Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-09-2003, 06:19 PM

Default OT: Filter Freak now shipping!

I'm not associated with this company in any way, but I just had to share my excitement over this one, as I've been anticipating this plugin release for a few months now. I just love a good analog-esque filter, mmm 'yum.....

http://www.soundtoys.com
Old 07-10-2003, 02:06 AM

Default Re: OT: Filter Freak now shipping!

Thanks for sharing...I too have been waiting for this to come out. I checked out the audio samples and I must say this is a plugin I have to have. I can't wait to use this on some synth stuff.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:34 AM

Between this, PSP Vintage Warmer and Waves, I think all my bases are covered, very cool. Have you tried the demo?
Old 07-10-2003, 08:17 AM

If you guys have any questions please let me know, and I would be happy to answer them. I'm glad someone liked the audio samples. I put those together in a bit of a hurry.

Though I'm biased, I think that you can use FilterFreak on just about any track in the mix. You can do very subtle stuff with the analog distortion section that sounds really nice.

I'm glad that we finally got this baby out the door.

Noah
Wave Mechanics
SoundToys
Old 07-10-2003, 08:54 AM

How does this product compare with Filter Bank?

Thanks,

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 07-10-2003, 09:23 AM

Hi Jason,

I don't want to speak for McDSP (who make great stuff) but their FilterBank is really more on an EQ than a traditional "Filter". With both FilterFreak and FilterBank you can boost or cut different freq of audio. But that is where the similarity ends. With FilterBank you can boost between 2 and 6 bands of audio to "EQ" your tracks or mix. (This is a very simple explanation...)

With FilterFreak you can boost or cut specific bands of audio, but you can also add resonance to each band, and have either one or two bands of Filtering change frequencies, gain or resonance based on input levels, midi beat clock, tempo, or a number of other ways. Think more like a Wah than and EQ...but that is still selling it short.

You should download the demo and try it out and see what I'm talking about. Once you get the feel I would be happy to answer any more specific questions. (This one was pretty broad, and I'm sure whole books have been written on the subject. I'm also sure we have a bunch of them...)

Noah
Old 07-10-2003, 10:28 AM

Noah,
How if FF on DSP?? A little or a lot? How many instances on a G4 / 1Ghz? BTW It sounds very cool, a much needed processor for RTAS - I can't wait to check it out.
Peace,
Tony
Old 07-10-2003, 11:14 AM

Hi CrowDog,

I wish I could give you a good answer to your question. There are lots of variables to how many instances you can get depending on sample rate and what preset you are using. We coded FilterFreak to use more or less DSP/CPU depending on what it is doing. I posted these tips up in the TDM sections a few minutes ago:

FilterFreak is doing a bunch of audio processing so it can use a fair amount of processing power. Here are a couple of ways to lessen the amount of CPU used.

a: Run the 1-band version when possible

b: With either version use the fewest # of filter poles possible

c: use it in digital mode instead of analog mode (This makes a huge difference)

As you can see there are lots of nuances to this program because we wanted it to do lots of different things. We also understand that CPU power is very important (When is that new G%5 dual 2gig getting here?: ) and we tried to code the program to work with the user in this regard. The more complicated you get with it the more CPU cycles will be used.

When in doubt start playing with the Presets.

Have fun with it,
Noah
Wave Mechanics
SoundToys
Old 07-10-2003, 03:23 PM

We all know that real analog filtering doesn't come even close to digital filters. I'm not putting down Noah's product, but to this day I haven't heard a good digital filter. If average sound quality and many more instances is your thing then go for it, I went with Sebatron Copernicus Stereo filter. Cost me $400 US, but what a filter, beats Sherman and Electrix for sure. If you guys looking for a simple but killer filter check out these two websites.

http://www.warmcola.com/sebatron/copernicus/

http://www.sebatron.com

He only sells direct, so it takes time to get yours, but actual shipping only took three days by FedEx.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:53 AM

Hi Rubo,

I'm definitely not arguing with your personal opinions on Filters, but have you tried ours out yet? Almost everybody that has used FilterFreak has thought that it sounded amazing, rich and very natural

Also, some of the features such as midi tempo synching, a rhythm pattern editor, and custom LFO shapes will let you do things that no other filter can do. This takes FilterFreak way past doing simple envelope filtering (but it does that pretty well too). Sorry for the hype, but we are really proud of our new software...

Anyway, I do respect your opinion on this, and I would love to hear what you do or don't like about FilterFreak in comparison to other hardware boxes.

Noah
Wave Mechanics
SoundToys