Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Plugin assignments CHANGED in a saved session

I'm working on a session for the first time since upgrading to HDX from my old workhorse PCIx HD4Accel rig. It's on a hex-core Westmere with 24GB of RAM, running 10.7.3 and 10.1.2

As a PT user since 1991, I'm a little perplexed.

I was working on a sorta 'practice' session ... doing some mastering and messing around heavily with plugins to put this rig through its paces and acclimate a bit; lots of inserts going. Some Waves (S1 MS matrix and shuffler, MDW 3.0 Helios EQ, URS N series, Flux Bittersweet and Softube's Saturation. More than I'd typically use on anything in earnest, but many of these (outside of the MDW and S1 matrix/shuffle) are new to me, and I want to get an idea of what they do before going live-ammo with any of them.

Anyway, at some point in the session, I started hearing crackling if my master fader was down at zero, but it would clear up when it was anywhere above zero. I checked clock cable, toggled between internal/wordclock ... still persisted. I figured it was worth a restart. So, I saved the session and restarted.

Here's where it gets interesting.

When I restarted, relaunched PT, and re-opened the just-saved session, the crackling behavior was gone, but so were all instantiations of MDW, and I think, one instantiation of Softube Saturation Knob. Now, it's not that the inserts in question were blank, mind you .. they were OCCUPIED BY DUPLICATES OF OTHER PLUGINS FROM OTHER INSERTS ON THE TRACK (complete with the same settings from their original instantiations). ie: On one track, there was an additional D3 DeEsser where the MDW should have been AND where the Softube Saturation Knob should have been, and on another track, there was a duplicate Softube Saturaton Knob where the MDW should have been.

Perhaps it's noteworthy that I was using unlinked dual-mono versions (running in M-S between the Waves plugins) ... I dunno. But I can tell you, I won't be parting with my old rig anytime soon if I can't rely on Pro Tools to correctly save and recall my plugin assignments, let alone their settings. Especially in the case of the MDW EQ, this could cost me a TON of work, as getting the little cuts dialed in in M-S is probably the most critical thing I ever do with plugins.

Thankfully, this thing can't disappear any of my analog gear.

Has anyone seen this? I really hate being on the bleeding edge anymore.

-Dave