Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 AM
Tim R. Tim R. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 1,047
Default Re: HD native tracking question

Along these lines: Can you track (HDN) with a Guitar modeling plugin ON the record track (I'm imagining recording guitar with Chrometone or Waves GTR instantiated on the record channel)? I do this regularly with my HD (PT9) rig, but am planning on "Downgrading" to HDN next.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Drew Mazurek's Avatar
Drew Mazurek Drew Mazurek is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 11,536
Default Re: HD native tracking question

Sure. So long as the computer can handle what you're asking it to do while maintaining that 64 sample buffer.

In fact, if you were using a Native plug on your PT9 TDM rig, you even had to put a DSP plug in front of the native plug and you were subject to the same latency as you would with HD Native, twice the buffer.
__________________
www.drewmazurek.com

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:44 AM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,775
Default Re: HD native tracking question

I've been able to do that for years in native on a dual core Imac. It just depends on how much other stuff is going on.

Again, this should be much more capable in PT11.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 AM
yellowshaman yellowshaman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 56
Default Re: HD native tracking question

I had a test system here consisting of a MB Pro Retina, Pt native hd TB & omni I/O to see if I could get similar latency response like with my hdx system.

I connected a mono dpa 4006 mic to the omni
and recorded some handpercussion through the integrated mic pres
while listening via headphones from the TB card.

With 32 buffer at 44,1 - LLM off there was noticable latency.
No numbers here but enough to make me uncomfortable
playing with headphones.
When turning LLM On it was better but still not nearly as good
as on my old hd or the new hdx system.
And with LLM On all plugins on the input channel get bypassed.

For me as a recording musician the latency issue
is big enough not to buy hd native and go for a used hd \
new hdx instead.

I know many engineers think latency is no big deal
but it CAN be very distracting for musicians
if its not right - especially with rhythm sections.

You track and track for hours but something is just not right...
well more often than not its the latency involved.

Just as an alternative view...

Last edited by yellowshaman; 04-20-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Jack Ruston UK Jack Ruston UK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Default Re: HD native tracking question

There must be something wrong there. LLM is way less than old HD TDM at 44.1kHz. Without it, at 32 samples you should be seeing about 3.2ms round trip vs 2.4ms old HD TDM. I suspect something is not quite right. I've tested this quite a bit on my HDN card, and I swap back and forth constantly between that system and TDM.
J
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Jack Ruston UK Jack Ruston UK is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 113
Default Re: HD native tracking question

BTW...I do agree that latency is an issue, and HDX is really strong in that respect. But TDM or HDN at 96k are also extremely fast.

J
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-21-2013, 04:45 PM
yellowshaman yellowshaman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 56
Default Re: HD native tracking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston UK View Post
There must be something wrong there. LLM is way less than old HD TDM at 44.1kHz. Without it, at 32 samples you should be seeing about 3.2ms round trip vs 2.4ms old HD TDM. I suspect something is not quite right. I've tested this quite a bit on my HDN card, and I swap back and forth constantly between that system and TDM.
J
You know I´m not so good in numbers
and I generally trust only to what I hear.

I allways felt comfortable with the latency on my old TDM
and still am on hdx but I´m not on hd native...

I double checked all possible values,
my mbp is certified and not a slow machine...
so I guess hd native is just not for me.

Maybe it´s a thunderbolt issue ?
But then my hdx is in a magma tb chassis working great...?

Maybe others don´t care about the involved latency - I really do.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
Markk Markk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 390
Default Re: HD native tracking question

We all really care about latency. I'd say its the number one reason I use HD. So assuming that, I'd say you're the first and only person I've heard with issues with HD native. But it is concerning to be as I'm about to invest heavily in new systems.

Can you try setting up an input aux channel with digi rack eq and compressor on insert feeding an audio channel and report back if you are able to track a source without the source hearing audible latency?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,775
Default Re: HD native tracking question

I don't understand how he heard any latency. I used a 003 via firewire into a dual core Imac for 5 years at a buffer of 64, and it was like real time to me. So much so that I didn't even bother with 32. I was able to also do this the same way with USB interfaces.

Now that I have my HD Native system, it's even better. So unless he had plugins with inherent latency on the tracks, I don't see how that would have been possible. And when I say inherent latency, I mean at least 64 or more. Something like the Waves SSL channel with 3 samples of latency isn't going to make any difference.

I'm not doubting his experience, but I'm wondering if something else was going on in the system.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,556
Default Re: HD native tracking question

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
I don't understand how he heard any latency. I used a 003 via firewire into a dual core Imac for 5 years at a buffer of 64, and it was like real time to me. So much so that I didn't even bother with 32. I was able to also do this the same way with USB interfaces.

Now that I have my HD Native system, it's even better. So unless he had plugins with inherent latency on the tracks, I don't see how that would have been possible. And when I say inherent latency, I mean at least 64 or more. Something like the Waves SSL channel with 3 samples of latency isn't going to make any difference.

I'm not doubting his experience, but I'm wondering if something else was going on in the system.
I think his problem is this setup - he's using the headphone jack on the HD Native box to monitor. I wonder if Avid updated things so that it can be used as a true headphone jack as in the original release it wasn't able to be used as such. You still needed to have an interface hooked up which he has but still not sure if Avid fixed this or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowshaman View Post
I had a test system here consisting of a MB Pro Retina, Pt native hd TB & omni I/O to see if I could get similar latency response like with my hdx system.

I connected a mono dpa 4006 mic to the omni
and recorded some handpercussion through the integrated mic pres
while listening via headphones from the TB card.

With 32 buffer at 44,1 - LLM off there was noticable latency.
No numbers here but enough to make me uncomfortable
playing with headphones.
I have to wonder why he didn't use the headphone jack on the Omni to monitor?
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HD Native tracking latency with no plugs? meech Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 18 04-04-2015 05:21 AM
New upcoming webinar on HD Native in Music Tracking Tom Graham Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 21 05-24-2012 03:22 AM
Tracking with AAX-DSP or with Native (RTAS or AAX-Native) Plug-ins Oblivion777 Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) 10 05-18-2012 03:54 PM
Question about tracking with ADC on jimst57 Pro Tools 9 3 08-15-2011 11:11 AM
C24 + 003 Tracking question? Soundsclassic ICON & C|24 2 07-26-2009 01:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com