How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 11-14-2016, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm not in front of PT now, but as I recall, there is a "Advanced, System or Setup" tab inside EZD, and a button called " Key mapping" or similar, and there you will find a vertical keyboard graphic that is used for remapping of midi assignments. You should use the manual for this.
This is what I see:

So I looked it up and found this:
http://www.toontrack.com/faq/can-i-u...-with-e-drums/

It seems that it's only EZD2 that's somewhat made for E-drums, does this mean that I can't change the mapping for EZD1?

Last edited by Djefvul; 11-14-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 PM

I'm sorry. I might be confusing EZD and Addictive Drums, but I really didn't think so. Can you really see only the two windows in the EZD plugin (main and mixer)? How about the "EZX" buutton? How about right-clicking on a drum in the graphic? Or on the logo? And reading the manual?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry. I might be confusing EZD and Addictive Drums, but I really didn't think so. Can you really see only the two windows in the EZD plugin (main and mixer)? How about the "EZX" buutton? How about right-clicking on a drum in the graphic? Or on the logo? And reading the manual?
I read the manual and it's pretty worthless, didn't tell me anything really.
Just very basic stuff.

This is the only thing I can click on that give me any options:
Old 11-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Well, then I have to leave it to others to try and help. Sorry.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:48 PM

From what I've read you can remap in Sonar but I haven't seen anyone mention PT.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djefvul View Post
From what I've read you can remap in Sonar but I haven't seen anyone mention PT.
PT midi capabilities are very limited, and I at least have never seen PT remapping midi. Another thought; one would think you'd be able to do the remapping in the Roland box?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
PT midi capabilities are very limited, and I at least have never seen PT remapping midi. Another thought; one would think you'd be able to do the remapping in the Roland box?
Well I can change what the pads trigger in the box but wouldn't it just trigger the same midi note in PT since it's just an input change for the e-kit. I don't think it would assign a different key in EZD/PT.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:19 PM

So after some research it seems that I wont be able to trigger my Yamaha set with EZD1 in PT. I would need to upgrade to EZD2/Superior Drummer 2 or use Sonar.

If someone has figured out how to do it then please tell me because right now it seems impossible.

Last edited by Djefvul; 11-14-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:32 PM

Hold on a minute First off, you're over-complicating things a bit. Just call up a STEREO INSTRUMENT track and insert your EZdrummer plugin on this track(top slot) and enable record on the track. That should allow the kit to trigger the sounds.

Check the manual to see if the plugin offers a midi mapping selection(which would likely include Roland, Alesis and Yamaha mappings). If it doesn't, navigate the Yamaha Drum module's edit functions and find how you assign specific notes to pads(AFAIK, every drum module allows for this). Once you figure out how to change midi note values on the Yamaha module, you just need to scroll thru until your trigger "plays" the desired sound.

More info: an INSTRUMENT track(in Pro Tools) combines features of a MIDI track, AND an AUX track and is exactly what you want for this stage of the game. Later on, when you get more fluent in midi, then you may have reasons to add tracks(such as midi tracks to add triggering for other sounds beyond what your trigger pads now cover. Audio tracks to you can print(record) your midi drums(EZdrummer) sounds to individual audio tracks, or AUX tracks so you can split the EZdrummer sounds out to separate tracks, like Kick on its own track, snare on its own track, etc. That allows you to mix the plugin drums just as you might mix an acoustic drumset.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hold on a minute First off, you're over-complicating things a bit. Just call up a STEREO INSTRUMENT track and insert your EZdrummer plugin on this track(top slot) and enable record on the track. That should allow the kit to trigger the sounds.

Check the manual to see if the plugin offers a midi mapping selection(which would likely include Roland, Alesis and Yamaha mappings). If it doesn't, navigate the Yamaha Drum module's edit functions and find how you assign specific notes to pads(AFAIK, every drum module allows for this). Once you figure out how to change midi note values on the Yamaha module, you just need to scroll thru until your trigger "plays" the desired sound.

More info: an INSTRUMENT track(in Pro Tools) combines features of a MIDI track, AND an AUX track and is exactly what you want for this stage of the game. Later on, when you get more fluent in midi, then you may have reasons to add tracks(such as midi tracks to add triggering for other sounds beyond what your trigger pads now cover. Audio tracks to you can print(record) your midi drums(EZdrummer) sounds to individual audio tracks, or AUX tracks so you can split the EZdrummer sounds out to separate tracks, like Kick on its own track, snare on its own track, etc. That allows you to mix the plugin drums just as you might mix an acoustic drumset.
Alright, if what you're saying is true it would be amazing.

So I found the manual for my set here:
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=10834

Could you take a glance at it to see if it's possible to do what you say?
I tried to change the sounds on the pads but it didn't change anything in PT.

I did what you said but I can't hear EZdrums that way:

Last edited by Djefvul; 11-14-2016 at 03:32 PM.