Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Default waveform display problems

Does anyone know if there is a way to make Pro Tools display the waveforms properly when zoomed in to view lower audio levels?

As it is now, I can only see the low level waveforms when I zoom so far in that I can only see about 200ms of a region at a time. If I zoom any farther out, the low level waveform disappears completely, and everything else looks very pixelated and blocky.

If there is no remedy for this, I guess maybe we will have to wait for version 8 for the kind of waveform display that other editing softwares have been providing for years now.

Mike
Old 07-21-2008, 02:36 PM

Why bother posting a question if you're going to include that kind of derogatory tone along with it? Do you actually want to know the answer, or do you just like trying to find things to bash on about PT? It's a very simple solution (most other audio editing software steals their waveform viewing/editing features from PT, so yes, it can be done). You could probably figure it out if you attempted to read your documentation, but based on the way you asked the question it doesn't sound like you really want an answer.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 PM

Sorry. I'm just frustrated, and was trying to laugh it off with a bit of cynicism. Can you clue me in on where in the documentation it covers changing how the waveforms are displayed depending on zoom settings? I sure couldn't find it.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Re-caculate waveforms in the regions drop down menu. The waveforms sometimes are displayed wrong when you record with the buffer at lower settings.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:58 PM

..and increase waveform display size vertically; it is in the Zoom "palette" beside the vertical zoom for MIDI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Re: waveform display problems

Recalculate waveforms in the regions drop-down menu!

thank you, this has been driving me nuts.

Joe
Old 12-14-2008, 11:10 AM

actually, the recalculating waveform thing doesn't change the lo-res waveform display, it will just redraw it.

i heard from a friend who went to a pro tools 8 demo recently that they changed the waveform display to 16 bit resolution in pt 8. so it looks like this problem should be solved in the new version. yay!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:31 AM

Re-calculate Waveforms is only for when experiencing these Mis-Drawn waveform, which cs8 update apparently fixes. THis is not the issue he is having...

Level, what Mouse/Trackball are you using? If you hold option down and then use the scroll ball on the mighty mouse or the scroll wheel on something like the Kensington Trackball, if it is set to Vertical scrolling it will raise the height of the low levels to make them show up better. It might need to be set to horizontal scrolling, I can't remember, but if you mess around with option and the scroll wheel/ball you should get what you need. If it doesn't work for you post back here and I will open Pro Tools and give you step by step directions.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 AM

it's not that. the issue is just the bit resolution of the waveform display, which has apparently been fixed in pt8, since waveform drawing now has a 16 bit resolution. maybe no one else is getting what i'm talking about here. but if you zoom in on a waveform with low audio levels you can see the waveform, whereas when you are zoomed out you won't see more than a few blocks or spikes here and there. this is a simple issue with the resolution of the waveform overview at lower zoom levels. the only fix for it is to upgrade to pt8 which offers higher bit depth waveform overviews.

here's a picture that illustrates the problem i'm referring to. this is a screenshot of a waveform with the amplitude of the waveform zoomed up (top) and then one zoom level higher (below). you will notice the difference in the waveform display quite clearly.

http://deifiedaudio.com/images/waveforms.png

hopefully this should put an end to this thread. thank you all for your helpful attempts to resolve this problem. but i'm starting to realize that, when it comes to digidesign, the main way to solve problems is to upgrade, and just keep hoping stuff gets fixed eventually.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
Why bother posting a question if you're going to include that kind of derogatory tone along with it? Do you actually want to know the answer, or do you just like trying to find things to bash on about PT? It's a very simple solution (most other audio editing software steals their waveform viewing/editing features from PT, so yes, it can be done). You could probably figure it out if you attempted to read your documentation, but based on the way you asked the question it doesn't sound like you really want an answer.
Chill out Slim
Who made you the thread sheriff