Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-01-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Who\'s still using PT LE 5 and why not LE 6?

I'm looking for feedback on users' reasons why they haven't upgraded their PT LE software from version 5.x (OS 9) to version 6.x (OS X). I would like to hear pros and cons for the upgrade. I myself am still using PT 5.2.1 in OS 9 and is the only reason I boot into OS 9. Any feedback would be appreciated!
PTLE Subscription - pending
Interface - pending
Midi Controller =M-Audio Axiom 49/USB2
Old 10-01-2004, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Who\'s still using PT LE 5 and why not LE 6?

I have your exact setup, the 32 track beta version 5.2.1.
And I'm still on G4 800.

I've invested thousands in preamps and converters and my system is stable as a rock, and my sound is right where I want it. If I had a studio with clients, I suppose I'd feel compelled to continually upgrade, but since I don't have clients its not a necessity.

In the last 2 years that I've had my 001, and been reading this board, I've read nothing but problems with most of the upgrades.

So although I cannot contribute to most of the DUC threads, I am kind of stuck here in time, in OS9 land, with an incredibly fast, and stable DAW.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:40 PM

i am using 0s 9 and 5.1.1. If it ain't broke ....
seriously, aside from the expense of upgrading and plugs etc...one day when I have nothing but money and time
Old 10-02-2004, 11:29 AM

Default I only have a beige G3!!!

Can't really upgrade to OS X or PT 6 without a more recent model of mac and I can't afford that for quite some time!

Sessions that ran fine with PT 5.1 and OS 8.6 won't playback without removing loads of plug-ins / if at all once I upgraded to OS 9.2 and PT 5.2 beta, OS X is meant to be even more of a resource hog. I don't think I'd touch OS X or PT 6 till I've got at least a 1Ghz+ G4 to run it all on.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:03 AM

Quote:
And I'm still on G4 800.

I've invested thousands in preamps and converters and my system is stable as a rock, and my sound is right where I want it. If I had a studio with clients, I suppose I'd feel compelled to continually upgrade, but since I don't have clients its not a necessity.

In the last 2 years that I've had my 001, and been reading this board, I've read nothing but problems with most of the upgrades.

So although I cannot contribute to most of the DUC threads, I am kind of stuck here in time, in OS9 land, with an incredibly fast, and stable DAW.
My sentiments exactly!

I'd really like to hear some positive experiences from PT LE 6 users who don't regret leaving OS 9 behind.

Anyone?

Meanwhile I'm still harboring the strong impression that we'll have to keep waiting for Digidesign to get it truely right for OS X.
Interface - pending
Old 10-03-2004, 11:21 AM

I've stayed with an 001, 5.2.1 and 9.2.2 on an G4 upgraded to 1.3mHz. The Digi002 didn't offer any real improvement (I/O) over the 001, 96k at the 002 level of converter quality wouldn't be worth it and would use too many CPU resources. So I was content with my out board preamps, conversion and effects and besides that, I was backlogged with mixing work and didn't want to destabilize my system. I had originally planned on going to OSX at some point, but I didn't want to be out on the bleeding edge this time around. I felt between the OS, PT and the plugins there was too much change happening at once and I would be asking for trouble. With the frequent OSX upgrades I wanted to wait until OSX matured a bit before making the move and I'm glad I waited, because over the last 18 months there's been lots of posts from frustrated users with system problems here on the DUC. Although a few months ago I had to replace my system drive and I partitioned a section for OSX with an eye towards the future.

Well the future came a few days ago. In one fell swoop I upgraded to OSX 10.3.5 and PT 6.4cs6 and it went as effortlessly as any SW upgrade I've have ever done in my life. I am digging OSX, it's just more modern,dynamic and flexible than OS9. PT has been actually more solid on OSX than OS9 so far ( I've had some infrequent random freezes and quits in OS9 ). Since I had upgraded my plugins to newer versions for OS9, I had the OSX installers already, those intallations were a piece of cake and didn't even need to be authorized since they are on the same drive as the OS9 auths.

PT 6.4 is much better visually and adds some cool new features over 5.2.1, and most importantly sounds just as good as before. The free bomb factory 1176 is nice, the built in click is nice, Digibase file management is elegant. I need to work on the command focus keyboard shortcuts - they're probably one of the most powerful features of the upgrade and have yet to pay attention to Reason, Live and Rewire although that is an option now on 6.4. So far I'm glad I waited ......... and glad I upgraded.

I would like to see Digi come out with a 48 track, expanded Digital I/O (at least 16 ADAT or AES) before I have to buy an 002 to take advantage of any irresistable future OS upgrades, since 001 is officially a legacy product. Here's to hoping ....... cheers.

Tony
Old 10-03-2004, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
And I'm still on G4 800.

My sentiments exactly!

I'd really like to hear some positive experiences from PT LE 6 users who don't regret leaving OS 9 behind.

Anyone?

Meanwhile I'm still harboring the strong impression that we'll have to keep waiting for Digidesign to get it truely right for OS X.
My 6.4 system is just rock solid, Although I only used ProTools FREE in OS 9, I just love the power and stability I've got with my 002r and FW800 G4. It may not be the fastest (according to some people, anyways), but i have no problems with it. It just works.

I will, however, wait to buy a G5, so that PT can be fully optimized for the architecture.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:38 AM

Two features I lost in v6 that makes me want a system with 5.3.1 (XP).

one: you can no longer Strip Silence at less than 19ms. The 'fine adjust' quit working at v6.
*** No one at Digi is fessing up to this either.

two: the fade ins/outs in v5 respected the setting as individual. v6 gets all confused and thinks that it must have the complement curve on the opposite end of a region. This is really messy when you are not sure what the profile of the fade is.

Considering most of my work is Solo instrumental or solo vocal+solo instrument, these two are very important to me and makes v6 virtually useless for my first processing step.

Yes, v6 is up to date and more stuff, but loosing features that you've become accustom to is a bad light on Digi. Not responding to these through tech support and/or the DUC, well, that's plain wrong
Old 10-03-2004, 05:13 PM

Still using OS9 and PT 5.2.1 on a 001....solid......i would need a dual G5 to take true advantage of the OX system....

I have been spending my cash on new mics and pres...

rock

sdf

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 10-04-2004, 08:42 AM

Quote:
PT 6.4 is much better visually and adds some cool new features over 5.2.1, and most importantly sounds just as good as before. The free bomb factory 1176 is nice, the built in click is nice, Digibase file management is elegant. I need to work on the command focus keyboard shortcuts - they're probably one of the most powerful features of the upgrade and have yet to pay attention to Reason, Live and Rewire although that is an option now on 6.4. So far I'm glad I waited ......... and glad I upgraded.
....... cheers.
Tony
CROWDOG thanks for the reply. Have you notices any difference in program response or time lag since you upgraded? Also have you experienced any of the issues mentioned in SimpleNatureSpirit's post? ei:
Quote:
one: you can no longer Strip Silence at less than 19ms. The 'fine adjust' quit working at v6.
*** No one at Digi is fessing up to this either.

two: the fade ins/outs in v5 respected the setting as individual. v6 gets all confused and thinks that it must have the complement curve on the opposite end of a region. This is really messy when you are not sure what the profile of the fade is.
Interface - pending