Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)

Old 03-05-2017, 12:31 AM

Default Strange issues with hardware in pt 5.3.1 on windows xp

Hello All

Its been some time since I was last on here. I have a D24 System with dsp farm cards that I don't use very often but have run into some what I call strange issues and I am hoping someone could shed some light on this and maybe someone has discussed this before but I can't seem to find any threads.

Anyway here it goes. I have 2 of the d24 systems one uses a d24 core card and 2 dsp farms cards with 4 882 i/o for 32 channel portable rig. The second unit is also a d24 core card with 5 dsp farm cards and a rack full 882 i/os and this one lives in the studio and the plan is to make it due a full 64 tracks.....

Both of these systems were on a mac g4 with pt6.0 and both were working fine until one day the G4 in the studio rack had a failure on the motherboard and so it died. So that rig now has the other mac on it. Since these G4 machine are hard to find parts for these days and I am really a more of pc guy not to mention I have lots of windows stuff around so I figured that I would switch the field rig over to a pc on windows xp. NO problem right..... Well I have run into an issue. First of all I didn't have a copy of PT6.0 (or 6.1) for windows which ever the proper version is, I only had a copy of 5.3.1. So no worries that is what I would use. I wasn't running any plugins other then the stock ones that comes with PT anyway.

The software installs fine (as far as I can tell) the cards install fine with the proper drivers and show up in windows control panel. Everything passes digitest. Protools opens just fine. Just to clarify this is 1 d24 core card and 2 dsp farm cards. So in the pt hardware setup I can see the 3 cards and can put an 882 i/o on each card. I can switch the analog/digital input on each of i/os with the software so they are all responding, however when I go to the i/o setup window, I can only see the 882s that are on the d24 card, I can't see the either of the ones on dsp farm cards. Sometime pt will say that I need a "TDM Stereo Mixer Plugin" however in the plugin file these are all there. The fist 2 i/os pass audio properly as well. So this mixer is there and working.

So I did some playing and if I add a second d24 card or a mix i/o card to the mix I can make the rest of the 882's show up in the software but the ones on the dsp farms cards will not activate even though they are there and won't pass audio. Anything that is on either d24 card passes audio no problem.

So my question is, is this a limitation to pt 5.3.1 that won't let audio pass on a windows machine through dsp farm card? I never did put pt 5.1 on a mac a see. These card are working properly cause they pass audio no problem on a mac. Would PT 6 for windows fix my issue?

Anyway I find this an odd issue and am hoping someone has heard of this issue. Everything else in the software works just fine as far as I can tell. Plugins all load and work as they should and it shows the farm cards in the system usage window along with the dsp usage for each and these all increase and decrease as plugins are loaded/unloaded and used.

The only thing that doesn't work is this i/o issue on the farm cards as per above.

Also if it is a pt 5.3.1 issue, anyone have a copy of pt 6 for windows I can get my hands on?