any help/suggestions/measurements!

Hi,

Have you put a digital multimeter across to see if there's any resistance measurement ? ideally you need to know the exact resistance of the resister to see if its still operating correctly, but if there's no resistance it could show its blown or not.

Are you stabbing in the dark with this resister? or any other reason you think its the fault?

What about magnification? blow it up and see if there's noticeable signs of burn

You could try some freeze spray! just before you turn the power on and see if it reads different!!

What error messages did digi test show you?

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:25 AM

hi,

initially there was a resistor bank further down the card with a blob of solder shorting two of the legs.. i removed this.. and my computer would boot... but after looking over the card i noticed the component in the pic was black.. all the other resistors have values printed on the top.. but this one is toasted and i can't read it, even with my mag lamp. i measure around 91 ohms across it, so it probably isn't shorted.. but may be open circuit and in parallel with some other resistors.. i guess i'll have to remove it from the circuit to test it properly. i was just curious to know what it reads on a working card.

the digitest fails with errors on 3 cores.. i will have to refit the card and run it again to get the specifics.

there are other signs of poor repairs.. down the end of the card.. the capacitors have been replaced.. (the soldering is not too pretty).. i'll have to remove some of the caps on one of the other cores to test the replaced ones have been done with the correct values...
Old 11-18-2010, 04:10 AM

ok, here's the digitest results.. any clues as to interpreting much appreciated.