Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Hackintosh - Salvage your HD PCI cards - You Can Do It Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber View Post
Any suggestions for a wireless modem for Mountain Lion Hackintosh instaaled with Tonymacx unibeast. MOBO is a Gigabyte P55 UD 3R
What do you mean just a wifi card?

I don't know what a wifi modem is unless you are referring to a 3G or 4G USB dongle.

If you mean a wireless card... the TP-link WDN-4800 will work with your motherboard in the first PCIe x1 slot. It is also natively supported by OSx, so you won't need to install and additional kext or software.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:52 AM

I'm late to the party. Just a few quick questions:
1. What's the highest version of Pro Tools HD to fully support PCI-X cards
2. What's the highest version of the Mac OS to support Pro Tools HD with PCI-X cards
3. Will new/current parts(mobo, processors, etc...) work or at this point is it a search for discontinued parts?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-06-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando View Post
I'm late to the party. Just a few quick questions:
1. What's the highest version of Pro Tools HD to fully support PCI-X cards
2. What's the highest version of the Mac OS to support Pro Tools HD with PCI-X cards
3. Will new/current parts(mobo, processors, etc...) work or at this point is it a search for discontinued parts?

Thanks in advance!!
1) Pro Tools 10HD. You can use the latest build, but it includes a nasty input-monitoring bug, so I would advise to stay at 10.3.8
2) OSX should be as per Pro Tools 10 requirements.
3) Unfortunately I don't have knowledge about the modern parts
Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for your reply!

Looks like PT HD 10 is only supported up through Mountain Lion. Looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

It would be great if anyone could chime in who has done a recent PCI-X Hackintosh build as I'd like to know if current parts are compatible with the PCI-X architecture and the required OS builds.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-06-2014, 05:30 PM

Always been a Mac user. But I am curious to, with all the hassles dealing with OSX versions and hackintosh, why not just use windows 7?

I've used HD on a few windows rigs in the past and you cannot tell the difference. Everything was the same, except for the control key, and all the plugins work cross platform. Sessions opened and saved fine.

I know it's a mindset but apple osx has become a moving target.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Default Hackintosh - Salvage your HD PCI cards - You Can Do It Too!

The only reason I've built hackintoshes in the past is due to metric halo. Their interfaces have always been osx only. But they have previewed an upgrade that will, among other things, make them windows and linux capable. So I'm starting to price a new rig. I'm not on HD, so I have more options. But IMO the only reason not to use windows, is incompatibility with some hardware/software you can't live without.

That said a hackintosh can be just as stable as a windows rig or a real apple. The only caveats can be OS upgrades. You sometimes have to re-patch/reinstall a kext or two. But with UEFI bioses becoming the norm, and compatible bootloaders like clover being developed, along with some mobo manufacturers helping out, it's becoming easier and easier to build a hack.

Built in os support can be a hang up sometimes also. Like the e5 Xeons. You can get them to work apparently, but it takes some more in-depth work. However once apple starts using them in the Mac pros, they'll probably be just as easy as any other hackintosh build. So staying on the bleeding edge can be tough with a hack build.

All this said I plan to triple boot my next build. And see which option fits me best. And if that means windows, and I think I might, that's fine by me.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Hello Everyone!

It has been a great read. I have spend probably close to a month trying to figure out the parts I will need for my HD2 Hack.

I have my rig up and running on:

NAF93-Q77
i7 3770
16GB Ram
HD4000 On-board graphics
SSD for system

Installed HD Core in PCI 1 and Accel in PCI 2,
Installed Protools 10,
Connected 192 interface to HD Core,
The cards are not found by the OS,
When I start PT I get a message that the Interface is not connected to the first HD Card.

Moved the cards to slots 4 and 3, Uninstalled and installed PT10.
Same thing.

What am I doing wrong?
Whey cant the OS find the cards?

Any input would be appreciated!!

Thank You.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Install 1 card first, then when installing pay attention to the menu that shows HD Accell/TDM or HDX and select the correct one.

Then after the reboot, the System info should be showing the board installed, then run Pro Tools and check.
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 12-08-2014, 03:44 PM

Hey feliponk!

Thanks for the reply!
Can you please let me know Where is the menu?
MY PT will not even start up :-(
Old 12-08-2014, 04:29 PM

I just placed the core card in pci 1, no accel.
bootet the sustem.
I noticed that the LED light on the Core card blinks for a second when I power up the computer but it does not stay on.
Still not found in the system