Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Hi everyone, i was hoping someone here could help me. I'm a longtime browser of these forums and new poster and really appreciate the help and advice everyone here offers. I have searched and read the forums and still could not find exactly what i'm looking for. Basicly i was wondering what the best setup would be for an Intel based system(processor/mobo) while not braking the bank. I'm so far leaning toward Core 2 Duo Core E4600, but am now wondering if Quad Core is the way to go(or a faster Dual Core). With a Asus P5KC LGA 775 motherboard. P35 chipset seems stable enough from what i've read here but i want to be sure. I'll be running 002 hardware and pro tools le and nuendo 3, depending on session requirements. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be gretly appreciated, i think i'm on the right track but need some help. I come from the Mac audio world, but due to recent discoveries of cost savings, stability, compatability, etc.(the list could go on for a while)of Pc's over Macs, it seems to me PC is the way to go. Thanks
did you check out page one of this thread??? it has a lot of the builds that have been done by DUC'ers. you'll find choices of cpu, mobo, video cards, and memory!! i suggest you study that then figure out where your budget is and THEN post specific questions as to your 'desired/considered' build. i will say, for the money, Q6600 G0 stepping is the way to go right now!!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-29-2008, 11:08 AM

Will this work for portools LE ?
It has a P65 Mother B ....

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...257&lid=678048

Q6600 G0 stepping is the way to go right now ...
What is G0 stepping ? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hey Sunburst got a question on a problem I am having.

When I go into my Audio Device Properties, I see no Recording Device, its greyed out. Ive already disabled the onboard audio and never even installed its audio drivers. So when I go to track one on my 003 and connect my guitar and bass ive tried both with different cables, I get no signal. Can you help?
Can someone help me out on this issue. On my "Sounds and Audio Device Properties" in the "Audio" Tab, "Sound Recording is greyed out. I have a Digi 003 Factory. I get no sound when I connect my guitar on any channel, no signal whatsoever. HELP?
You need to connect your speakers to the monitor out on the 003 and the Guitar to the 003s input. The Windows "Sound and Audio Devices" control panel applet doesn't really have anything to do with Pro Tools other than routing things like Windows Media Player out through the 003.

Only one device can access the 003 at any given time so If you have a program already open that you have set to use the 003 as its output than you will not hear anything from Pro Tools until you close the non Pro Tools application. Hope that helps some

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-29-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Re: My Results/Memory Question

Quote:
Sunburst I got your mail this morning Thanks saludos
Hopefully I made sense typing replys at 5AM before I'm awake can be dangerous. Very good to hear from you again. Glad to hear the machine is running well.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone, i was hoping someone here could help me. I'm a longtime browser of these forums and new poster and really appreciate the help and advice everyone here offers. I have searched and read the forums and still could not find exactly what i'm looking for. Basicly i was wondering what the best setup would be for an Intel based system(processor/mobo) while not braking the bank. I'm so far leaning toward Core 2 Duo Core E4600, but am now wondering if Quad Core is the way to go(or a faster Dual Core). With a Asus P5KC LGA 775 motherboard. P35 chipset seems stable enough from what i've read here but i want to be sure. I'll be running 002 hardware and pro tools le and nuendo 3, depending on session requirements. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be gretly appreciated, i think i'm on the right track but need some help. I come from the Mac audio world, but due to recent discoveries of cost savings, stability, compatability, etc.(the list could go on for a while)of Pc's over Macs, it seems to me PC is the way to go. Thanks
The P35 is fine although we are still waiting for Digis official blessing Correct me if I'm wrong but the P5KC is the board that supports both DDR2 and DDR3? There was as I recall a poster that had issues with that particular board. I would just run a regular P5K standard withh DDR2 and grab a approved SIIG FW card if you using a Fw interface like the 002 or 003. The differance in price Vs the performance has yet to swing in the favor of DDR3. You definately want a Q6600 or Q9450 if you can swing it (use the money saved by sticking with DDR2 to finance the upgraded processer)

BTW there was another (Tray) Q6600 and Q6700 price drop announced last week or so. Q6600's may dip below 200.00 at some point.

I have both Mac and PC and both are good. At this point XP is very stable.

I enjoy building stuff to much to ever go completely Mac.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 04-30-2008, 03:53 PM

Default So Far, So Not So Good

Sheesh. Here I am to whine again! So far, my system, when it's working, is great. But so far I get the occasional random crash (not while using Pro Tools, though that happens)- in fact, as I was trying to post this my computer just went BEEEEEEEEP and stayed like that!!

In ProTools itself, I get the occasional Access Violation, Buffer Under/Overrun error, or Running out of CPU Power message, even when the CPU meter is barely even there. Sigh.

My other issue is with Firewire. My 002 works fine on the built in FW port. But that same port won't detect 1394 drives. Neither will my SIIG chip. Same drives on USB and other computers work fine.

So what am I doing wrong? I sincerely hope you guys don't mind, you're the only people who understand what I'm doing, and I trust you guys far more than any tech support people. My old PC was solid as a rock, it just had no power. I work on HD at work, and I did a DVerb test on that and I got 95...

rocketeer

Q6600, P5k-e/wifi, corsair xps 2 gig 1066, Arctic Freezer 7, xfx geforce8600gt, 2 seagate 250 gb sata drives, siig fw card, samsung dvd burner, partridge with PearTree HD/192
Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Default Re: So Far, So Not So Good

Quote:
Sheesh. Here I am to whine again! So far, my system, when it's working, is great. But so far I get the occasional random crash (not while using Pro Tools, though that happens)- in fact, as I was trying to post this my computer just went BEEEEEEEEP and stayed like that!!

In ProTools itself, I get the occasional Access Violation, Buffer Under/Overrun error, or Running out of CPU Power message, even when the CPU meter is barely even there. Sigh.

My other issue is with Firewire. My 002 works fine on the built in FW port. But that same port won't detect 1394 drives. Neither will my SIIG chip. Same drives on USB and other computers work fine.

So what am I doing wrong? I sincerely hope you guys don't mind, you're the only people who understand what I'm doing, and I trust you guys far more than any tech support people. My old PC was solid as a rock, it just had no power. I work on HD at work, and I did a DVerb test on that and I got 95...

rocketeer

Q6600, P5k-e/wifi, corsair xps 2 gig 1066, Arctic Freezer 7, xfx geforce8600gt, 2 seagate 250 gb sata drives, siig fw card, samsung dvd burner, partridge with PearTree HD/192
you might wanna try disabling the onboard FW and wifi in the BIOS. If you are getting random errors regardles of PT try running Memtest 86+.
And the best tip of all - start a new topic

Quote:
did a DVerb test on that and I got 95...

Was this TDM Dverbs only or TDM+RTAS or TDM+HTDM? what platform is this on?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:49 PM

>>
you might wanna try disabling the onboard FW and wifi in the BIOS. If you are getting random errors regardles of PT try running Memtest 86+.<<

I will try the MemTest, thanks.

Why disable onboard FW? I mentioned I also tried it on my SIIG card, and the 002 is fine on the onboard.

Naturally, the WiFi was disabled when I first booted the computer...

>>
And the best tip of all - start a new topic<<

Isn't the name of this topic "...results and specs?" Well, these are my results!! lol Obviously, I've built the Quad in this thread, so who better to ask then you guys who work with them every day?

>>
Quote:
did a DVerb test on that and I got 95...

Was this TDM Dverbs only or TDM+RTAS or TDM+HTDM? what platform is this on?

[/QUOTE]<<

That was TDM Dverbs only- not counting RTAS- on a G4. Even if I got fifty to a hundred more, it would still be less than my quad for a heckuva a lot less money! Of course, we all know the things that HD can do that LE cannot, so I was just mentioning that as a point of interest.

Thanks for your help!

rocketeer
Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:

rocketeer

things that come to mind right off are memory (like mano said) and voltage (both core and dram). might want to check those settings and make sure they are set correctly.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 05-01-2008, 03:47 PM

It gets a little weirder... ok, so I dl'ed memtest at my friend's house, came back to my house and my computer wouldn't turn on. It would start the cd, then off, then on, and so on... this actually happened once before, and when it started working again I got a CMOS Checksum error, and my BIOS system time and date were reset to 2001...

So I thought maybe it's bad ram, so I traipsed down to my local Tiger Direct and bought 2 gigs of corsair dominator memory, figuring that when I returned my XMS, I'd have 4 gig. Installed it, same problem. I did notice that maybe the case seemed slightly "electric-y?" Grounding or power issue?

I took out my SIIG firewire card, and the system booted up. Dunno if that's a coinkidink. Got the CMOS error again and once again my BIOS settings were set to default and 2002. I'd love to hear any thoughts on this, and remember I am a newbie when it comes to building. Sigh, my buddy's Quad that I built is so solid... maybe I should get a Mac... NO!!! AT least the system is working again, I have a ton of work to do!

you guys are great,
rocketeer