Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2019, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Using multiple versions of ProTools??

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsongs View Post
First you say, why are doing all the research & calling etc...

Then you say why don't you do the research etc.
I'lll repeat what I've said clearly just a few posts ago, yet again because you seem to have some mental problem following the most basic train of thought. You are the only person here who thinks calling up customer support organizations and getting yourself confused about everything is "research". Get off your ass and go online and work out stuff, stop calling customer support people thinking they will give you easy answers. What is hard to understand with that?

Quote:
Then responses like, get the most expensive SSD you can afford... ???? That doesn't tell me anything... Are we talking $180 or $700 or ?
That was in the context of buying an iMac with an internal SSD. Get the largest internal SSD you can afford. Meaning, again, you need to get off you ass and go look at iMac models Apple has for sale and play with configuring them and see what the largest SSD you can afford is that meets your storage space needs, along with other stuff you can afford that makes a useful system.

Want to know how much a Samsung 860 Evo SSD upgrade for your MacBook Pro will cost... WAIT FOR IT.. get off your ass and Google that drive model, look on Amazon etc at different size/price options. Do some work yourself.

Quote:
I'm still not sure what other basic information I haven't provided that you are asking for???
I gave you a list above of 7 questions. Just a few posts ago. What is wrong with you? Do you have a medical problem with short term memory loss? Had recent severe trauma to the head? Self medicating with the good weed?

And folks are replying to you on this thread that you started asking for help to get multiple versions of Pro Tools on your laptop (not discussing an iMac) now you sound like you are not even sure you want to do that or not? Then why did you start this thread?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-07-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
First you say, why are doing all the research & calling etc...

Then you say why don't you do the research etc.

????

My original intent was to buy a new IMac. I just wanted some Input from you guys as to what you'd recommend. You guys were the cause of changing the discussion to rebuilding my MBP! Not me...

So it seemed like a possibility... But it was never my intention or idea...

I've read about the System requirements. The info is often vague & confusing.. I thought I could get some guidance & explanation... I do but usually with criticism.

Then responses like, get the most expensive SSD you can afford... ???? That doesn't tell me anything... Are we talking $180 or $700 or ? Also, is there a certain configuration or ?

I've gone back & re-read the original Thread & the Samsung 860 Evo SSD& the Samsung SATA SSD are the only ones I saw that are recommended. But, not from OWC. I'll check those out at Crucial etc.

I'm still not sure what other basic information I haven't provided that you are asking for???
In no particular order since that seems to suit you:
SSD - get the largest one you can afford. You can never have too much drive space. I'm not going to give you particular models as you have to research that yourself but generally you can't go wrong with something from Samsung. Also keep in mind what will work in your MBP.

The reason we all got into rebuilding your current computer was that very often people don't realize that with a few changes you can turn a slug into a firebreather. But to help with that we need EXACT info on what's in your machine. You've been given the method to do that many times. Being that you can't decipher or take the time to decipher what System Profiler shows just take screen shots. For how to do that MGYF (make Google your friend). Then post said screenshots here.

You keep calling support departments and very often those people don't really know what they're talking about at least as regards music use. They work off of scripts and beyond basic stuff which anyone can find if they do the research themselves. Again MGYF. If you ask about what you should buy from sales support most often they'll try and sell you the most expensive thing they have and don't care about your budget. And even then this is something you can look up on their website.

You can't go through life expecting other people to make your decision for you and do the research for you. It's like the old proverb: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a meal. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. We're trying to teach you how to fish.

QAPLA!
Old 05-07-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
There are multiple questions asked here labeled with # and a number. See if you can answer every one of them in one reply.

(#1) ... and again for the nth time how much free space is on your current 1TB boot drive??

So now after many months we actually know that the internal drive is utter crap, that is a lesson to you for wanting to deal with all these frigging support organizations. You should never have paid Apple to put that crap in your computer. As Christoper says, you should plan on replacing it with an SATA SSD, a Samsung 860 Evo would be a good choice. You should get one large enough to have lot of space to install two boot partitions. Maybe you have that already in the external drive you purchased.

I am suspecting you may want to keep the external SSD for an audio/session drive (or do you already have an external audio/session drive - if so

(#2) what is the exact make/model/specs of that audio/session drive?

(#3) what exact external drive (SSD) did you purchase for your install tests? make, model number/code, size, specs. etc. If it's a separate SSD in say a USB caddy, give the details of all the parts.

(#4) how exactly is that external SSD connected to your MBP?

(#5) Do you have backups of your working system?

(#6) How were the backups made?

Ideally made to some other drive... not the external SSD that you likely want to be experimenting with now. But to another drive (does not need to be an SSD, a 7200 HDD is fine) you can make a full clone backup to then hide away somewhere. Make sure things like personal documents and sessions are backed up in multiple places, like to cloud storage as well.

You cloned you internal HDD to that external SSD already, but then made the mistake of trying to in-situ upgrade macOS on that external drive... assuming you have a working system for Pro Tools 10 on the internal drive. Then the next step is t try to get 2018 running elsewhere.

(#7) Are you familiar with Carbon Copy Cloner from your existing cloning and backups? If not what are you using to clone stuff? This becomes important later as you shuffle disks partitions to upgrade the internal HDD to an SSD.

I would get Mojave and Pro Tools 2018 and ILM etc. installed on a partition on the external SSD. Just forget High Sierra and go with Mojave now and see if all this works. Then you can clone that elsewhere depending on exactly your internal replacement drive situation. But you will have made some real progress for a change. To do this, boot off the internal drive and erase your *external* drive in disk utility. Then create two equal size partitions on that drive, you can play with resizign them later if needed). You'll play with testing Mojave and 2018/2019 on one of those partitions. Download the (~6GB) Mojave installer from the Apple App store to your internal HDD. Run the installer there, but you do not update the running OS X system, select the installe rmenu utems to do a full lcean install in one of the two opartitions on your external drive. Wrtie down a list oif the steps you are foing to do. Research stuff online if needed and work through that carefully.

Do a full clean install, do *not* use systems migration utility to move old stuff to the new partition.

Once macOS Mojave is booted and running off the partition on your external drive, install Pro Tools 2018 and ILM, and any interface drivers, check it all works. Then install any third party plugins and other tools checking they all work as you go. Work out how you are going to license Pro Tools 2018, you'll either need at least an iLok 2 (if you only have an iLok 1 today, get a iLok 3) or to use cloud licensing for 2018/2019.

You need third party plugins up to date/compatible with Pro Tools 2018 (you needs AAX-64 versions of any current RTAS or AAX-32 plugins you are using on Pro Tools 10). Make a checklist, and work from it. Get organized, research anything mentioned above that is not obvious, do you own research to understand compatibility and requirements details. Get all the installers you need downloaded ahead of time. Go slowly working from your checklist.
1. Remaining Space on Internal Drive - 757.06 GB

(I have Glyph 1 T External Hard Drives)

2.Best I can ascertain

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 7 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Physical Interconnect: SATA
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)
Model: APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662
Revision: JA0AB5D0
Serial Number: JD8002D81Y272D
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 5400
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
disk0s1:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s1
Content: EFI
disk0s2:
Capacity: 999.35 GB (999,345,127,424 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s2
Content: Apple_CoreStorage
Boot OS X:
Capacity: 650 MB (650,002,432 bytes)
BSD Name: disk0s3
Content: Apple_Boot
Volume UUID: 00CA8EA6-5FDF-39F1-A5F9-FE8D9075B1B4

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 7 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Physical Interconnect: SATA
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supported

MAT****ADVD-R UJ-8A8:

Model: MAT****ADVD-R UJ-8A8
Revision: HB14
Serial Number: D0220640CR8DTL7B2
Native Command Queuing: No
Detachable Drive: No
Power Off: Yes
Async Notification: No

3. By Install Tests do you mean for System Backup & Re-Install? If so, Glyph 1 T External Hard Studio Drive. Firewire 800, USB 3.0, eSATA 7200 RPM

4.Connected Via USB

5. System Backups,Yes

6. Backups made to Glyph 1T External Hard Drives

7. Familiar with CCC but Backups were made to Glyph 1T External Hard Drive. System Backups to one Glyph 1T External Hard Drive. Pro Tools Music Projects to 2 Glyph 1T External Hard Drives.

The Prices I quoted re: SSD's in my previous Post from yesterday were taken from Crucial's Website…

I Know how to do Screen Shots but not how to Post them here.. I'm researching that… Hopefully it doesn't require using multi Apps to do..

Thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 AM

Seems like copy and pasting from System Info does work huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Seems like copy and pasting from System Info does work huh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not all, but for some reason, some of it?
Old 05-08-2019, 09:45 AM

As for SSD...

These are the 2 best offered by Crucial for my MBP..

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/macbo...%29/CT11473955

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/macbo...%29/CT11410212
Old 05-08-2019, 10:20 AM

So even though basically the forum hard drive and all things SSD guru Darryl said to go with a Samsung along with everyone else you look at something else? Why even ask for help?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-08-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

So even though basically the forum hard drive and all things SSD guru Darryl said to go with a Samsung along with everyone else you look at something else? Why even ask for help?
Crucial was mentioned a long time ago by Darryl...

But, I posted those Crucials shortly before I was researching the Samsungs!!!

Which for my MBP are,

Samsung 860 QVO: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...mz-76q1t0b-am/
Samsung 860 EVO: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...mz-76e1t0b-am/
Samsung 860 PRO: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...b-mz-76p1t0bw/

Some of you don't want to Help you just want to be Dicks!!!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

Once again Lars proves he's playing us for some sick reason. I can't comprehend someone being as clueless as he is. Like I said earlier he'd be better off getting a Zoom H4N and be done with it. Or hire one of us at say $250/hour

QAPLA!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Crucial was mentioned a long time ago by Darryl...

But, I posted those Crucials shortly before I was researching the Samsungs!!!

Which for my MBP are,

Samsung 860 QVO: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...mz-76q1t0b-am/
Samsung 860 EVO: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...mz-76e1t0b-am/
Samsung 860 PRO: https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...b-mz-76p1t0bw/

Some of you don't want to Help you just want to be Dicks!!!
We all want to help you but there comes a time when we put in a lot of effort to do so and we get paid back like this? If you want to see who the real male reproductive anatomical member is take a look in the mirror.

But in the spirit of helping stay away from the QVO models as it's been reported on the web they have compatibility issues with OSX. And you don't need the Pro version of any ssd as the only difference between the Pro and Evo is the warranty.

QAPLA!