Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-21-2016, 08:34 PM

Default Sticky Faders, GUI Lag when moving faders

I've seen a couple other threads but thought I'd start another. Fresh install of OS X 10.10.5 and PT12.4 HD Native on a SSD 6G Samsung drive and installed into an OWC Accelsior card. http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/P...sior/S-Carrier

It's really bad. All optimizations done. Tried making a brand new 12 session and loaded the CPU by using 50 VI duplicates. So it's not an 11 session to 12 issue. Anyone have a fix, know if this is a bug? Same Mid 2012 12-core Mac Pro. Never saw this with 11 and OS X 10.8.5

Last edited by Intransit; 01-22-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Sticky Faders, GUI Lag when moving faders

I'm having same problems on 10.9.5 with a really fast GTX780 graphic card. Didn't have graphic issue with PT 11.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop2112 View Post
I'm having same problems on 10.9.5 with a really fast GTX780 graphic card. Didn't have graphic issue with PT 11.
Same issue here. Running 12.4 on Mavericks 10.95 on a nMP/'trahscan' with 32GB ram and what I understand to be pretty darn amazing dual graphics cards.

When running PT 11.3.1 on the same exact setup I had no issues. Been going back and forth with Avid support trying some troubleshoots which so far are basically swapping out connectors and the order of what's plugged into what ports on my machine for my monitors and HD Native connections.

I should add that I am running a dual monitor setup, and noticed that when I disconnected one monitor (specifically the one that was connected directly to HDMI on my mac) the performance of smooth fader movements was restored when all was running on only one monitor, but again this wasn't an issue w/ PT 11.3.1.
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 01-27-2016, 10:50 PM

'Apple broke some stuff on our end. We have a fix - we simply need to deploy it but in the meantime I would go 10.9 for OS.' Email from someone high up at Avid.

I've setup a new partition with 10.9.5. Why it's taken Avid so long, who knows. Also spoke to a lead tech at Apple to confirm all this. The major lag is gone
Old 01-28-2016, 02:17 AM

urgh release it already. I guess we'll have to wait for 12.5 got my disk image ready to go here! haha

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 02-03-2016, 02:25 PM

bumping this thread to see if any developments? I'm running 10.9.5 with PTHD12.4 and still having laggy faders on a new Mac Pro trashcan. Most everything else GUI-related (on a dual display setup) seems to be running smoothly, but the sticky faders issue persists. What's more unsettling is that it's pretty hard to predict when it will pop up. Sometimes it's manageable, other times it's really bad. Hard to attribute it to any other circumstances, i.e. complicated PT session vs small/simple one, losts of VI's vs not lots of VI's.

The problem just seems to happen when and how it wants.

Maybe the issue in OSX 10.11 El Capitan is way worse, but I definitely don't feel like 10.9.5 has "fixed" anything.
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
bumping this thread to see if any developments? I'm running 10.9.5 with PTHD12.4 and still having laggy faders on a new Mac Pro trashcan. Most everything else GUI-related (on a dual display setup) seems to be running smoothly, but the sticky faders issue persists. What's more unsettling is that it's pretty hard to predict when it will pop up. Sometimes it's manageable, other times it's really bad. Hard to attribute it to any other circumstances, i.e. complicated PT session vs small/simple one, losts of VI's vs not lots of VI's.

The problem just seems to happen when and how it wants.

Maybe the issue in OSX 10.11 El Capitan is way worse, but I definitely don't feel like 10.9.5 has "fixed" anything.
I'm having issues with the lag for sure. It happened for me with 11.3.2 with osx 10.9.5 as well. It's also happening with 12.4 and osx 10.10.5, and capitan. Have to use yosemite and quartz debug. It's a fix, but wish I didn't need to rely on it.
In a newer development, 12.4 also introduced screen lag in regards to scrolling horizontally for me when using beat detective's analyze mode, even with quartz debug, which really is a major bummer to me. Can't get rid of it if I wanted to without reverting back to 11, which defeats the purpose of my upgrade. Somewhere in the coding of 12, something somehow caused a new graphics glitch using beat detective (that can't be fixed by quartz debug) and this hasn't existed for 4 versions prior?? What are they doing over there?.. Weird..
Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
I'm having issues with the lag for sure. It happened for me with 11.3.2 with osx 10.9.5 as well. It's also happening with 12.4 and osx 10.10.5, and capitan. Have to use yosemite and quartz debug. It's a fix, but wish I didn't need to rely on it.
In a newer development, 12.4 also introduced screen lag in regards to scrolling horizontally for me when using beat detective's analyze mode, even with quartz debug, which really is a major bummer to me. Can't get rid of it if I wanted to without reverting back to 11, which defeats the purpose of my upgrade. Somewhere in the coding of 12, something somehow caused a new graphics glitch using beat detective (that can't be fixed by quartz debug) and this hasn't existed for 4 versions prior?? What are they doing over there?.. Weird..
ya big bummer that seems to keep unfolding as we use 12.4 more. I don't want to revert to 11.3 either! Unfortunately Quartz Debug doesn't run on anything older than Yosemite or I might give it a shot. But i also don't want to rely on it. I've read in other threads that Avid are aware of this issue and are recommending that people run on 10.9.5 if possible... but it's still an issue for me on that OS so not trying to update OS to potentially create even more problems until there's a more clear solution.
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 02-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
ya big bummer that seems to keep unfolding as we use 12.4 more. I don't want to revert to 11.3 either! Unfortunately Quartz Debug doesn't run on anything older than Yosemite or I might give it a shot. But i also don't want to rely on it. I've read in other threads that Avid are aware of this issue and are recommending that people run on 10.9.5 if possible... but it's still an issue for me on that OS so not trying to update OS to potentially create even more problems until there's a more clear solution.
Actually, Quartz Debug does work on Mavericks 10.9.5. That's where I used it completely with 11.3.2, as I felt no reason to update to yosemite at the time. Now that I have 12.4 though, I decided to give it a try thinking that Avid designed 12 around yosemite, but it unfortunately hasn't helped matters, and as I said, made things worse in regards to beat detective.

The strange thing though, is that I use an external monitor with my Macbook, and the problem doesn't persist on my external monitor. Only on the retina screen. Super weird.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
Actually, Quartz Debug does work on Mavericks 10.9.5. That's where I used it completely with 11.3.2, as I felt no reason to update to yosemite at the time. Now that I have 12.4 though, I decided to give it a try thinking that Avid designed 12 around yosemite, but it unfortunately hasn't helped matters, and as I said, made things worse in regards to beat detective.

The strange thing though, is that I use an external monitor with my Macbook, and the problem doesn't persist on my external monitor. Only on the retina screen. Super weird.
Hmm weird. It wouldn't let me access it when I tried to download Xcode via the App store. Maybe bc I was trying to do it on my main machine which is 10.9.5? Did you download Xcode/Quartz Debug via your 10.9.5 machine at the time? Maybe they've changed how you access it since?

I have 10.10.5 running on a Macbook Pro, in case that helps...
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog