Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Moving tracks from an HD24

If this isn't the right place to post this please point me in the right direction.

I just picked up an HD24 hard disk recorder and am looking for ways to get the tracks into pro tools. I know I can copy the song folder over the net with ftp or I can use the Fireport to copy the tracks to my windows system.

What, if anything, do I need to do to get the tracks into PTLE properly in sync with each other once they are copied to my computer?

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Re: Moving tracks from an HD24

Hi Lynx.
Each HD24 track shares the exact same "song start" point regardless of where recording was started on any given HD24 track. So;
If you use shuffle when "importing to track" in PT, all HD24 files will snap to the absolute front on the grid. Therefore all imported HD24 tracks will be lined up perfectly.
Brent
Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 AM

BTW... I'd seriously consider a fireport as ftp is a real toe tap of a wait. The fireport with fst software is simple to use. And it'll transfer the average 24 track project faster than it takes to pour a cup-o-coffee.
Other thing to consider is, creating a PT project before import. Set sample rate and tempo if you used a click. Or if you were running a sync'd sequencer with the HD24, load the MIDI file into PT as well, before file import. If done correctly, everything will line up dandy. Too, creating a PT project in advance will create an audio files folder for direct HD24 import into the correct PT session.
If you have any other questions Lynx, post here and will do my best.
Brent
Old 07-06-2007, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am new at this recording stuff so some things that are likely to be obvious to the old pros are a mystery to me.

I was hoping it was going to be as easy as you say. I expect lots of folks want to do the same as I do.

My use is recording live events for later mixdown. I have a Yamaha 01V96 for my FOH desk and the HD24 seemed a perfect fit to just record all or most of the inputs (I guess I could get a second one and actually get them all assuming I max out the desk - doean't happen often though).
The duties of FOH live mixing and recording live are sorta converging so I am trying to keep up.

So, I don't have any midi in use here.

I normally run the desk as the word clock master and slave the outboard preamps to it. I usually use 48k for the clock except when S/PDIF forces me to lower it. Is this the best way or would it be to my advantage to run at 44.1 so I don't have to convert later in the process?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Is this the best way or would it be to my advantage to run at 44.1 so I don't have to convert later in the process?
I know some will argue about 96k to 44.1... But in the real world, it's usually thought that avoiding sample rate conversions is best.
You'll probably find that when using the HD24 live, the easiest thing to do is kick it into record and let-er run for the duration. This would mean, you'll wind up with multiple live tunes all recorded linearly in one HD24 "song location." In this case, you'd definitely need a fireport to transfer to computer as now you'll have HD24 files in gigabytes. Example, a 60 minute, 24 track project will take approximately 20 minutes to transfer to your PC.
One disappointment I found with the fireport/FST software, it doesn't allow for selective loading of files between two location points in an HD24 "song." That means, the above 60 minute set, can't be cut up into individual songs/files as the transfer is done to PC. Editing has to be done with PT.
If you get this far Lynx and run into the same problems I did first time, let me know. There is an easy way to work with HD24 files and edit them into individual Pro Tools sessions/songs. Just would take another paragraph or two to explain. Happy to do it though if needed.
For doing what you're doing, the HD24 is an elegant solution.
Brent
Old 07-16-2007, 07:33 AM

there is another option other than the alesis software. it is called HD24tools. i like it much better than the alesis stuff. it works with your fireport. it allows you to break up large songs on the hd24. it can automatically do this for you with the marker points you set. just set markers between songs live while recording. you can also play back and listen to the files directly off the alesis drive, before you transfer the files... here is a link

http://ringbreak.dnd.utwente.nl/~mrj.../download.html
Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Wow... thanks and good deal!
Brent
Old 07-18-2007, 06:57 AM

if you like it and end up using it. dont forget to throw a few dollars his way...