Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:20 PM

Default My HDX system one year later!! What a waste of money.

So I trade in my perfectly fine TDM system last year for an HDX card, and Omni.
What a mistake, I still can't really use it professionally.

Why did I get the HDX?
I thought I would get more processing power, but no one is releasing AAX DSP
upgrades, only AAX Native.

Maybe I should have bought a new Mac Pro, and gone native. After all, I have no AAX DSP plugins, only native.
So this HDX card is just sitting there as an I/O card.

The production company where I freelance, asked me to budget a new Protools system, so they can go PT11!!
My response, don't bother. Save your cash, the TDM system with PT 10 does the job just fine.

Avid, unless you convince third party plug in developers to make AAX DSP versions, your HDX card sales will go down the toilet.

You just lost a $15,000.00 sale today.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Re: My HDX system one year later!! What a waste of money.

I'm in a similar boat as you, but I've got some AAX2 DSP, the AVID ones. I also have 1 or 2 AAX2 DSP 3rd party, but that's about it. I can get more plugins to work natively than with TDM 3, but just slightly. I too am awaiting more devs to do AAX2 DSP...and I'm still waiting for TLSpace...sheesh!
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 AM

What this says to me is that you didn't research your plugs before buying your card. Sell it and go Native if you are that bummed and move on - or use other plugs.
I don't "do Waves" but choose Sonnox, Neyrinck, Nugen and Revibe so my new HDX card will be busy apart from my Cedar. Still waiting for "the up mixer" though....

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 10-01-2013, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Save your cash, the TDM system with PT 10 does the job just fine.

Avid, unless you convince third party plug in developers to make AAX DSP versions, your HDX card sales will go down the toilet.

I have to say that the only down side of getting HDX in my opinion is the curve ball that Apple threw at Avid.

Everyone should take that as no better indicator that Apple are no longer interested in "Pro" users. While there are alternatives like pre-built Hackintoshes, then everyone is OK. People could always wise up to Windows taking over as well.

I will also say that TDM on PT10 does not do the job "just fine". Whenever I take Projects from HD Native to TDM the sound quality noticeably changes, for the worse, the playback capabilities drop, and the reliability sinks through the floor.

I am personally happy to see the back of TDM, and indeed proprietary DSP cards, as they're like a new car - the second they are made, they depreciate and become obsolete.

I would totally agree with Mike - sell the HDX and go HD Native with as good a host computer as you can afford.

Al.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 10-01-2013, 03:45 AM

Well hang about....the card is not just plug in DSP, it's a dedicated mixer. And that provides things like very low latency regardless of 'load', delay compensation for your sidechaining, Heat functionality and a couple of other things I'd guess. For tracking at high sample rates it's nice to have that confidence.

I'm on HD Native and I love it. But there is quite a bit of messing about with buffers to keep it happy. I don't mind that but I can see that HDX is an upgrade. I sympathise with the lack of AAX DSP support. It will come in time I imagine.
Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 AM

My HDX system one year later and rockin'

Don't miss the HD3 system. (Although I still have 4)

However I've not recommended to clients as to cost's but I am starting to requested interest in such a move.
(Mostly music and a little post)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
What this says to me is that you didn't research your plugs before buying your card.
My thoughts as well.

I looked at HDX after it had been out a while and passed for MANY reasons, not the least of which was lack of 3rd party support.

HD Native works well for me. I did an exchange and with my dealer's discount I think I paid $1900 for it?

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:15 AM

we've only had ours in here since march, but frustration is definitely setting in.

1) PT buggy as f*%k with HDX, yet to get even a solid version of TEN running... never mind 11.

2) embarrassingly limited selection of AAX DSP available, STILL. even AAX native limited. (thank god RTAS still runs in 10, otherwise we'd be dead in the water. how sad is that after making a 12k investment to stay CURRENT!!?)

- still struggling with VIs in 32 bit land (which is one of the major reasons we jumped into it--the promise of 64bit tools in 11.)

the other major reason we bought it was of cousre for rock solid low latency tracking, which it does do well... but our dinosaur TDM rig did that just as well.

so 6 months in, yup, the OP is not alone.

AVID needs to get these 3rd parties to fall in line FAST, and start writing better code for this card THEMSELVES.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=
I will also say that TDM on PT10 does not do the job "just fine". Whenever I take Projects from HD Native to TDM the sound quality noticeably changes, for the worse, the playback capabilities drop, and the reliability sinks through the floor.

Really!!! Mine is rock solid and sounds great!!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=RCN;2088488][QUOTE=

Really!!! Mine is rock solid and sounds great!![/QUOTE]

I have never liked the TDM "sound", and I'm not alone - witness the development of summing mixers and people wanting to use the likes of AMS Neve and Euphonix.

I've also long hated the sickening pause when you try to add one more track to a busy session - you get very fed up with it reassigning DSP for no adequately explained reason.

Native is a lot faster, more powerful and future proof.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors