Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2000, 05:21 AM

Default No TDM Clock detected...?

I just installed a PT24 into a G4/400, and upon running Digitest, I got failures on both the D24 and the DSP farm, with the message "No TDM Clock detected". However, the system seems to be working fine. I tried reseating the cards, moving the ribbon connector, swapping the cards, and still came up with the same error message. I removed the ribbon connector,and got the same message, so I thought it was a problem connector, however when I started up PT5, it noticed that there was no connection between the D24 & DSP farm, and wouldn't run. So the cable seems to be doing its thing, and I can't figure out what the problem is. Any suggestions or ideas?
Old 01-18-2000, 08:00 AM

Default Re: No TDM Clock detected...?

I had (have...) the same problem, but with a previously stable system (d24, 3 dsp farms in a 9500/Newer G3, 888/24) and called Digi tech support.
After the usual dance, they issued me a return authorization for the d24 card.

I borrowed a d24 card from a friend for testing, and digitest still shows test failures for ALL the cards, but the system works well.

The tech at Digi said "Digi test is... well, a mixed blessing..." That is a direct quote.

Good luck...

steveV
Old 01-18-2000, 02:13 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I should have mentioned that I do have an audio interface hooked up (882 I/O).

>"The best test is to launch pro tools and fire up a session"<

Is it safe to assume that if my session runs fine, then may cards are in good working order? I know it's kind of a stupid question, but I can't afford for them to quit on me mid session, and then heve someone say "You should have known that would happen when the Digitest came up 'failed'"
Old 01-18-2000, 09:33 PM

I am a very new (since the weekend) of Pro Tools TDM (Mix System) was a bit nervous about installing the system myself but had no other real option at the time.... I got the same message (with PT 5.0) when I ran Digi Test the first time. I switched on the interface, rebooted and it worked fine. One thing that bothered me about the ribbon cable between the two cards is that it seems to put pressure on them and they are bent apart...if this is not normal and I need to re seat my cards please let me know....
Old 01-19-2000, 12:40 AM

I had a similar problem: As I got the PT 5 update I first run DigiTest 3.4 to make shure my hardware is working. It detected - ofcourse - no problems (my PT system never crashes the last year!!). So I updated PT as discribed in the manual. After this I started DigiTest 5.0 an there were NO CARDS listed. (Digitest 5 obviously didn't detect my cards). So I reinstalled digtest 3.4 and - just guess - all cards were listed well and no troubles were found. I looked very helpless...
Because of some other problems I reinstalled my fine working PT 4.3.2 and since this I never had problems.

Matthias
Old 01-19-2000, 12:41 AM
Avid

Songdahl,

Clock comes from the ribbion cable which is connected between the digi cards (TDM ribbon cable) and it also comes from the audio interface and it's cable - * to complete your installation you must also connect the interface cable to your D24 card. Now restart your computer and pro tools should start. Digitest is expecting to receive clock for it to complete it's tests. The best test is to launch pro tools and fire up a session. Also remember that anytime you run digitest you MUST restart your computer before trying to use your pro tools hardware.

B Carter
Digidesign

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited January 18, 2000).]
Old 01-19-2000, 10:27 AM
Avid

I think it's pretty safe to assume that if pro tools is playing back audio and it launches fine - then there is really nothing to worry about. All cards will seem to "bend" just a little while trying to install the ribbon cable - if it really looks out of the ordinary then I would worry but again, If pro tools is working then I would not worry.

B Carter
Digidesign