Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Default possible Bad HD or Corrupt file, any help what to do ?

New to the DUC...I have been googling and looking through here all day. I will try to explain my issue and what I have done to trouble shoot. I should also mention that I have only been using Macs for a few months.

MacBook Pro (5,1) - Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz - 4 G Ram
OS X 10.5.8 (9L30)
pro tools LE 8.0.1

Digi 002 rack

no addition hardware or plug ins installed yet

external WD my book (studio) 1TB (connect via FW800)

MBP (PT running on system drive) --> (FW800) Ext Drive (audio drive) --> 002r (FW800 to 400 cable)

on 2 sessions I recorded over the past week, I started getting intermittent playback errors "DAE was unable to complete this operation your disk may be too slow or too fragmented. (-9073)". These were sessions with less than 10 tracks no plug ins or VI. The same day I was recording to and mixing a session with 25 track and many Plugs with no issue. The difference was that was a session recorded somewhere else where I over dubbed just a few tracks. the sessions where I am having issues, I tracked drums here (7 tracks simultaneously)

I double checked all the set up optimization steps.
I tried adjusting the DAE and buffer sizes.
CPU was barely budging.

I did find out there may be an issue with the ext. HD (which is FW800) daisy chained to the 002 being that the same bus is running and 800 and 400 device

I tried to back up the files with no luck. It seems some of the WAV files may be the issue. When I tried to move the session to another drive to trouble shoot, I would get a -37 I/O error saying it was unable to copy files.

I messed around with the session again and try to AS process or consolidate the regions that I recently did and some worked fine and others did not. They just hung up and didn't process.

SO I am thinking either some of the WAV files are corrupt or there is something funky with the WD external drive. I have run disc utility on the internal and external drive and it found no issues.

Any idea of how I might be able to salvage (or repair) the WAV since I can't seem to be able to even back them up with out the -37 error. or even get them to another drive to see if the WD External is the problem.

if it is the WAV files, could the FW 400 / 800 issue cause corruption? I was also using a combination of an apogee duet and the rest the 002R converters (which I have never done) to track the drums.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.