Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2014, 12:09 AM

Default Pro Tools pencil not working after AAF import

I just got an AAF from an Avid editor, and decoded it. I chose "copy audio media" as opposed to 'link to audio media' so all the audio files are now converted to BWF and copied to the session (not referencing to the original files). Yet, when I use the pencil tool it changes to the grabber tool at sample level edit so I can not use the pencil tool. I am aware that I can duplicate all the files and then it may work but I don't want to do that as I would loose my handles. How can I make the pencil tool work? PT 11.1.2 HDX mac
Old 08-15-2014, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools pencil not working after AAF import

Maybe the files created are locked? maybe it's permissions problem. Look at the "get info" of one of the files and see…..
Old 08-15-2014, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafukyo View Post
Maybe the files created are locked? maybe it's permissions problem. Look at the "get info" of one of the files and see…..

It is not sufficient to tell the AFF to copy the files upon decoding, once the AAF is decoded I had to re-save copy of the session (copy in command) and 'force' files to session format so that the files change from AIFF to .Wav. I thought this would automatically happen when I told the AAF to 'copy audio files instead of referring'. May be there is a preference in the Avid video editor that can output the AFF as .Wav instead of AIFF.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:50 AM

If your session is set up to use wav. just select "force to session format" during importing and it should automatically convert the AAF into wav.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuang View Post
If your session is set up to use wav. just select "force to session format" during importing and it should automatically convert the AAF into wav.

The session is created by the AAF but all of my sessions are set up to .Wav I don't think I had a choice in the AAF to choose .Wav or any other format but if there was a choice for .Wav I probably chose it, I have not worked with AIFF for years. It did copy the files form the AAF into Pro-Tools (as opposed to just referring to them) but it seems to have kept them as AAIF. But even then, once PT copies the files even as AIFF, it should be able to edit them with the pencil tool. I also did a copy in and re-copied the entire session to another drive so the audio files were re-copied for the 3th time, and still, I could not edit with the pencil. It only worked when I save session copy in and 'forced' to use .Wav format.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:29 AM

It's been like this since forever, as far as I know (not every AAF/OMF, just some). If it's just to fix some ticks, glitches and bumps in the waveform, the quick workaround is to consolidate the area around the bump (alt+shift+3) and you can edit it now with the pencil, because it's a new file. The handles are still from the original file (depending on your selection you consolidated).
The only downside; it now shows 2 edit marks at the selection you consolidated, looks like separate files or takes.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM

sure the files aren't MXF coming out of MC

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-15-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
sure the files aren't MXF coming out of MC

Not sure, I will check when I get a chance.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:46 AM

I have had this happen.
The solution is to consolidate the file you want to redraw. As farhoof mentioned.

Living the dream.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I have had this happen.
The solution is to consolidate the file you want to redraw. As farhoof mentioned.
Yes, I know that work around but that kills the handles and it was the entire session I wanted to change not just the one file. The work around that I used was to copy session in and 'force' files to become .Wav (this solved the problem and kept all handles intact). The files that I received from the avid editor were AIFC.

G