Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 11:04 AM

Default Changing Pitch

Hi there,

I have a couple of stero tracks that are in the wrong key for the singer. I need to move them down a half step, It is easy enough with the digi plug- in, but , and here is the rub, the bass, sounds like it is under water.

Any ideas how I can get a little nicer results, with out having to buy "pitch 'n time". I know I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks,
Peace and Good Mixes To All,

NoteFarm
Old 07-30-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Changing Pitch

uncheck the time compression/expansion. then you can have it perfect pitch but slow? OR make a sub mix with the bass , and anything else that messes up with pitch shift, and replace it later. of course you'll need the multitrack version.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I also tryed to play wit the crossfade setting and set it to 200ms (the max) and that made a difference. Know I am confused. Could some one explain that one to me please.

Thanks
NoteFarm
Old 07-31-2004, 02:12 PM

On the Pitch Shift panel (or whatever it's called--I just quit Pro Tools for the day) I believe there's a slider that's marked Accuracy and Rhythm at the opposite ends. Sometimes I've had luck sliding that toward the Accuracy end when the initial Pitch Shift came out a bit dodgy. You could also experiment with shifting the vocalist. (James Brown used to do it all the time. And a lot of Motown tunes were purposefully pitched at the extreme end of the lead vocalist's range.) Actually, I'm thinking you could have your singer perform as much as she or he can with the track as is, and then record the difficult sections with the track a half step lower, then punch in the pitch shifted vocal lines at the key points. May work, may not. Sometimes you just have to try these things and see.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:45 PM

Try Serato Pitch'N'Time. It's way much better than Pitch Shift from Digidesign
Old 07-31-2004, 03:08 PM

"Try Serato Pitch'N'Time. It's way much better than Pitch Shift from Digidesign "

Use the demo it's fully functional for a while.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:54 PM

When I seen the thread, I was planning on jumping in to "save the day"......... But when I read you say, "with out having to buy "pitch 'n time"",,,,,,,, then I have nothing I can say... I am the pitch bendin', time stretchin' , key changin' NUT !!! And I went through a long time searching for a plug in that can do all that, AND NOT get that "underwater" sound to my music,,,,,well,,,, there were none,, EXCEPT Serato Pitch 'n Time, and Waves Transform Bundle,,,,, that is period.......

And Bender had the best suggestion, if you don't wanna buy it,,,, just download tha demo,,, and he is correct, it is fully functional.

You may get a LITTLE better results trying all this stuff everyone else is telling you to do with the "stock" digi time compression plug in,,,,,, but all in all, that thing IS DOO DOO,,,, compared to the 2 I mentioned above.
And despite its great repretation , I found "Speed" to suck as well, so don't buy that. I mean it didn't suck as bad as the digi one, but it was worse than Pitch&Time and the Waves Trans. Bundle..........

Hope this helps,,,,
Old 08-02-2004, 07:01 AM

Quote:
there were none,, EXCEPT Serato Pitch 'n Time, and Waves Transform Bundle,,,,, that is period.......
Speed by Waves Mechanics is as good as Pitch N Time and way cheaper.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:31 AM

Speed works fine, they all have their own strenghts depending on the material. Speed is the least expensive way to go and achieve what you want.