Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 AM

Default RME HDSPe/Digiface Sample Rate

With PT 11, I was hoping the capability in PT to change the buffer size in the hardware was resolved.

I am curious if any RME HDSPe users have gotten their gear to change Buffer Sizes from within PT? Or are you still having to close PT out, make the change on the RME side, then re-launch PT?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Re: RME HDSPe/Digiface Sample Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshonk View Post
With PT 11, I was hoping the capability in PT to change the buffer size in the hardware was resolved.

I am curious if any RME HDSPe users have gotten their gear to change Buffer Sizes from within PT? Or are you still having to close PT out, make the change on the RME side, then re-launch PT?
Well the buffer setting and sample rate are two separate things, but I think that for the majority of 3rd party interfaces you have to shut down Pro Tools to change the buffer or sample rate. A little bit inconvenient, but I run at a 32 buffer 99% of the time without having to raise it. Plus, I switch between 10 and 11 right now anyway so I'm pretty used to shutting PT down and relaunching.

Chris

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 01-22-2015, 07:10 AM

Default Re: RME HDSPe/Digiface Sample Rate

I have to shut down and restart Pro Tools when I change buffer sizes in my RME HDSP control panel. Just another in a series of weaknesses that Pro Tools software has compared to other software.

I think Avid's marketing must have decided that Pro Tools software would work just enough with 3rd party interfaces, but enough to frustrate users. This genius strategy I suspect was designed to get people to dump their 3rd party interfaces and use a full Avid system.

Avid's software developers cannot be so stupid as not being able to work with people like RME and other 3rd party developers to have Asio Direct Monitoring and cooperative buffer size changes between Pro Tools software and 3rd party interface. It has to be a designed marketing choice. Does Cubase have better software designers? I doubt it.

For me, who has spent tons of money on gear, I'll never buy anything from Avid again. They could have made my life easier, but chose not to thinking they'd make more money down the road. Not happening for me and I suspect a whole lot of other people.