Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Default Ergonomic workstations neck,back,wrist ???

As a semi-disabled 55+ years young and foolish song writer composer. I would do it all again. Only smarter...

1) Do away with directional speakers. Still use occasional headphones.

2) Wheel over a mid sized 3 1/2 octave keyboard MIDI programmer when needed.

3 Speakers: Omnidirectional; A. Stewart Hegeman Model 1 speakers. Now made by Morrison. The shorter models (as all audio is one point out top) may work best reclining. Occasionally fire up a separate sub.

4) Zero-gravity chair w/ mouse holder or 'drink' attchment as it's called.

5) Two laptop stands. Possibly one for this smaller keyboard controller. These slip under chair or reclining couch. If you're right handed your pretty much mod free. (one stand to mount keyboard contoller)

6) Trackball and mouse wrist brace with aluminum support (you can bend to fit curvature. Rest wrist and arm on wood, I prefer thumb track balls. 3 button. Logitech still sells these at Best Buy. 10+ year old and still loyal 'programmers' buying them up. No wrist, arm, or shoulder strain.

I am not saying don't have a Rhodes or full size Kurzweil. Just an option on wheels like Monitor or laptop stand.

Anyone have their own tips to share? Pain keeps you from working. At first no. You keep on truckin. But in the end you fall into the depths of despair and darkness begins to overshadow the light. Life without creating uplifting original MUSIC sucks. Even if your audience is yourself. Your children. The i-Ether is listening.

I put some links to check out. Maybe this will encourage some to start up again.

Links: Anymore sugesstions welcome.

http://sitincomfort.com/zerrec.html?src=google

http://www.morrisonaudio.com/

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/desks-laptop-stands/product-ARS21485?history=6859nht6|categoryId~10001^categor yName~office-furniture^parentCategoryID~category_root^prodPage~ 25^region~1@ao301nrn|prodPage~15^refine~1^region~1 ^categoryName~desks-laptop-stands^categoryId~cat1390010^parentCategoryID~cat_ 10001@eugwcytl|refineName~Price^prodPage~15^refine ~1^sub_attr_name~2^region~1^refineValue~39+%3C%3D+ +%3C%3D+108.99

There you go. Anyone unable to sit and work in front of ear fatique 'n near-fields for extended periods? Whatever works for you. Many are in pain and medicate. What solutions have you found? (beside doctor's scrips?) possibly www.morrisonaudio.com Model 17s based on A. Stewart Hegeman's perfect reference speaker.

21stCentury

Last edited by aka21stCentury; 11-29-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: brevity
Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Ergonomic workstations neck,back,wrist ???

I have a pinched nerve that makes sitting upright for any amount of time extremely uncomfortable. For many years all of my screens, keyboard and nearfields were on top of an entertainment center(approximately 50" tall if I remember right). I would stand at this when I worked.

Now I have a nethrone with the triple monitor mount. Spendy chair, but it's awesome. Only problem is I've literally fallen asleep in it on some projects that I work on into the wee hours of the night.

Take a look at the website here:

http://nethrone.com/

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Toolbox;

Gotta be as much as a Mac Pro? Awesome. Do you mind me asking? Btw I picked up only one laptop stand. Didn't realize they were on sale. I have all this modular ultimate support stuff. But still usefull. Now I see they have increased those laptop stand prices. In just a few months. But it will work for this little synth. No chair as of yet as I need to support my fat head. I did buy 2 hi-end studio chairs years ago but even on those an hour tops. That electric recliner is mucho ameros. (oh sorry... sites haven't started quoting in the new currency yet) so I didn't get it obviously. There is a lawn chair version that's cheap. No mouse stand. I used an old Bose mini stage monitor stand that clamps on a mic stand etc. Mounted a wooden board on it for mouse pad and mouse. It was very handy used it for years. Mounted the small Mac keyboard below the piano Keyboard w/ ultimate support brackets. Monitor up above larger brackets. Mouse-board low & clamped to the verticle tubing w/ Bose deal.

I developed thoraxic spurs. Whiplash who knows? Nerve infections to boot!. But are you better? Any used devices like this ever come up for sale?

And thanks. That was a helpful reply.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
I have a pinched nerve that makes sitting upright for any amount of time extremely uncomfortable. For many years all of my screens, keyboard and nearfields were on top of an entertainment center(approximately 50" tall if I remember right). I would stand at this when I worked.

Now I have a nethrone with the triple monitor mount. Spendy chair, but it's awesome. Only problem is I've literally fallen asleep in it on some projects that I work on into the wee hours of the night.

Take a look at the website here:

http://nethrone.com/
John whenever I see that thing all I can think of is adding a pair of pedals and turning it into a combination DAW/Exersize bicycle.

Pedal faster Gilligan! We're almost to the edits...

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka21stCentury View Post
Toolbox;

Gotta be as much as a Mac Pro? Awesome. Do you mind me asking? Btw I picked up only one laptop stand. Didn't realize they were on sale. I have all this modular ultimate support stuff. But still usefull. Now I see they have increased those laptop stand prices. In just a few months. But it will work for this little synth. No chair as of yet as I need to support my fat head. I did buy 2 hi-end studio chairs years ago but even on those an hour tops. That electric recliner is mucho ameros. (oh sorry... sites haven't started quoting in the new currency yet) so I didn't get it obviously. There is a lawn chair version that's cheap. No mouse stand. I used an old Bose mini stage monitor stand that clamps on a mic stand etc. Mounted a wooden board on it for mouse pad and mouse. It was very handy used it for years. Mounted the small Mac keyboard below the piano Keyboard w/ ultimate support brackets. Monitor up above larger brackets. Mouse-board low & clamped to the verticle tubing w/ Bose deal.

I developed thoraxic spurs. Whiplash who knows? Nerve infections to boot!. But are you better? Any used devices like this ever come up for sale?

And thanks. That was a helpful reply.
A new one with the triple monitor mount is around $2500 by the time you add shipping(nethrone is $2000, triple mount is around $250), the company is based in israel so the shipping is steep. I found mine used, I had to drive about 5 hours to get it but it was worth it, I saved about $1000. I have seen a guy in california selling them on ebay occasionally.

I won't say I'm cured, but I am much better than I was 4-5 years ago when I was finally diagnosed correctly. At that point I couldn't sit for more than 10 minutes a day without having constant pain for several days afterwards. For years I had no idea what was causing the pain, and was constantly being told by doctors that I had infections even though they couldn't find any evidence of them. I finally found the right doctor by doing my own research, I just happened to be lucky that he was one of a handful in the world and was located in the same state as me.

I will say whatever you end up getting for a workstation, if it works for you it will be well worth any price you pay. You can always make more money, but you never get the time back you lost to chronic pain.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:54 PM

Very interesting conversation. I'm another one that suffers from neck/back/nerve problems (going on my 5th year of physical therapy). My posture and position while on long mixing sessions are definitely things I have to keep my self aware of. That Nethrone looks awesome, even if it way out of my budget!!!

And I can appreciate the difficulty of finding the right doctor. I went for years going through doctors til I finally found the ones I'm seeing now. Of course the treatments I'm going through now aren't officially recognized by the medical establishment so insurance doesn't cover half of them, but at least I'm seeing results!

I can't bitch too much. My health problem are what steered me from a performing musician to the ProTools realm. Silver linings in everything, at least if ya look for 'em!!

And I have been able to return to the stage lately, even if I have had to keep a limit on it (if I could only keep myself from headbanging while I play!!!!)
Old 04-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Bring your money and get the Emperor Chair.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-21-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Bring your money and get the Emperor Chair.

Cheers,
There's also the gravitonus:

http://gravitonus.com/hardware/workstation/gallery

If I remember right it's close to $10k

Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 PM

I wonder even with a scrip those workstation chairs probably are not tax deductable. ???

Has anyone attempted Vit K injections from their M.D.? Said for some to last up to one month (nerve pain)? I've been on the hunt 2-point recording streams, brooks and small waterfalls in the old gtowth redwoods. Interesting material... for when I do my upcoming therapy. I takes a brave soul. Body is the bus Spirit is the Journey.

This therapy for some is a one month miracle.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I wonder even with a scrip those workstation chairs probably are not tax deductable. ???.
I wrote my nethrone off as office furniture. It's no different than buying a desk for your office, if you're using it to make money it's fair game. That being said, I'm not an accountant and this is not meant to be taken as legal advice... consult your friendly CPA first.

Quote:
Has anyone attempted Vit K injections from their M.D.? Said for some to last up to one month (nerve pain)? I've been on the hunt 2-point recording streams, brooks and small waterfalls in the old gtowth redwoods. Interesting material... for when I do my upcoming therapy. I takes a brave soul. Body is the bus Spirit is the Journey.

This therapy for some is a one month miracle.
I've never been able to afford the injections. I've had health insurance on and off over the last few years, the problem is that if your coverage lapses the pre-exiisitng condition BS makes it really hard to get any kind of treatment covered. Hopefully the recent legislation will fix this, though I personally think health coverage is going to be bad until they outlaw health insurance companies altogether. That's a different discussion all together.