How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 08-03-2014, 11:02 AM

Default Re: AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
What Avid plugins do you have instantiated?

Some folks are reporting CPU burn issues with Sansamp, which (I am guessing) *might* be the old RTAS plugin denormilzation type issues back again with AAX, which used to affect Sansamp and some other plugins. You can try not uninstantiating all instances of each plugin or try inserting a dither plugin in front of the plugins it (which may stop silence sending the plugin into CPU fits). Sorry I have no way currently to test any of this and I disklike spreading what may be total misinformation. But just wanted to suggest something to try. It would be great if this is misinformation, and there is no denormalization type issues with AAX plugins (as I was hoping for...).
I've seen de-normal on AAX64, solvable by dither ahead of it. So it's always worth trying for the sake of troubleshooting. But the cases I've seen aren't "spiking," but just a full-bore max.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 AM

I would like to try the dither work around, but being a noob, I have 2 questions:

1.) Where can I get a dither plug-in
2.) Do I just put it in the folder in front of all the other plug-ins? Or how does that work exactly?

Old 08-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruseleh View Post
I would like to try the dither work around, but being a noob, I have 2 questions:

1.) Where can I get a dither plug-in
2.) Do I just put it in the folder in front of all the other plug-ins? Or how does that work exactly?

Dither is a standard Avid plugin. By inserting before the other plugins just put it higher in the Insert stack in your mix window. Put it first in the stack, then in the dither plugin settings you can chose what bit levels it is dithering to, try different dither depths (leave it at the largest number of bits that helps solve any CPU problem)

If these problems are occurring I would not be surprised if they might greatly exacerbate other problems including 'spiky meters" that could depend a lo on the system and its specs, what other plugins are used/installed and the playback engine/AAE settings.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM

I see. Only problem is, I'm not using any inserts. It's just a dry recording of band practice. Should I maybe try using that plug-in anyway?
Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM

Default AAE 9173 Pro Tools ran out of CPU power

You asked about a dither workaround for other plugins. That question implies you are using a plugin like sansamp in the first place that may have this issue. Otherwise it is not relevant.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Well after doing the things Darryl suggested I was still having issues. Just for fun I dumped 11.2 and went back to 11.1.3. Presto, I can bounce again in realtime (offline was not a problem in either version). Regardless, I had gotten rid of EVERY plug as suggested and still had issues in 11.2. Zero issues, even with low buffer in 11.1.3. I went ahead and reported such and we will see what happens. It was a good 8 hour lesson in problem solving for me, so I don't think it was wasted time.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You asked about a dither workaround for other plugins. That question implies you are using a plugin like sansamp in the first place that may have this issue. Otherwise it is not relevant.
Yeah, I'm still pretty new to all of this stuff. I thought you were referring to the folder housing the plug-ins rather than the inserts themselves. My bad.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
Well after doing the things Darryl suggested I was still having issues. Just for fun I dumped 11.2 and went back to 11.1.3. Presto, I can bounce again in realtime (offline was not a problem in either version). Regardless, I had gotten rid of EVERY plug as suggested and still had issues in 11.2. Zero issues, even with low buffer in 11.1.3. I went ahead and reported such and we will see what happens. It was a good 8 hour lesson in problem solving for me, so I don't think it was wasted time.
I'm not sure what I was suggesting But it was one or more of at least three different things...

0. Check all third party plugins are up to date/claimed compatible with your OS and PT version.

1. Moving aside all third-party plugins from the plugin folder (and both folders if on PT 10). If that dramatically changes things try putting plugins back until you isolate any bad actors. if you find one then followup with that vendors support organization/support forums etc. Just the standard old plugin troubleshooting test.

2. If you are instantiating Avid plugins (not VIs) then try putting a dither plugin in front of them (this is really to check for for denormalization issues/CPU burn suspects like Sansamp and D-Verb... and others I have forgot). If anybody remembers the bad list of denomalization problem plugins from RTAS days please let folks know, that's would be a good suspect list here. I'd have really hoped Avid was able to addressed this with the AAX plugins but it is starting to looks like not. yes there may be third party plugins that have this problem as well.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:42 PM

Yep Darryl - I followed all of your steps as above and for the first time ever (really!) the solutions above didn't work. I did not go quite as far regarding denormalization detective work, but the fact that I have the complete identical setup with 11.1.3 as with 11.2 makes me think maybe there IS an issue in 11.2. I did hit the standard plugin test completely though. I even got the error with no plugins. Time will tell and at least 11.1.3 is running smoothly. I just with I wasn't so insane about having to have the latest updates!
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:13 AM

In an effort to hopefully find some sort of common problem, here's my review of todays long session on PT11...

While playing audio, ERROR 6101 when adjusting parameters in Waves H-delay. Hit play, 6101 again. Hit play, all was fine. This happened again later in the day. Different session, H-Delay again though. Mind you, I use H-delay a lot and there were plenty of sessions open with it, where it didn't cause errors.

Now for the 9173. I got this error randomly when hitting play in a session. Cleared it, hit play and got an ERROR 9172. Closed/Reopened session. All was fine.

Got a 6101 later. CPU meters pinning red. I looked to see what was different about this session and I noticed I had the SANSAMP plug in there. There's something definitely there. I bypassed Sansamp to see if it would affect the pinned meters. It didn't. Then I made the plug inactive. Immediately all 8 cores pinned red for about 3 seconds, then they all dropped down to normal (under 15%).

Later in the day I attempted to real-time bounce this session and it froze. The count-down pop-up just sat there with the length of the bounce showing (not counting down). So I hit ESC. Made Sansamp inactive, and then bounce worked fine.

Finally I opened a small session (only 7 tracks, few plugs) and I was getting 6101's every couple minutes. Seemed bizarre, since the other sessions were about 6x the size/plugs. I had a track in there with Waves CLA1176 and then a Q6 eq. Noticed the 6101's would pop when I adjusted parameters in those plugs, so I removed them from the inserts and re-inserted them. Then all was fine.

Is this the place to be leaving information like this? Does anyone from Avid read this stuff? Should I open a support ticket with Avid?