Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2013, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Dear Tom,

thanks for your aspect of this situation. To put it blunty: Your hardware design engineers just built the controller TOO well - they run, even from 1998 until now - like my pro control. There are just a few devices that do so long in the audio industry. However-...

If AVID cannot affort an adaption on the actual PT11 version - why don't you just open up the sources of the driver to the public. Like you said, it's a "12 years old technology" that you abandoned now. So why don't you make it open/public and we got a lot of users who would like to make it work again.

It's important to make the guys in the accountant department one thing clear: Not helping all the guys with the old (but still working) controllers will NOT generate a single dollar of new income in hardware controllers.

If you can't afford it to make the drivers work - make it free - of course with no support from AVID's side.

Thanks.

GnS

#### ICON DISCONTINUED - NOW COMES S6: http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/t...6-at-ibc-2013/ ####
From the video seen above: it LOOKS really good - not like the ICON Toy appeal...
Hopefully a little bit of clarification...

I fear the "open-source" thing may be a bit misunderstood.

If I sit down tonight and write a new "super DAW" and decide to release it open-source, I fill out a "license" online and bada bing, bada boom...done.

But for a large corporation like Avid, the driver is "intellectual property", which makes it an asset. And they can't just "give" an asset away, it must be disposed of in an accounting sense. This could require changes to Avid's accounting system...admittedly small changes, but changes done by folks who are getting paid for their efforts. Avid is facing some September deadlines for some overdue SEC reports and could face some heavy dollar fines if they aren't done on time, I doubt that "giving something away" would be high on Avid's accounting department's priorities.

And that would be if Avid owned the whole driver, which they probably don't. Focusrite did some of the early control surface development for Digidesign (now Avid), and I imagine they licensed some of their technology to Avidesign. So Focusrite also would have to spend some time (and money) sorting things out if they wanted to give their technology away, which they probably don't.

And then there is the fact that Avid is headquartered in the good old litigious USA. If Avid released the driver as either a non-supported item or into the open source world, and someone got injured (physical or otherwise) by one of these control surfaces, you can rest assured that the plaintiff's lawyers would be coming after Avid's deep pockets.

So there's a whole lot more to it than Avid just saying, "Here, guys...have fun", so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an open-source driver.

Now, I have to jump in my 1998 Honda and go pick up my dawg. Since there's a nice "fast" street on my route, I'll probably be able to blow the doors off at least a couple of other cars on my one-mile journey, while using just a tiny bit of gas to do so. Other than a few rough spots in the paint it's still a perfect car...except...there is a broken piece of plastic in the center console that "buzzes", and Honda doesn't stock parts for my car anymore.

Sound familiar?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 09-07-2013, 01:16 PM

I'm sure it would be easy to write a driver that makes the Pro Control work exactly like a HUI. I just suspect there's code contributing to its superior performance baked into old Pro Tools versions that would be costly to rewrite in a manner that's compatible with and doesn't degrade the performance of their new Eucon controllers.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:11 PM

Hi Bob,

Would that not also have killed the 003, C24 and the Hui, the code would be in sub routines so would have affected them all?
My thought is this is just a Control 24 and Pro Control assassination, plain and simple for all the poor reasons that have been previously mentioned.

Would love if some could do the 32 to 64 bit re-compilation as described in other posts.

Or maybe Avid have a new thing waiting in the wings for us, a more affordable version of the fancy new controller that seems to be just around the corner.

Cheers Scotsman
Old 09-07-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
Other than a few rough spots in the paint it's still a perfect car...except...there is a broken piece of plastic in the center console that "buzzes", and Honda doesn't stock parts for my car anymore.
Sound familiar?
Not a single member here asked them to stock parts for these consoles.

What if Toyota said you are no longer allowed to drive it because if there is no parts to fix it how can the insurance company insure a vehicle that can not be repaired. Therefor leaving your car useless even though it still works just fine. But your not allowed to have a driver in it. Now what's that good for. When these controllers were released for retail they actually cost more than a lot of new vehicles at that time did. Is that fair is that honest business , My word means no more than any persons here but I think the crowd has spoken. No that isn't fair. There will come a day when these controllers can not work any longer but that day technically speaking is not now. I say let them work until they cant. Unless you believe 1000 a year to rent a control surface is fair.

Like many others I desperately need my surface to work in at least one installment of 64bit at very least
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM

They are artificially bricking them. If you think otherwise, you're naive.

Let's all kill this useless thread. please.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:43 PM

It might have been Pro Control specific code that was tuned to the Pro Control faders and was enabled when a Pro Control was detected by the system. Remember we are talking about an accessory for Pro Tools 4 when there was only minimal MIDI controller support (anybody remember Cooper?) and there would be no such thing as LE or HUI until several years later. Control 24 probably employed some of the same Pro Control code since it was already there.

What would Avid possibly have to gain from assassination? That makes no sense at all to me especially considering they could just assassinate HUI and make a whale of a lot more money!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:08 PM

How about a Box that could convert old controlers ( Control24, C24, ProControl, Icon... ) to eucon? an in and out ethernet box??

I bought my ProControl in 2006, not in 1998...
Old 09-07-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cure View Post
How about a Box that could convert old controlers ( Control24, C24, ProControl, Icon... ) to eucon? an in and out ethernet box??
Great idea !
Old 09-07-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It might have been Pro Control specific code that was tuned to the Pro Control faders and was enabled when a Pro Control was detected by the system. Remember we are talking about an accessory for Pro Tools 4 when there was only minimal MIDI controller support (anybody remember Cooper?) and there would be no such thing as LE or HUI until several years later. Control 24 probably employed some of the same Pro Control code since it was already there.

What would Avid possibly have to gain from assassination? That makes no sense at all to me especially considering they could just assassinate HUI and make a whale of a lot more money!
HUI was 1997, Pro Control in 1998.

They are simply trying to thin the test grid and drive sales of C24s, Artist, and the new C6. That's the line up they see/want. At the expense of a large portion of their customer base. I highly doubt they knew the uproar they were going to create. But it's a calculated business move for sure.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM

I'm still interested to see if the 32bit com files can be used in the 64bit application (PT11) which is entirely possible as I was talking about here http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...postcount=1346 on Win7 and I'm sure Mac has similar capability. This type of thing is done when original source code is not available to recompile.
Basically a 'wrapper' for the 32bit process. If it worked there would be some additional 'overhead' but may be tolerable for a controller. As Bill D. says worth trying.
Something to try on a Win7 rig here http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2...postcount=1348 if somedody has PT11 to try this with.

The function calls of all these controllers are all the same for PT, (fader up/down, button on/off) there's nothing specifically embedded for individual devices, it's the individual personality files that translate to the specific hardware. The data is not encrypted.