Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 02-22-2021, 12:26 PM

Default Re: Big Sur on Intel Mac

Sounds like a life lesson for your students. Not listening or not following explicit instructions are two things that will get one fired or not hired in the first place. Most of us working wouldn't tolerate it. I'd use this as an example to impart on them the importance of following instructions. This is a lesson learned in school. The School of Hard Knocks (I was a valedictorian...)

From my touring days we had a saying. Clean up your own puke. That means make them responsible for not doing what they were told. Have them fix it. There are plenty of resources out there where they can figure it out. Plus dealing with updates even in a current version (eg. Catalina) often requires troubleshooting Pro Tools installs. It's a normal part of using the tool.

What I've done for Big Sur is use an APFS container just for Big Sur and a container for Catalina to run things like Pro Tools and other software used professionally. Each container (or partition) is a separate bootable drive that can be shared regardless of which container is used as the boot volume. That's going to be advanced for many and require some direct tutoring but it's one way to do it as long as their hard drives are big enough. Another is to use an external drive with a known good Pro Tools install and boot from that. Either works well.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 PM

Been using PT 2012.12 on Big Sur for about a week now - had no choice as I bought a new 2020 27" iMac and that's what came on it.

Haven't had too many issues - aside from the text cropping on the new track dialog someone else mentioned, and an odd (minor but annoying) issue that may be due to the eGPU I'm using for extra monitors. Might be a combination of that + Big Sur, donno. Every now and then for a fraction of a second the video will update on the wrong monitor, overlaying itself on my edit window briefly.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mushoopork View Post
Been using PT 2012.12 on Big Sur for about a week now - had no choice as I bought a new 2020 27" iMac and that's what came on it.

Haven't had too many issues - aside from the text cropping on the new track dialog someone else mentioned, and an odd (minor but annoying) issue that may be due to the eGPU I'm using for extra monitors. Might be a combination of that + Big Sur, donno. Every now and then for a fraction of a second the video will update on the wrong monitor, overlaying itself on my edit window briefly.
Actually you can backtrack to Catalina as your model came out before Big Sur existed. It was originally shipped with Catalina and that's the thing that determines if you can go back or not.

QAPLA!
Old 02-23-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Actually you can backtrack to Catalina as your model came out before Big Sur existed. It was originally shipped with Catalina and that's the thing that determines if you can go back or not.
Let me amend your post by saying "downgrade" of your OS or simply "clean install" of the current one is the first prerequisite of getting a fully functioning PT system.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:15 AM

Been using ultimate and Big Sur for a while now. No big issues. Mixing is my full time job.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:00 AM

Doing fine for me on a MBP, i9 32 gigs of ram. Not issues at all. It's not my main system though. I wouldn't upgrade that until Avid approved....and even then I will wait a bit.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiobob View Post
Doing fine for me on a MBP, i9 32 gigs of ram. Not issues at all. It's not my main system though. I wouldn't upgrade that until Avid approved....and even then I will wait a bit.
I'm running the 16" MacBook with same specs and any 2020.12 projects start blowing the fans full blast within seconds of hitting play. No other issues of any kind. It's very stable. Same projects with same plugins don't do this in Live 11 or Logic Pro X. System usage in PT shows less CPU than my other DAWs too (around 13%). I wonder what is going on with my setup - maybe the way I have it configured or something.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:04 AM

Thanks so much for all of the input. The only reason this came up is because some of them are having issues. Of course I have suggested a clean install of OS Catalina.

Following directions and reading seems to be some thing even college students don't do all the time. I guess it will be trial by fire and a life lesson if things don't work smoothly for them at this juncture.

As far as I know, Abbet will not be coming out with a big sir approved version on Intel for sometime. I hope I am wrong on that.

For those of you running Big Sur on the Intel, are you working with picture?
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
Thanks so much for all of the input. The only reason this came up is because some of them are having issues. Of course I have suggested a clean install of OS Catalina.

Following directions and reading seems to be some thing even college students don't do all the time. I guess it will be trial by fire and a life lesson if things don't work smoothly for them at this juncture.

As far as I know, Abbet will not be coming out with a big sir approved version on Intel for sometime. I hope I am wrong on that.

For those of you running Big Sur on the Intel, are you working with picture?
Old 02-24-2021, 05:08 PM

Whoops I forgot how to post on the DUC :)

Hello, been running Intel Mac Mini 2018 Big Sur separate drive PT 2020.12 Vanilla. It's been solid for the most part. However, another post someone was having trouble with Izoptope plugs but all my Izotope plugs (and others) have been fine. Wishing everyone well cheers!

-Len