Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-05-2013, 03:09 PM

Default Re: My HDX system one year later!! What a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
Pat,
Two things:
1) DTS isn't going to update Unwrap to AAX anytime soon.
It is still version 1.0 or 1.1 since it has been released years and years ago.
A new upmix program in AAX ( by another company) will be released soon and you will be one of the first I call so you can get get a demo.

2) To have Universal or WB upgrade to PT 11 is a huge amount of systems.
Hundreds of them. There are many reasons they don't upgrade often.
Far too many to point out here on this post.

TC Electronic Unwrap V 1.2.1.

Don't get me wrong, Im a Protools proponent, but HDX is 2 years old this month, but still not ready for prime time. With PT10, let alone PT11.

Im just pointing out to Avid, if they can't pressure developers to port plugins to AAX DSP, then the HDX architecture will be short lived, as a native card, with a late model Mac Pro is more viable.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:45 PM

I think an hdx 1 is not the point of hdx. Hdx 2 with 512 voices really makes hdx and great system. When you have a large track count session. You need dsp to handle all the plug ins and what not. Maybe hdx just isn't the plateform for you. Maybe hdn is what you should have bought.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 10-05-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
TC Electronic Unwrap V 1.2.1.

Don't get me wrong, Im a Protools proponent, but HDX is 2 years old this month, but still not ready for prime time. With PT10, let alone PT11.

Im just pointing out to Avid, if they can't pressure developers to port plugins to AAX DSP, then the HDX architecture will be short lived, as a native card, with a late model Mac Pro is more viable.
I don't think is a matter of Avid pressuring developers to code AAX DSP. I think plugin developers are NOT interested in porting to AAX DSP and those that are, say there are too many issues working against them. I would like to see DMG port Equality but last I heard that was not in the works. CEDAR Studio is not porting AAX DSP (at least that is what I think), CEDAR will be native as I have been running it ever since it came out. Unveil is also native ans so is Izotope. So it appears that most major professional use plugs are NOT porting AAX DSP. Waves saw this entire AAX DSP porting, as an opportunity to expand their business, and considering the number of plugs that Waves has, it would have been a monumental and overwhelming time consuming task, and probably financial suicide for Waves to transcode all their plus to AAX DSP. So instead, they built a little box to host their TDM plugs and developed the architecture to just with one single cat cable plug the TDM box host to Pro-Tools! Not only does Waves keep selling their TDMs plugs (which I am sure have made their profit many times over), but they can keep writing more and more plugs. As a bonus, Waves now also profit from the hardware box they invented. To top it all up, digi link has its own DSP so you can max digi link out and not affect your computer at all. If I had paid thousands for on of the top Waves bundles, Diamond or Mercury, you bet I would be looking at the digi link!

As you know, there is another up-mixing plugin coming up soon, it is said that it will be AXX DSP... which just hammers one more nail on the ever distant possibility that unwrap may some day port to AAX DSP. Altiverb is next, I wonder if they will ever port to AAX DSP? may be not, why would they?, one can run Altiverb natively. Neither Revolver nor Reverberator are AAX DSP they are available Native only.

In my opinion, it is not the responsibility of plugin developers to port to AAX DSP so that user of HDX gets the most out of their Avid hardware. I own HDX too, so I am affected just as much but, it doesn't bother me because I see this whole issue differently. I bought my HDX a month ago and I was very aware of what I was buying and what plugs would be available or not. I bought my HDX because it offers me the possibility of adding another card and another 256 voices because of the work that I currently do. If Avid want to keep their HDX hardware alive they may have to develop more and more of their own AAX DSP plugins.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Maybe hdn is what you should have bought.
Maybe!!
Old 10-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Would you rather had the HDX cards come out back in June when 11 came out?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 10-06-2013, 03:40 AM

To say HDX is not ready for prime time is a ludicrous statement - sorry Pat. I freelance for A&E UK - prime time enough for them it would seem. I am about to install my new HDX system.
Yes there is no unwrap yet for AAX DSP - but as Marti (Dr Sound) has said there is a new plug in the wings looking for a title fight......
Prime time yes - just not YOUR prime time. To use Waves et al is your choice. Personally I do not support Waves (there are other better tools out there in my humble oinion) ., but as stated earlier, I choose my weapons and my hardware carefully.

I am, like George (Garnoil), not an Avid Fanboy - or I would be buying an Artist series (no thanks) or C24 (not remotely likely ) instead of my Slate Raven MTI.

I do want a system that I do not have to faff with, has tons of power (native + DSP) and can achieve a latency free Vo record at a moments notice at any state of the project. For me that is HDX and I will be enjoying it with Neyrinck's v- mon/omni. I will be able to monitor like on the DFC (which one of my clients had. Not available to Native users..... Having a gateway to DSP is key to me for many reasons.

Cheers

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer

BAFTA member
IPS member

former Post Production Expert at www.pro-tools-expert.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-06-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
To say HDX is not ready for prime time is a ludicrous statement - sorry Pat. I freelance for A&E UK - prime time enough for them it would seem. I am about to install my new HDX system.
Yes there is no unwrap yet for AAX DSP - but as Marti (Dr Sound) has said there is a new plug in the wings looking for a title fight......
Prime time yes - just not YOUR prime time. To use Waves et al is your choice. Personally I do not support Waves (there are other better tools out there in my humble oinion) ., but as stated earlier, I choose my weapons and my hardware carefully.

I am, like George (Garnoil), not an Avid Fanboy - or I would be buying an Artist series (no thanks) or C24 (not remotely likely ) instead of my Slate Raven MTI.

I do want a system that I do not have to faff with, has tons of power (native + DSP) and can achieve a latency free Vo record at a moments notice at any state of the project. For me that is HDX and I will be enjoying it with Neyrinck's v- mon/omni. I will be able to monitor like on the DFC (which one of my clients had. Not available to Native users..... Having a gateway to DSP is key to me for many reasons.

Cheers
Well said Mike.

If you need DSP live, then HDX is the only way to get the floating point mix bus, which believe me makes one hell of a difference to us in post, where dynamic range management is key.

Of course us native and LE users have been enjoying that better sound and faster less complicated workflow for years already and it's been a constant frustration when a project that sounds great on HDX, HDN or Native, firstly struggles to play properly on even a HD3, and even if it can play, in sync, it becomes all "crunchy".

HDX was in my opinion long overdue and is more than battle ready. You can achieve great results using mainly stock Avid plugins and Waves actually performs admirably native. The important low latency mixing and audio IO are handled by the HDX.

I tend to stay with stock Avid plugins as much as possible, as being a freelance Post production rerecording / dubbing mixer, where my projects have to be able to be opened and run on systems ranging from 8LE to 11HDX, I can't rely on facilities having anything more.

The only thing that has caused an issue with HDX that I can see is Apple's New Mac"Pro".

Al.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 10-06-2013, 06:31 AM

A few thoughts reading this:

1. The fact that you can't run all of your plug ins in DSP does not mean that the card isn't doing anything. It's taking a significant strain off the host by running the mixer, delay compensation and automation etc. It's a hefty workload on a busy mix.

2. I don't think Waves were put off by the prospect of moving their plug ins to AAX DSP as much as seeing how successful the proprietary hardware approach is proving for UAD and wanting their own finger in that pie.

I LOVE my HDN rig, but there's no doubt that HDX has some advantages. Of course it's also hamstrung a tiny bit when you have to use native plug ins all over the place, but it's still the best product on the market.

J
Old 10-06-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston UK View Post
It's taking a significant strain off the host by ………... automation etc. It's a hefty workload on a busy mix.
Where did you get this info from?

Automation has always been done by the CPU and while I know we have sample accurate auto now, I've never seen where Avid said that automation is done on the the HDX card.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.