Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2018, 08:08 AM

Default Re: What do I need to monitor in Dolby Atmos with my setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post

Andrew are you running a Trinnov looped on the AES in between the AX32 and the AX32 converters, or are you using the converters in the Trinnov?
If its the first option, do you feel the converters in the AX32 are better than Trinnov's?

Hi,

I have an older Trinnov MC Optimizer which is a 4U rackmount unit. I have installed a RME AES/EBU 16 channel card which is connected to the built-in AES/EBU on the AX32. I also used a RME MADI card in the past but I did not like having to manually change the sample rate in the Trinnov
menus so I stopped using it.

In DADman I have multiple monitor profiles. In one profile the control room outputs are routed to the Trinnov inputs. DADman routes the Trinnov outputs to the DA that feed the monitors. In another profile the control room outputs are routed directly to the DA. This is not for the purpose of A/B switching but so that I can remove the latency to the monitors introduced by the Trinnov in the chain.

My model of MC Optimizer does not have analog I/O but I started with a ST2 Pro and was using the built-in DA. I have not done a side-by-side comparison but having progressed from Trinnov > Lavry Blue > Mytek 8x192 > DAD AD/DA I now feel that the sound quality and performance of the monitor system is fantastic.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2018, 04:55 PM

Default Re: What do I need to monitor in Dolby Atmos with my setup?

Thanks for the info Andrew.
Always looking for ways to improve my system.

I also have an MC unit.
I find it works really well, although I can understand why you would want to bypass the latency in some circumstances.

I'm thinking of having it upgraded to 12 channels to be able to monitor 7.1.4 through it, using the Dolby toolkit in Pro Tools.

Good to know someone else is using a similar setup.

Cheers
Martin