Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Re: My feelings after spending another $399.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranor View Post
I agree with many point that being made in this tread. Avid should be more proactive in terms of fixing bugs and implementing new features and they also should be more caring about their customers. Pro Tools it's a great DAW and legendary brand but it should keep evolving and not stagnating.

Having said that, every time I see a new topic about the price for the PT, lack of new features and statements from the people that it's time to ditch PT and move to Logic/Cubase/Studio One etc, I have my reservations and doubts.

Every studio in NZ that I visited runs PT. I work with other freelancers and they use PT. Not a single post facility uses Nuendo or Logic or Studio One. It's PT all the way. Therefore it is important for me to be compatible and make sure that I can deliver my sessions to my subordinates and they can open them without any issues.

Obviously if you work for yourself then you can use whatever you wish or want. But if you work with studios /other freelancers then you have to use PT. And I see benefits from that not only in terms of work coming my way but also in terms of learning from the others. I can ask about their workflows, shortcuts etc.

PT is a great tool but not ideal. I would love to see Avid being more caring about it. But at this moment of time I see no alternatives for me in terms of DAW. On top of that I like PT very much and it does exactly what I need without any issues (but I'm on PT11HD, not PT12).
These days many of us use multiple DAWS. Pro Tools along with some of the ones you've heard mention here. I use Pro Tools for the reasons you mentioned but work mostly in Studio One now. I would prefer not to work in Pro Tools alone but if I had to I could. It's much slower and cumbersome to me but thats just my preference.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead2010 View Post
The fact that say Presonus can continually offer FREE updates says a lot about how they run a company. Why can't AVID do it? The only answer is AVID is ineffective at running their company and it's loosing money.
Or maybe it's just because you keep giving them the money.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:12 PM

I simply do not ever see me moving away from Protools. I love it way too much. What I am not doing, like I always have in the past, is be obsessed with the most current thing.

I have a very impressive home studio, actually, its the dream home studio for many people. I'd rather invest my money in better outboard, or guitars, amps, etc, not in the digital side of things. I only do audio. I have owned HD11 since the day it came out, only used it for one week when I bought an HD Native card to give a try, never went back to PT11 once since then. HDN for all its hype, even with a 12 core MP, I still had to deal with latency, I have a ZERO tolerance for latency. I own native PT12, never even installed it. No need. I simply do not 'NEED" anything those versions offer. Would I 'Like" to use some of them from time to time, sure, but i simply do not "Need" a single one of them.

Not once have i ever needed more than the HD3 I have. My Pro Control units look like they just were opened out of the box brand new. I have an Omni, so I'm overs for critical stuff, as well as a 192 I/O with 16 in/8 Out, and a Lynx Aurora 16. I honestly feel like I've got everything I will need for close to a decade to come. I have a 12 Core Mac Pro, that cost me all of $700 bucks, with 48 gig of ram. If I ever do want to go HDN or HDX, my computer will handle anything I through at it.

Why go beyond HD10, for me, its a waste of money!

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-14-2016, 07:17 AM

I am also approaching my renewal. I actually upgraded a year ago just so that I could use the collaboration with my colleagues on our 3 Pro Tools setups as our strengths lie in different areas.

It was only when I had done this that I found out that collaboration is only possible with third parties and not within the same company even though I have 3 licences. If you have one user account, you are stuffed, and they won't even let you create a separate account to overcome the problem.

How many large organisations must be wanting to use collaboration within their own studios.

A year on, and still no solution!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 AM

Yeah I really feel like AVID is the Donald Trump of DAW manufacturers. "Pro Tools is going to be tremendous, so tremendous, it will be the best DAW in the world"..

We can only hope they make Pro Tools great again. :)
Old 10-14-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead2010 View Post
Yeah I really feel like AVID is the Donald Trump of DAW manufacturers. "Pro Tools is going to be tremendous, so tremendous, it will be the best DAW in the world"..

We can only hope they make Pro Tools great again. :)

D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM

If one has an HD12 HDX rig that is stable enough to be frozen (OS included) in its present state for 3 years then it makes sense not to re-up. If one has a reasonably stable configuration and anticipates leaving the platform in the next few years it may make sense not to re-up. For all other HDX owners - it is a sad reality that re-upping is just an ongoing cost to this system.

Comparing HD to other DAWs is pointless since no other DAW can run HDX (no matter how much I wish they would
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 10-14-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propower View Post
Comparing HD to other DAWs is pointless since no other DAW can run HDX (no matter how much I wish they would

Wasn't this the point of the new digilink io license? To be able to run HDX in other daws?

Or do I have it backwards? Only for 3rd party io in Pro Tools....?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:49 AM

I've used Pro Tools since 4.3 and have had TDM, HD and LE systems. I finally jumped ship for Studio One at the beginning of the year. Sold the hardware, replaced with UA hardware. Room's still booked solid. If a client comes in a absolutely needs Pro Tools, or I need to provide someone a PT session I just rent it. Most clients I find really don't care anymore as they are coming from other software themselves.

Ironically, I checked into the forums for the first time in years, because I was renting it for a client, the 12.5 -> 12.6 upgrade dropped and auth switch over happened. Avid botched the ilok auth and locked me out of PT for a weekend, requiring me to cancel a weekends worth of sessions with the client. Apparently I'm not the only one that ran into this.

They did end up getting me a temp license and eventually resolved the auth issue, but it did just reinforce that, for me, I made the right decision.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post

Or do I have it backwards? Only for 3rd party io in Pro Tools....?
Thats the one... No SW runs an HDX card besides PTHD (that I know of).
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html