Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-11-2003, 05:59 PM
soundboy69 soundboy69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Posts: 1,209
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

...yes, yes they are... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
__________________
soundphaRm
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-12-2003, 12:22 AM
crowdog crowdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
Posts: 609
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

danl,
I'm bought an OWC 1.3Ghz upgrade a couple of weeks ago for the old G4/500, which used to get about 11 davec tracks. The upgrade gives me a solid 22, shakey 23 tracks.

Installation was cake and performance is flawless. I checked alot of my older mixes that maxxed out the 500mhz processor and usage is a good bit less than 50% now.

Good luck with it.
__________________
___________________________________________
Mac Pro 2 x quad-core 2.8Ghz / 14GB RAM / OSX 10.6.8/ PT10.0.1 / 003R
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-12-2003, 09:17 AM
Bender Bender is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,146
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

I know people who never heard of this forum.
Never talk about how much power they have and never have any problem. They make good music too.
If you are not having trouble with your system and you are productive thats what counts.

If I were buying now. I would get a G4 because it will take a while for eveybody to get caught up.
I'm sure I will be reading posts in the near future about PT6.1 not working on G5's and how mucj PT sucks. How many times have you seen these posts next to each other.

WHATS TAKING SO LONG WITH THE NEW UPDATE

COME ON PRO TOOLS WE ARE NOT YOUR BETA TESTERS

So many people are in such a hurry to get ahead and do not really need it to make good music which is the only real point.

Would you buy a new car everytime a better faster one comes out.
I respect eveyones opinions but way to much time is spent on the tools when it should be spent on the music.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-12-2003, 12:02 PM
Thresholdproductions Thresholdproductions is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Vancouver B.C. Canada
Posts: 135
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

I keep reading about people waiting for programs to get caught up to the G5..I'm guessing the 64 bit bus speed. I remember clearly Steve Jobs saying in the keynote speech that all 32 bit apps will work fine on the new G5s. You can still use them and when the app gets an upgrade you'll be rocking at 64. So I don't really see the need to wait till next year. Maybe a month or two to see if there are any real mechanical problems, (which I doubt...Macs are preaty good out of the box).

The only thing we need to wait for is Digi's lazy ass to get caught up to last years technology. Maybe by late Fall they will have a G5 driver for the 001. I for one can't keep waiting... I need my computer for many diffrent things other than just Protools (like final cut pro, photoshop and all the other OS X programs I use). Programs that don't require some magic brew of only the right kind of ram, only the correct harddrive, and only the correct configuration of hard drive formating for them to work. They just work with what ever configuration I have in my computer. They'll work at 32 bits and they will work at 64 when thier update will be worked out. Some of you out there will be able to use the SPDIF I/O on the G5 while the 001's drivers will be developed. In the mean time I will use logic w/ midi and their arsenal of kickass softsynths.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-13-2003, 12:13 AM
crowdog crowdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
Posts: 609
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

I think the G5 is gonna be too much machine for PTLE, the DSP available will not fully be used with the artificial 32 track limit . Unless Digi comes out with a 48 to 64 track Native version of PTLE. It will be interesting to see what Logic, DP or Nuendo are capable of with the G5.

I'd love to see Digi step up to the plate and take a big swing because I love using their software - I know it well and it just performs well on a regular basis, but the gap may widen to the point that it be foolish not to take a hard look at what else is out there.
__________________
___________________________________________
Mac Pro 2 x quad-core 2.8Ghz / 14GB RAM / OSX 10.6.8/ PT10.0.1 / 003R
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Flux 1.21 Flux 1.21 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Philly
Posts: 315
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

There is no such thing as too much machine for PT LE.
__________________
002R - 7.3.1
Macbook 2.0 GHz with 2 GB of RAM


www.myspace.com/monkeywrenchmusic
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-13-2003, 05:47 AM
stoogee stoogee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England, UK
Posts: 481
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

So how will a G5 1.6 compare to say a G4 1.25???
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-13-2003, 09:16 AM
soundboy69 soundboy69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...
Posts: 1,209
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

Don't know for sure, but even at 32bit it'll probably run circles around the DP G4, due to system wide improvements. Just an educated guess, though... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
__________________
soundphaRm
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-14-2003, 05:24 PM
stoogee stoogee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: England, UK
Posts: 481
Default Re: Now I\'m not sure whether to get a G4 Dual 1.25 or the new G5 ??

well thanks all, enlightening!

SG
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual CPU's 2x3.0GHz Xeon Dual Cores and Mainboard roscom Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) 1 10-24-2006 10:55 AM
Dual OS's Dual PT Versions expected problems? Jesse K Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 06-12-2006 06:36 PM
Quick opinion...Refurb Dual 2.7 or Dual Core 2.3? RobbaDobba 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 3 05-04-2006 02:31 PM
dual 800 with dp....altivec, and dual processor support. look at the diffrence. graphite 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 09-09-2001 08:44 PM
Hey Digi, dual 500 (year 2000) or 2001 dual 533 for use w. PT 5.1??? maxx Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 0 05-12-2001 11:48 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com