Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2004, 04:04 PM

Default Windows to Mac FW drive transfer

We just got MacDrive5 and loaded on our PC/WindowsXP system. We loaded a session from Pro Tools from my Mac (OS9.2.2) to a Mac-formatted FW drive (HFS+) and then in to our PC with no compatibility problems. It opened right up as it should. We then loaded a Windows session (Mac/PC compatibility enforced) back on to the FW drive and into the Mac. The files when transfered on to the FW drive are now unreadable by ProTools. The Find File dialog comes up and the "search" finds the files but they still won't open in the session.
I believe that when we transfered the Windows session we did a "Save session copy in..." to the Audio Drive and then dragged the session folder across on to the FW drive. Had tried a "Save session copy in..." direct to the drive but got message saying "Not a valid audio drive". Anyone know what we're doing wrong? The FW drive has worked fine from Mac to Mac.
Searched like h*ll, can't find anything archived. I'm on the Mac side and can't get at the PC til tonight. Help appreciated.
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD
Old 06-10-2004, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Windows to Mac FW drive transfer

After copying the session to the Mac unmount the FireWire drive and then open the session. If you still get the "not a valid audio drive" message check that the drive you copied the session onto is set up as a record drive in the Workspace Window.

I answered your question on the MediaFour forum as well for more details about what you need to do.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Windows to Mac FW drive transfer

Rail,
Got your message as I was going out the door, downloaded and brought it with me. All things are routinely done as you recommend.
As I suspected/hoped it was the control panels in MacDrive that we didn't know about. (Still can't find any detailed instruction about that in the MacDrive help) I just winged it with your picture and did the settings, deleted other extension maps (still not clear on all this), did a "Save session copy in" to audio drive, then dragged into FW drive. Of course I couldn't test it there but it looked OK on the drive.
Got it back here, dragged into Mac audio drive and it opened right up. Then did a "Save session copy in" to audio drive which restores PT icons,etc. and dumped transfer copy.
That was a great, informative DUC thread on the link, (and some kind of a record for patience, generosity and self control ) I think we can sort out the rest of the answers there.
Once again Rail, you have pointed the way, you are what the DUC is all about.
Many thanks.

lynxxx
80 G Seagate internal HD
60 G IBM Deskstar internal HD
40 G Buslink (Seagate)FW ext.HD