Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 AM

Default Re: M-Audio Fast Track Ultra on El Capitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveiro View Post
I'm not sure the IOAudioFamily.kext needs to be reversed to Yosemite version, and my El Capitan OS is now a bit less genuine BUT
the Fast Track Ultra works as supposed too !!!

Just sharing in case you're still waiting for a solution (!!!)
Based upon what I'm reading, I'm gathering you're some form of a coder.

As such, would you be able to make a .cmd file that we would be able to execute to do exactly what you've done, or at the very least privide a step by step way of doing so?

I'm more well versed on Windows and although I'm technical, I am by no means a coder and can't do what's needed to help out our fellow users here.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveiro View Post
You'll find further information on insanelymac forum :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top.../#entry2238873
Thanks Oliveiro,

that's a tough one !

tougher than bossa nova !

F
Old 05-27-2016, 12:51 AM

SOLVED!!!!! The solution was finally found by user Oliveiro!! I have just did it, and everything works both in OSx sound settings and in Cubase...

Heres a step by step guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...an-workaround/

The only thing he forgot to mention is that after renaming those 11 kexts, and fixing permissions and cache with KCPM, ATTENTION - you should rename all of them back to .kext or you will get a non-functional touchpad, keyboard, usbports and will have to reinstall os again.

And one more thing, theres no such Kext as - Inside AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext/Contents/Plugins/:
AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext

Instead of it i have found AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext being in the AppleTopCase.kext.... there youll find AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext

Maybe well see other strugles and problems along the way, but as for now, it works perfectly... Thanks to Oliveiro. Dont know why he doesnt spread the word about his fix. All qestions should be sent to him. Dont forget to creat a Timemachine Backup before doing all changes.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:08 PM

@oliveiro: +1 for making something lesser nerds like myself could use. I know, disabling SIP we'd have to do by ourselves. Btw, would this work on a Fasttrack Ultra 8R as well?

Thanks..
Old 06-04-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danko View Post
@oliveiro: +1 for making something lesser nerds like myself could use. I know, disabling SIP we'd have to do by ourselves. Btw, would this work on a Fasttrack Ultra 8R as well?

Thanks..
Followed the steps but havent quite been able to get it to work with the Fast Track Ultra 8R. I had to manually install the drivers as itd always fail and replacing the two kexts with the single IOUSbFamily did not break anything on my hackintosh laptop so I didnt change anything else, maybe Im doing something wrong?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftin View Post
SOLVED!!!!! The solution was finally found by user Oliveiro!! I have just did it, and everything works both in OSx sound settings and in Cubase...

Heres a step by step guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top...an-workaround/

The only thing he forgot to mention is that after renaming those 11 kexts, and fixing permissions and cache with KCPM, ATTENTION - you should rename all of them back to .kext or you will get a non-functional touchpad, keyboard, usbports and will have to reinstall os again.

And one more thing, theres no such Kext as - Inside AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext/Contents/Plugins/:
AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext

Instead of it i have found AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext being in the AppleTopCase.kext.... there youll find AppleUSBTopCaseDriver.kext

Maybe well see other strugles and problems along the way, but as for now, it works perfectly... Thanks to Oliveiro. Dont know why he doesnt spread the word about his fix. All qestions should be sent to him. Dont forget to creat a Timemachine Backup before doing all changes.
Im an actual idiot, neglected to backup the kexts in order to get the kernel cache to update. Followed this and now its working perfectly! All my USB ports and such seem to be functioning fine too. Many thanks for this guys!
Old 06-12-2016, 01:27 PM

Ignore my previous post, I have managed to get the Fast Track Ultra 8R working perfectly once again on El Capitan!

The best thing about this work around is that this will most likely be applicable to all future updates to OS X So this interface is not a useless brick anymore to mac users.

The workaround has now become far more sophisticated thanks to Olivier and it is now a case of replacing only 1 file now.

Please see here for more info!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/top.../#entry2238873
Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesc View Post
ADDENDUM:
After more tinkering... it seems the Kext need only be in /Library/Extensions (for me)

It seems for Userland (i.e. unsigned kexts) - put them in /Library/Extensions to make it work... I suspect this for all hardware that was working under Yosemite but not in El Capitan.

It also seems that the latest kext that worked with yosemite is required.

REVISED INSTRUCTIONS:
So for any kext... get the latest and install it.

1. Go to System/Library/Extensions
2. copy the required kext
3. paste it to Library/Extensions
4. Open Terminal
5. type "cd Library/Extensions" and hit enter.
6. type "sudo chmod -R 755 copiedkextname.kext" and hit enter again.
7. type "sudo chown -R root:wheel copiedkextname.kext" and hit enter one more time
8. Reboot

Good luck
In the terminal this is weird because I always get "No such file or directory" line after I hit enter for every line...what's wrong?

Thanks