Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-08-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Back-up/2nd Hardrive/Partition suggestions needed

Re: Backing up sessions, I'm considering backing up files on CD. Is this a viable solution? Any other inexpensive suggestions?

Re: Hardrive/Partition, I don't have the luxury of a 2nd computer for other software. Would partitioning the drive or installing a 2nd internal drive improve my computer's efficiency? Also, would this be a better solution for backing up sessions?
Old 01-08-2004, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Back-up/2nd Hardrive/Partition suggestions nee

You can never back up enough. Redundancy saves your hard work! I have backed up to CD which depending on your song (band, hip hop, etc) could run either very big or very small. For me I was able to get a song on a CD. They can get pretty big. I now have a DVD burner for completed, not going back to songs. I backed up about 70 percent of my songs to one DVD (Fairly enexspensive now. around $200 on sale).! I also have a third external FW HD (about $120 with HD if you build yourself, which takes 5 minutes) for backing up temp, non completed songs. It is tamper proof because I turn it off when I am not using it. So to the outside world, it doesn't exist.

My suggestion go DVD burner for backup. and read below.

I noticed you said 2nd drive which would mean you don't have a dedicated one for audio. This should be your first buy. That way if you OS crashes or worse, it won't take your audio with it.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:54 PM

Definitely install a dedicated second physical drive, not a partition of yoursystme drive for audio. Your efficientcy will drastically improve.

Regarding backup, you can use your system drives available space, get a removeable drive(USB, FW, etc0 or burn to CD or DV. since most sessions are larger than the capacity of a CD-R, DVD is a more practical format. however for ongoing projects it si costly and time consuming. DVD is however a good choise for long term archive.

I recommend a fw drive that meets the Digi requirements, 7200rpm, oxford911 chipset, that you can backup or read/write from. There are many on the market for a few hundred dollars to a few thousand. We use a Firedock system that we love, that allows drive swapping with a single set of fw elecronics.

there's more info on the subject on this post.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:03 PM

CD sounds like it may not be the answer.

I knew I should've gotten the DVD burner when I got the G4. I figured I'd save a few hundred, thinking I would never need to burn DVDs. Maybe I'll go back and get the super drive from Apple. That sounds like good storage for finished songs.

Sounds like I need at least another HD. Most of my songs are at various stages of incomplete.

I sure don't have a 2nd drive for audio. I think that was my initial reason for creating this thread, but I lost the thought. Mandatory, huh? If I had a drive dedicated to audio, could I then use the original drive for backing up files, or would that drive still be susceptible?

Thanks for the response Citi!
Old 01-08-2004, 02:16 PM

Where,

Yeah, it's starting to look like I have to have an 2nd drive. Any suggestions for something internal for space saving reasons, or are the external units the way to go?

I'm sure I'll be back in a few weeks asking how to set things up.

Thanks for the reply and link!
Old 01-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Bezo - I replied to your other thread. I would only go Firewire/external if you really need it (like reording on another computer as well). IMHO nothing beats a good intenal drive (especially if your recording with a firewire device already).

You've sort of got 2 issues going. A separate and dedicated audio drive and a backup drive. I'd start with the dedicated audio drive and backup to CD until you can afford anoth backup device.

Old 01-08-2004, 03:57 PM

Get yourself a Western Digital Caviar or IBM/Hitachi drive with the 8mb cache. under $100 from http://www.newegg.com with free 3day fedex.

Installation is simple, Apple tells you how here.

You can install a 3rd internal HDD under the optical drive as well.

You'll get the best performance from internal ide drives. And yes, you can use the remaining space on your system drive for backup. jsut be careful not to fill it past about 80% capacity, or it will start to slow down and your performance will suffer.

FWIW, you can purchase the Pioneer superdrive and install it yourself in place of the CD/DVD rom drive you got with your G-4. It burns standard CD-R's as well as DVD-R. they go for under $200 now, so you definitely saveed yourself some moeny by not getting it.

You can then put the CD drive into a firewire enclosure and have two burners, slick huh?

Feel free to e-mail or call if you have any quesitons.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:10 PM

Carl... Where,

Thanks! As serious as I am about this music, you would think I would've asked about this months ago.

I'll do some reading/research and see if I can make a decision over the weekend. I'm currently shopping for a new drum machine, bass, DI Box, and now drives, so some of these will have to wait.