Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2009, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Please Tell me that I am Kidding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Yeah, & we say 32 but in retrospect it's really 16 in most cases because ur mostly gonna use stereo busses; I usually have 3-5 reverbs alone for different things so thatz 10 with only 6 left...
+1
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
KB, don't you mean 8 total, 4 stereo.. And I think you only need an ADAT cable.. In to out...?? I've certainly never needed that many.. I'm simple
Ahhh yes; I kept sayin to myself when I was typing it that I was off but I was on the phone with Charge 'em (thatz what I call this guy I talk to because everytime he calls u either have to charge ur phone up or have it on the charger) but I was typing @ the same time & didn't correct myself; but yes, 4 stereo or 8 mono...

Thanks Flommer

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-25-2009, 05:24 PM

I may be missing something here as well as the DTS guy.

I use a buss when I want to submix the mix. Then again I will add about 3 aux busses for vocal effects. I will take all guitar tracks with their own plugs if needed to one bus, all acoustics with their plugs if needed to their buss, all drums to their bus etc...then paint them yellow and start mixing the sum of those I painted yellow (color coded on the bottom). That is just how i do it but can't imagine having 32 busses even if I was mixing an orchestra. Could you imagine having 2 busses for each instrument? I do not understand your logic but that is why people know more than me.

Please educate me on this technique.

For all complaints click here

DAW
-
Digi003 PC-Sweetwater CS dual 3.0/Asus 975X Chipset/CPU dual 3.0GHz/800MHz FSB/RAM 4GB/Radeonx300se/4 internal glyph sata drives/ 3 external glyph backup drives/Acronis True Image OUTBOARD-UA LA-610, ADL-600, Digimax lt, Eureka x 2, Central Station, Hearback x 8, JBL LSR, Monster Power Software-PTLE 8.0, Sound Forge, CD Architect Plugins- Too many and too much money spent
Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar97 View Post
I may be missing something here as well as the DTS guy.

I use a buss when I want to submix the mix. Then again I will add about 3 aux busses for vocal effects. I will take all guitar tracks with their own plugs if needed to one bus, all acoustics with their plugs if needed to their buss, all drums to their bus etc...then paint them yellow and start mixing the sum of those I painted yellow (color coded on the bottom). That is just how i do it but can't imagine having 32 busses even if I was mixing an orchestra. Could you imagine having 2 busses for each instrument? I do not understand your logic but that is why people know more than me.

Please educate me on this technique.

I guess one aspect, for me, is that it is just easier and saves time.

Conceivably a person could get by using no bussing at all. Just add your plugs to each track and then go through and write automation for everything from volume to panning to whatever, for each individual plug, on every track. Then when you want it drier or wetter as it goes, or you want level changes, or whatever you have it. It's just much faster and easier to use a bus for it. You perform the actions once instead of many times.

It all comes down to what you want in a song, and even then, further, to personal preference. I don't like sticking a bunch of effects plugs on the main audio track.. I find that I like to blend sounds sometimes.. Who knows, maybe I'll change my perspective one day but right now it's working for me.

Running our of the 32 mono bus tracks is not something that happens often for me, but it does happen. For some folks it's an everyday occurence, which is why they have the CPTK, HD, and why everyone else offers more. Most folks in LE land probably will do just fine with 32. But not all.

My only real complaint with the CPTK was in paying for a lot of stuff that I will never use, (ie: post/video). I'm sure it's all useful, just not for me, but I had to take that along with what I wanted.

Liken it to wagon wheels. They were round, durable, not prone to going flat.. it served its purpose well.. However, folks wanted a better ride... smoother, safer.. so we invented pnuematic tires.. Progress.

YeeeHaawww!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I think I got back on my soap-box again)
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Its not necessarily a rite or wrong, good or bad technique... It just depends on what ur mixing... I spec'd mine out in another thread somewhere & don't feel like searching for but its easy to go thru them depending what u have...

I have records with 2-3 sets of different BGVz, Live strings & live horns, many keys, of course drums which are usually 11-15 tracks(kick sub/snare sub/tom sub) Like I said I usually do 3-5 reverbs(2 being OTB) Parallel ITB bus, etc...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 11-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Start doing a lot of parallel processing and you will eat up busses in no time.

Not to mention that I also use busses to get round the clusterf@$k that is ADC in LE. I find it easier to submix groups of instruments then apply a couple of Time Adjusters rather than have to put them on every single track.

16 stereo busses is ridiculously easy to max out even when limited to 64 (stereo) tracks.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 PM

A recent one:

3 verbs - 6
stereo delay - 2
mono delay - 1
various efx - 4
drum sub - 2
drum comp - 2
guitar - 2
ac guitar - 2
bass - 1
keys - 2
bg vox - 4
lead Vox - 1
various side chain - 3

That's 32 busses right there....
There's absolutely NO problem getting stuck with too few busses on an LE system
Old 11-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
Yeah, & we say 32 but in retrospect it's really 16 in most cases because ur mostly gonna use stereo busses; I usually have 3-5 reverbs alone for different things so thatz 10 with only 6 left...
How do you work that out? If you use 5 stereo busses then that leaves 11 (or 22 mono)
Old 11-25-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLee View Post
How do you work that out? If you use 5 stereo busses then that leaves 11 (or 22 mono)
ur rite(Thanks Geoff/Jeff? for catching that...Typing too fast again... But Still not enuff in some situations though...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 PM

This thread is really an eye opener. Unbelievable how some people work.