Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-1999, 09:04 AM

Default ix MicroDualMonitor card... Really bad?

So, is this card really to be avoided? The specs on the Matrox are much better, but is this one really BAD?

& if so, why?

Anecdotes welcome!

Thx,

steveV
(who really needs two monitors & is outta slots)
Old 12-31-1999, 12:31 AM

Default Re: ix MicroDualMonitor card... Really bad?

The ix micro card works ok, and is your only option at the moment. The Matrox card isn't Mac supported at the moment, and no plans to in the near future. The problem with the ix micro is that the first monitor is great with high resolution, fast refresh rate etc, but the second monitor output is limited, and the graphics are slower. It does work, and since it's your only option without going to an expansion chassis, I say go for it. I've been using dual monitors for 3 years now on ProTools, and it's well worth it. I've used the ixMicro dual card on a friends system, and use dual ATI 16mb cards for my system, but I have an expansion chassis.
Old 12-31-1999, 01:43 PM

I'm using the ixmicro on three PT24 systems...I still have periodic stalling (for 10-sec or so every 7-min), but I need the slots, so I put up with it, at least until something better comes along! (Are you listening Matrox?)
Old 01-01-2000, 08:55 PM

<<periodic stalling (for 10-sec or so every 7-min) >>

I'd call that severe...

It's rugged to have to upgrade to a Mix system just to get a slot so that I can use two monitor cards...

stv