Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 01-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Default Assigning a midi CC to a fader

Hi, i would like to assign a fader of my master keyboard to the mater aux fader in order to control volume of the entire project, so i do not have to use the mause all the times.

that "link" should be indipendent from the track i have selected in the edit window.

Is it possible? I'm coming from Logic so i'm still learning, i've browsed all pro-tools menu but i can't see anything related do midi cc, do i need a compatible control surface in order to do that ?
No way to have just the volume on a fader controlled by a midi cc?

thanks
Old 01-29-2010, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Assing a midi CC to a fader

nope - so far I know

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 01-31-2010, 06:55 AM

This is a MAJOR flaw with Pro Tools.
You have to have a HUI compatable control surface or purchase one of the controllers from Digidesign.
I am dying to build a custom controller of my own since there is a huge gap between the functionality and cost of current surfaces.
Sadly unless Avid change their policy or you know a reverse engineer bod, you are stuck.
If you just want one fader i suggest you purchase either Frontier Designs Alphatrack or a Presonus Faderport and use their HUI mode.
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 01-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer View Post
This is a MAJOR flaw with Pro Tools.
You have to have a HUI compatable control surface or purchase one of the controllers from Digidesign.
I am dying to build a custom controller of my own since there is a huge gap between the functionality and cost of current surfaces.
Sadly unless Avid change their policy or you know a reverse engineer bod, you are stuck.
If you just want one fader i suggest you purchase either Frontier Designs Alphatrack or a Presonus Faderport and use their HUI mode.
It's not a major a flaw. The OP needs to RTFM. Read up on master faders, busses and auxes.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 AM

Assuming your controller is programable, all you need to do is program your controller to have the same parameters of a midi controller that is compatible with pro tools, such as the JL cooper CS10 or the mackie HUI. Then set up pro tools to have that peripheral connected. This will take a little research on your part, read the manual for your controller and then figure out how to make it emulate one that pro tools is compatible with. I have done this before, and I know I was able to find data for a CS-10 on the internet relatively easily.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 AM

The faderport is only about 120 US.. and much smaller. I think that facilitates the OP's rather explicit request.
The JL cooper could leave a mark..just guessing.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:17 AM

ProTools does not support arbitrary MIDI control of parameters. It only supports its own (undocumented) control surface protocols, and two documented legacy control protocols. The documented protocols are for the JL-Cooper CS-10 and the Mackie HUI. This limitation is on purpose so that Digidesign can sell control surfaces. So perhaps it is not a "flaw" but certainly is a major LIMITATION in ProTools. But it is on purpose so Digidesign can sell control surfaces.

Do some searching and reading on the CS-10 protocol. It may do what you want. IIRC it uses a predefined mapping between CC numbers and faders. It does not support motorized faders so if a fader changes from ProTools then you will have to move the fader through the current point before ProTools will respond again. In your case your keyboard isn't likely to have motorized faders so this is probably the desired behavior.

The Mackie HUI has the limitation that there are periodic status checks. ProTools will periodically send a message to the HUI and expect the proper reply. If it does not get the proper response back then ProTools assumes the HUI has gone away and disables it. So to use the HUI protocol you need to be able to program your keyboard to spit back the response every time it receives the keepalive message from ProTools.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:08 PM

Does anyone have good experiences with the Behringer faderboard and its BabyHUI emulation? It's pretty cheap.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Does anyone have good experiences with the Behringer faderboard and its BabyHUI emulation? It's pretty cheap.
I would avoid Behringer gear like the plague. It's cheap for a reason. Your money would be much better spent buying something used from a more reputable brand.

Have you looked at the presonus faderport and frontier alphatrack? They each only have one fader, but it's motorized and they both have several other cool tricks up their sleeves. Really nice to have next to your keyboard. You should be able to pick one up used for around $100.

I think the newer versions of the JL cooper fadermaster have motorized faders, though I'm not sure what they go for these days. I have been very happy with every piece of JL cooper gear I've owned, very well built stuff.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM

I own and use a BabyHUI. It's everything that I need. Well, I need a D-Control, but the BabyHui is so integrated into my workflow and physical layout, I would not be a happy camper if I had to replace it.

If you can find a babyHUI in good condition, I'd buy it.