Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2010, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Running out of CPU power? How is this possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Dogg View Post
I read somewhere on this board about BFD causing problems....even a qualified version. Try taking it out. It does not take a second....
i am running BFD2(sorry to say cracked) it works totally fine in pro-tools however it does take up a lot of cpu( i think because i have the audio on a partition of my OS) however i am running on vista and i experience problems running it as a standalone with AISO drivers.

so the answer to your question is yes works fine in pro-tools and i would recommend it
Old 03-22-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcalg View Post
i am running BFD2(sorry to say cracked) it works totally fine in pro-tools however it does take up a lot of cpu( i think because i have the audio on a partition of my OS) however i am running on vista and i experience problems running it as a standalone with AISO drivers.
Great. So you steal your software and have no problems, we buy ours and it doesn't f***ing work. At least you're honest about it...

It's a funny old world....
Old 03-22-2010, 04:54 PM

I use BFD2 with the Andy Johns and the Joe Barresi samples, and it works fine. Setup is 8-core MacPro, Digi 002R and PT 8.0.3 on OS10.5.8 with 8gb RAM and 4 internal HDs, plus teo external 2TB for backup via Time Machine.
Until I allocated 8-1=7 cores, I was having immense problems, and even switched to Logic 8 for a while. It just wasn't the same, athough pretty good actually. When PT8 came out, I felt compelled to upgrade, and I've been happy since. I can run simultaneously BFD2 + Smapletank 2.5 + Guitar Rig 3 (multiple instances) all that at 64 samples, which mostly eliminates the latency.
System + PT on Drive 1, samples on Drive 2 and audio files + bouncing on Drive 3. Not sure you need the 4th drive. I use it for video editing instead.
Although Digi recommends to not run anything else, I can run the Apple iLife09 software, Photoshop, and even iTunes at the same time as PT, and it all works actually. I get the system and iTunes audio out from the lightpipe into a digital mixer, it doesn't use my 002R.
3X 500GB 7,200 SATA DRIVES
OSX 10.5.7
PTLE 8.0cs3
Old 03-22-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyPaulCarroll View Post
Great. So you steal your software and have no problems, we buy ours and it doesn't f***ing work. At least you're honest about it...

It's a funny old world....
fortunatly bfd fell on my lap, for others veiwing this is the only cracked software i have not YET bought . i beleive in try before you buy.
please be careful when accusing one of stealing
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Here's a suggestion out of left field. I researched this problem a couple of weeks back because I was being plagued with 6101 error messages. I can't remember where I found this solution, but it seems to have helped. It's actually about resetting something inside the Mac software rather than getting rid of incompatible third-party plug-ins or adding drives (both good ideas as well though).

Anyway, for what it's worth, here's a set of instructions I found somewhere, then used, and that have improved the situation a lot. Sorry I can't remember why this works better ...

1 shut down the computer
2 unplug the power cord
3 press and hold the power button for 15 seconds
4 release the power button, plug cord back in, turn power on

It sounds weird, I know, but as I say it seems to have helped. Hope it isn't too much of a waste of time.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxdog View Post
Anyway, for what it's worth, here's a set of instructions I found somewhere, then used, and that have improved the situation a lot. Sorry I can't remember why this works better ...

1 shut down the computer
2 unplug the power cord
3 press and hold the power button for 15 seconds
4 release the power button, plug cord back in, turn power on

It sounds weird, I know, but as I say it seems to have helped. Hope it isn't too much of a waste of time.
That's the prescribed method for resetting the internal power management firmware (controls the fan and cooling system). Don't know why it should help...maybe it resets other stuff as well....

EDIT: um.. no it isn't the PMU reset... anyone know what it does???
Old 03-23-2010, 02:14 AM

I have no idea why it works, JeremyPC, but it seemed to - well, to some extent. It hasn't completely cured the problem, but it's reduced it to a manageable level. Hmmm?
Old 07-20-2010, 05:23 PM

I'm using Mac leopard 10.6
I installed PT on a seperate drive Snow leopard

I found snow leopard to be running Protools so much better. My own experience
Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 AM

You mentioned in your first post that you are using Superior Drummer 2.0.

Have you updated that to the latest version (2.2.2).

Because i know that SD version 2.1 and lower won't work properly with SL 10.6 and PT 8.0.3 and higher. And it can cause the kind of problems you mention.

Just a small observation.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 AM

Unhappy Re: Running out of CPU power? How is this possible?

As I've been reading this thread there is one thing I still can't figure out. And I've been Using Pro Tools since the OS9 days. And Ive only ever used two drives, 1. OS and 2. Audio, including bounces. (which I know understand why that could be bad) When it comes to configuring your drives, Its been said to have a separate drive for "mixes and bounces"? I understand bounces, but what do you mean by "Mixes"? Isn't your mix in the session file and it updates every time you go into the session and change things? Then your bounce ends up being your final "mix". Im