Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Request for info: Mbox/Mbox2 noise bursts

Quote:
so - has anyone else put a PCI Express card in their Mac Pro, and had it fix the problem? I would REALLY like that to work.... but am having a hard time finding (a cheap, or any for that matter) Apple compatable Mac Pro PCI Express usb card.
I'd be curious to know if this works as well. The other reports about it happening with other apps when using the MBox suggests a hardware problem that might be tricky to fix via software.

OtherWorld Computing has an Aaxeon PCI Express USB card for $67 (hopefully it's kosher to include a link, as it was requested and I have no affiliation with OWC other than as a satisfied customer):
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Aaxeon/USB4414N/
Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM

2 X 2.66 ghz dual core intel
3gb memory
osx 10.4.8
protools le 7.1.1cs2
original mbox
connected to the rear usb port
3 firewire drives of various sizes (120g, 320, 250) connected to rear ports
2 internal sata 2 drives (boot drive 250gb second drive 400gb)
no other cards installed
white noise problem occurs randomly when using protools, itunes, quicktime, final cut pro and all applications that use the core audio driver. happens when recording to all drives.

I am looking for a usb card today as protools is currently useless to me.

Thanks for addressing this problem.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:06 PM

- Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon
- 2 processors, 4 cores
- 2x2.66
- 3 GB
- LE 7.1.1cs2
- Original Mbox
- if facing the back of the computer, it is the one on the far right
- 2 internal 250GB each - Serial ATA.
2 external Glyph firewire drives: 250GB connected via firewire 400/rear CPU, and 500 Quad connected via firewire 800/rear CPU.
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT is the only PCI card installed for the display. It came w the computer.
- I use the Glyph Quad 500 for use for audio playback/record, and the Glyph 250 for Quicktime playback. I have anywhere from 1-40 tracks, combo of stereo and mono, and typically at 48k. I also have a dozen busses or so. I use my second monitor to play back my quicktime picture on my video track in the session. Ever since I upgraded my computer (from a powerbook G4 without this problem), I encounter the noise problem every time I use the program, at random intervals: could be 30 seconds into playback, could be 9 minutes, there's no telling. I have not noticed any patterns that trigger the problem, but I do know that if I'm recording my mix into tracks in the session, and the noise happens, it doesn't get onto the recorded tracks, it's just in the monitors. Also, I can toggle the sync from internal to spdif and back to stop the noise without having to quit the program. It seems to only happens when playing back, not during pause. I have followed all the steps in the troubleshooting guide, except for disabling processor NAP. I have removed all plugins, reinstalled protools, made a new user, and still have the problem. I have contacted waves, ilok, IK multimedia, properllorheads, and all the other third party companies I use to confirm I have the proper versions installed, and I do. I have done everything recommended, except for install a pci usb card. I plan to borrow another mbox to see if the problem occurs with it as well.

Yesterday, I tried using a borrowed MBox and cable, and experienced the identical problem. I also tried using the other USB port on the back of the computer, which didn't fix the problem. Just for 'fun', I tried using my USB connector or my apple cinema display and also a USB hub: these options didn't cause the white noise, but caused lots of clicking - as if the sync was not clocking right.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 PM

has anyone upgraded to PT 7.3 - and found that the noise bursts went away?

Old 12-09-2006, 05:01 PM

I have not gone to 7.3, Is anyone at digi design trying to figure this problem out? It seems like lots of people are having this problem. This problem keeps comming back!!! I took out all of my plug-ins and it still happens. What is the deal? FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!~
Old 12-10-2006, 03:14 AM

- Machine model: iMac G5 - PowerMac8,1
- Number of CPUs: 1 - PowerPC G5 (3.0)
- CPU Speed: 1,8 Ghz
- Memory: 1 GB
- OS version: 10.4.8
- Pro Tools LE version: 7.3
- What kind of Mbox: Mbox 2
- Which USB port is Mbox 2 connected to? connected to back panel USB port
- List all installed Hard Drives, along with their capacity and how they're connected: laCie 160 GB FW
- List all installed expansion cards: none
- Concise description of your setup:
which hard drive(s) do you use for playback/record? external lacie 160 GB FW
How many audio tracks (mono/stereo? sample rate?) do you typically have in your session(s)? just a few. I mainly work with instrument tracks & Kontakt
Do you have video hardware in your system, and/or video tracks in your session? no.
How frequently do you encounter the noise problem? especially when using plug-ins like D-Verb, within longer working sessions, after opening saved sessions or simply watching movies/TV on the iMAC
Have you noticed any patterns or have ideas about something you're doing that triggers the problem? no.
Any other relevant details? sorry, no.

I have followed this now for almost three weeks since I have bought the Mbox 2 and I must say that I am definetely very disappointed with regards to the hardware. I am not able to work properly with it and spend more time in this forum than in PT 7.3. This ain't fun anymore.
@Digidesign: what are you going to tell customers like me who have decided to spend money in your products but which do not work properly. What is your CRM strategy? What should I tell friends who are interested in Digidesign products?
A proper solution is needed quickly.

Best regards,
kazeeno

Old 12-10-2006, 07:15 PM

any fix for this yet, that doesn't involve spending money? i have to use headphones at night, and i don't want to lose my hearing!!
Old 12-10-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
any fix for this yet, that doesn't involve spending money? i have to use headphones at night, and i don't want to lose my hearing!!
has anyone tried a PCI usb card? Any luck with that - anyone?

Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 AM

-Mac Pro 1,1
-2 CPUs (4 Cores)
-2.6 GHz
-1 GB memory
-OS X 10.4.7
-PT LE 7.1.1
-Mbox Original
-Makes no difference which USB port is used
-ONe internal HD, 232.57 GB
-One NVDA PCI card
-I use the system HD for recording/playback. Typically 20 to 30 tracks in a session, mainly mono, a couple stereo, all 44.1 SR. No video tracks in the session, no Video hardware. Occurance of loud static is very erratic, sometimes very often. Usually not within the first 10 mins of working on a session, after the 1st occurence at least every few minutes during playback and record. Changing a setting in the Playback Engine stops the noise and allows me to work again normally until it happens again.

When this happened while I was printing to a track I heard nothing but the loud static although the recording had recorded cleanly.

Once on playback of a soloed track which had a printed fade on it the playback seemed to ignore the fade in and just play the track at volume with some crazy static. This also has occued during a Bounce to Disk.

PLEASE HELP!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, and if you're new to the thread, please keep the replies coming. The more data we collect, the better.

We are actively investigating this problem, but unfortunately I don't have an ETA for a fix. Pro Tools LE 7.3 does not contain any changes that specifically address this problem.

-EricM, DAE Software Engineer